daddystu
Re: Action Item #4 - rolling the ball
  • 2005/2/12 3:24

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

I'll be the first to admit I am prone to thinking too much, perhaps over cautious but I really think we need to focus on the system module, define the terms there.
Move that over to perhaps one of the most common modules and then leave that as the end of this particular Action Item.

The readme documentation I think needs to be a seperate action. It is of course all related but we need to keep these actions small and focussed, builiding on each previous one as we go.

What do you think?

Here is an update of jorge's spreadsheet.

I have added jen's glossary from before and linked it in. Any term that was not yet defined, I added the phrase 'to be defined' to.

There is a new sheet called LABELS.
This contains a simple lookup to the glossary.
It shows which terms have not yet been defined.
NOTE- sorry, the lookup is only for the main labels, in blue, not for the green ones...we can tidy it up later if needed but the green sub-items are not necessarily needing defining anyway?? wodyer think?

It also shows where the same term appears and hence helps consistency checking. (Look at 'functions' ro 'edit' as a good example)

I suggest, jen go through the LABELS sheet, decide which terms need defining and define them. (just overwrite the glossary sheet with an updated version if you have one)

jorge and I can continue with the system and one of the content management modules (these are the most frequently used) and produce a similar setup.

the outcome would hopefully be a clear, consistent definition of the main UI terms and labels.

this is of course the start, not the end

daddystu
  • 2005/2/12 4:48

• daddystu

• Just popping in

updated the spreadsheet, I hadn't done the lookup to the glossary properly, think it is OK now.

jorgebarrero

Excelent Job

Now we are talking....

Yes I like the idea to focus on the System Module. (As a start point of course). The others should be system based.
We should focus on terminilogy, consistency, standarization, readme information, look and feel,

About the schedule for the chat session. Is no problem about timing. The real problem is I do not know about chat software for xoops. The only one I know is 123 flash chat & flash chat. Probably use messenger?

We car arrange a "working site" set our milestones on the products for the System Module (actual an future recomendations like the interfase).

The last thing is getting a "sponsor" on the XOOPS Core development team so that we can formaly present our recomendations.

daddystu
  • 2005/2/12 14:34

• daddystu

• Just popping in

Here is something that I think jen would be good with, but lemme know

Considering the labels for some settings etc.

What are normally labels using imperative verb forms, (use, activate, turn etc..) sometimes are full sentences, too verbose.

I suggest that these be picked out and
1.choose a label more in line with the majority of terms (possibly defining new terms as needed)

2.make the explanation part of a help text....

Example::
SYSTEM > PREFERENCES >
GENERAL SETTINGS

Select groups that are allowed to access while the site is turned off.

Change to something like...
Superaccess Groups
(These groups are allowed to access the site while it is turned off. Users in the default webmasters group are always granted access.)

daddystu
  • 2005/2/12 15:14

• daddystu

• Just popping in

Here is one possibility for a chat.
I have installed Shoutbox on my company site.

jensclas
jorgebarrero
daddystu

are members of a special group that has access only to that module....

if you login with the password qaqa
then see how we go from there....

altiacentral

Please check you can log in first, then we can get back here and try to setup a chat..

daddystu
  • 2005/2/12 15:40

• daddystu

• Just popping in

Here's one full spreadsheet.
version c

This is one cycle through the system module.
Probably missed a few things but should be pretty close.

If we could get a mock-up site set up, that would be great. It would make it easier for us and easier to show a core dev what we are doing...how long would that take though>
I am no programmer either...
it seems, though that a lot of this will be simply editing the php definition lists in the language folder...

chat>
when???
I'm only really free late night here which is
GMT 11:30 (8:30p.m. here) onwards...

jensclas

Hi Guys - it has been a very hectic week - sorry

I haven't forgottrn you though! I have checked out the latest sperad sheet - stay tuned for an update on that gloassary.

I spent a lot of time yesterday looking at read me files - what a mess! There is absolutley no consistency in there at all. I have written an article on them for the Doc's site and it will be there soon - I'll post it here for you to look at - as it is in draft form feedback is welcome!

It is a completely separate kettle of fish for the QA team to consider. Where do we go from here with it?

Re chat..hangon - let me whizz back to one of those posts!

Jen

jensclas

Quote:
Please check you can log in first, then we can get back here and try to setup a chat..

Works fine for me - the big question is when - Weekends will be easier for me to be on when we are all around - But the times zones will need to be taken into account.

I am (GMT+10:00) Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney, Guam,Vlasdiostok

daddystu - whuch one are you? (GMT+8:00) Beijing, Perth, Singapore, Hong Kong, Urumqi, Taipei</option>
<option value='9'>(GMT+9:00) Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Sapporo, Yakutsk

Jorge - are you GMT-3:00) Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Georgetown or GMT-4:00) Atlantic Time (Canada), Caracas, La Paz? (Just guessing!

This means if we were to attemp to work on say Saturday 20th Feb at 11 am my time, it would be 8 or 9 am for Daddystu and it would be 8 or 9 pm Friday 18th for jorge...I think that os right!
If so - the later into the day we go the later into the night Jorge goes.

jensclas

Quote:
Here is something that I think jen would be good with, but lemme know

Well thankyou!

Quote:
Example::
SYSTEM > PREFERENCES >
GENERAL SETTINGS

Select groups that are allowed to access while the site is turned off.

Change to something like...
Superaccess Groups
(These groups are allowed to access the site while it is turned off. Users in the default webmasters group are always granted access.)

HUmm...I agree - only I would suggest 'Allaccess Groups' rather than supergroups....something about the super I don't like.

jensclas
About read me files

Ok guys - here is the link to the file - couldn't post it here as I don't have Zip...Read Me about Readme!

Feedback welcome!

Login

Who's Online

178 user(s) are online (116 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 178

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits