Mamba
Re: Fmcontent module 1.1 in xoops 2.5.4
  • 2012/5/15 7:52

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
IMO it would be great of you follow the GIjo way of cloning modules.
there is one main module in xoops_lib (aka xoops trust path) and one in the modules directory.
then eveyone can clone it simply by changing the name of directory in modules.

Well, that's not really cloning -it's more like renaming a module.

Trabis did a great job with a mechanism for module cloning within Publisher. Check it out. You just need to specify the name of the new module, and the Publisher copies the module files as well as the tables, so you're creating basically a new module, and can use both of them at the same time: the original, and the clone with no dependencies between them.

I agree with you that all future modules should be "clonable" and SEO-ready. We just need to find an easy way to enable all of them to add these features. Similar to what Mage did with "ModuleAdmin" Class, where we don't have to worry about the Admin GUI anymore.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

irmtfan
  • 2012/5/15 8:29

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

I just install this module and it seems i was wrong and this module is clonable and use the same way Trabis use in Publisher but have some issues in language definitions.
eg:
Notice: Constant _MI_NEWS_NAME already defined in file /modules/***CLONEDIR****/language/english/modinfo.php line 22

Also it use the same tables for all clones and use a "story_modid" field which i think it would be better to use different tables with a PREFIX for each clone.

@Mamba:
With this way of cloning modules, someone has to install the original module and then make a clone from it while he/she does not need that original module anymore.

eg: i want to upgrade my old "smartcontent" module to the news (fmcontent voltan) module. i want to keep the old directory. so please tell we what i have to do? should i install the original fmcontent and make a clone?

Mamba
  • 2012/5/15 9:38

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
eg: i want to upgrade my old "smartcontent" module to the news (fmcontent voltan) module. i want to keep the old directory. so please tell we what i have to do? should i install the original fmcontent and make a clone?

Yes, that would be probably the easiest way from what I understand. Unless Voltan has built in some other way too, for example, the GIJoe's way of renaming the directory's name. Then you just would need to copy the files to the directory of your choice, and it would work right away.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

irmtfan
  • 2012/5/15 9:52

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

The fmcontent module is great in my point of view.
It has many many features. i dont see any issue in cloning other than those notices i mentioned in the last post.
Now im testing the CEO feature.

@ mamba:
I think it is not really hard for old module users like me to obey that way of upgrade introduced by Voltan and Trabis.
But it should be reliable and the upgrade script should be write by the module maker (eg: Voltan) for at least the major old contents modules like "old news" "old smartcontent" "old wfcontent" ,... . Then xoops can consider this module as a core module.

@panwac:
As you may already informed from my posts, the clone should be done after installing the original "news" module.
please do not rename anything by yourself. you should install "news" module and then go to the admin -> modules -> news -> tools
then fill the "Folder name" field and click on submit button. then everything goes well.

panwac
  • 2012/5/15 15:13

• panwac

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/11/12

Two things:

1. irmtfan - I suppose, you dotn't understand my last post.
I tested two versions of Voltan's module:

a) first called "news", which is installed on my XOOPS site, where I do not have the original old "news" ver. 1.66 installed - it allowed me to see most of the module functions... and problems,
b) second one, being a clone of the first (it was named: "fmcontent"). This clone was prepared in first website and copied and installed in another XOOPS site, in which I have the original old "news" module, but there isn't Voltan's "news" module installed.

2. This is a good time to do one thing.
Voltan could try to clone his module with a generic name (testnews, fmcontent2 or testcontent) and install it in an empty, test XOOPS site. In this way, he will be able to detect all wrong parts of the code (hardcoded too) and make the "clone" such functional as his "news".
This would enable to create this module really clonable and to increase a group of testers. And also allow posting changes tohttp://xoops.svn.sourceforge.net/ not only in branches/news, but in branches/"clone-testversion" - having standalone "clone" will be good for testers with only one webside and old "news" module installed.

irmtfan
  • 2012/5/16 3:54

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

Quote:

panwac wrote:
Two things:

1. irmtfan - I suppose, you dotn't understand my last post.
I tested two versions of Voltan's module:

a) first called "news", which is installed on my XOOPS site, where I do not have the original old "news" ver. 1.66 installed - it allowed me to see most of the module functions... and problems,

I think I got your points in the first post and now i have better understanding of your issues.

In my last post i wrote that you should install "news" module first and then clone it. Now I should revise my last post that Voltan news module can be clone only when you have "News" folder inside your modules directory. it means you dont need to install "News" you just need to copy 'News" to your "modules" directory. then you can rename "News" to your favorite (eg: YOUCLONE) and install it like any other module. So you have these folders in the modules directory:
/modules/news
/modules/YOURCLONE

Quote:

b) second one, being a clone of the first (it was named: "fmcontent"). This clone was prepared in first website and copied and installed in another XOOPS site, in which I have the original old "news" module, but there isn't Voltan's "news" module installed.

The problem is exactly here. you can not have the "Old news" in your website because as you already well mentioned, Voltan hardcoded the "news" directory and now it has been reserved for all clones created from his news module
Therefore if Voltan really intended to clone his "news" just by renaming the directory and if he want to have an standalone clone i should back to my first impression and tell the community that: "Voltan news is not clonable until now".

To avoid these conflicts, I strongly recommended all developers especially Voltan to release their modules under unique name (eg: vnews for voltan news). In this way they will help community to test their modules without any worries about conflicting with other modules and also they will help themselves to avoid any hardcoded from the relative old modules (here: old news by Herve and news by Voltan)

just my opinions. i will continue my points about this module in this topic at the soonest possible time.

I will inform you about this module

panwac
  • 2012/5/16 9:21

• panwac

• Just popping in

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
...you just need to copy 'News" to your "modules" directory. then you can rename "News" to your favorite (eg: YOUCLONE) and install it like any other module. So you have these folders in the modules directory:
/modules/news
/modules/YOURCLONE
[...]
The problem is exactly here. you can not have the "Old news" in your website because as you already well mentioned, Voltan hardcoded the "news" directory and now it has been reserved for all clones created from his news module

That's right. So, I think, in this moment it will be good to make Voltan's module clonable in the same way Trabis use in Publisher.

Future request:
1. It wiil be good to have a possibility to define articles sort order not only for module, but for any topic too. This sould make a module more flexible => in one component there will be a place for topics with static structure of content (eg. informations about... sport team) and others, working like news (eg. sorting by date).
2. For the index site of module it will be good to add a possibility to select current topics (eg. only topics working like a news) to create a list with articles - I'm not sure, but one of joomla components should have such functionality.

irmtfan
  • 2012/5/16 11:31

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

I should correct my last post again.
You should not uninstall the required "news" module because it will drop all tables in database: news_story, news_topic, news_file

you just can inactive that "news" module.

Quote:

That's right. So, I think, in this moment it will be good to make Voltan's module clonable in the same way Trabis use in Publisher.

yes the cloning system is really need to be corrected at the first step.
then we can move forward and request for additional features.
but i still dont see any regulations from "core developers" or "core team" for cloning.

I test the publisher and its cloning is good.
but i still dont know how to import the old "smartcontent" by keeping the directory name.
I installed "publisher" and then i import the old smartcontent successfully.
then how i can change the "publisher" to "smartcontent"?
same question will be raised for any other module that uses this way of cloning.
I mean if Voltan follow this way of cloning and write an import script then how i can upgrade my old "smartcontent" by keeping the directory name?

bjuti
  • 2012/5/16 11:36

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

Actual SVN version... still can't manage URL rewrite to work. Root and module .htaccess options on localhost WAMP server.

panwac
  • 2012/5/16 12:54

• panwac

• Just popping in

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
I test the publisher and its cloning is good.
but i still dont know how to import the old "smartcontent" by keeping the directory name.
I installed "publisher" and then i import the old smartcontent successfully.
then how i can change the "publisher" to "smartcontent"?
same question will be raised for any other module that uses this way of cloning.
I mean if Voltan follow this way of cloning and write an import script then how i can upgrade my old "smartcontent" by keeping the directory name?

I can only imagine two ways:

1. a) Import from smatrfactory to publisher
b) deinstalation sf module
c) creating a clone of publisher called smartfactory
d) import from publisher to new smartfactory (if it's possible)

2. a) Import from smatrfactory to publisher
b) deinstalation sf module
c) creating a clone of publisher called smartfactory
d) in phpmyadmin export publisher tables with data to a file
e) in eg. notepad++ edition that file to change table-prefix from "publisher" to "sf clone"
f) import data from a file to empty "sf clone" tables

In the past I tryed to place news datas from MDPro to XOOPS by using a second method and it was done successfully.

Login

Who's Online

230 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 230

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits