BlueStocking
Re: Beginners Unfriendly

You might want to start here, Wishlist_for_XOOPS_30 by phppp, and follow the links phppp has provided. In particular, XOOPS 3.0 specs on sourceforge.

Also Wishlist_for_XOOPS_23

He may have more to add but he doesn't seem to be here right now... (maybe he is implementing some of the wish list tasks)
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

BlueStocking

Wizanda,
I have opened up this to anon so that all can see the wonderful work you have done with XOOPS without having to log in.

http://xoops-end-user.com/wizanda/index.php

I invite you to do some documentation on the procedures you used and whatever you feel would be of value to our documentation area.

Thanks ...
BS
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Quest
  • 2008/1/2 12:12

• Quest

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/11/19

@Vargr

Just remember, the template overiding doesn't seem to work if you are using a cloned template set. It does work and works great, as long as your default template in your admin/system/preferences/general-settings is set to Default and not a cloned template set. At least that has been my experience.

Best of Luck! And remember: Never condemn those who try and fail, save that for those who never try.. :)

Quest

phppp
  • 2008/1/2 15:22

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

whoops, I noticed your proposal on sourceforge wiki, which is very valuable and in-depth.

For the specifications/standards, I discussed with two developers very briefly during a face-to-face meeting, no paperwork yet.

But anyway, now we get this part started in public.

Look forward to your further inputs.

whoops
  • 2008/1/2 21:10

• whoops

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/12/30

Thanks phppp, you are very kind.

I have filled in a bit more detail and added one more point. The additional point is not really a concrete proposal as such but it outlines what I believe to be very interesting consequences of adopting the portability and easy installing/updating ideas.

Basically, as I argued here, there is a happy half-way house between centralisation a la Microsoft and an anarchy.

I draw an analogy with Linux (more specifically Ubuntu).
Like Xoops, it also involves distributed development of heterogeneous software but crucially it is focussed by proper version control and dependencies, to the point of having an easy installation and an excellent automatic updater, despite being arguably a lot more complex than Xoops.

Not to put a too fine point on it, if we can pull the same thing off here, we will have a big and beautiful All Singing All Dancing Web Based "Linux"!. Of course, it won't be Linux but it can, in principle, do most things.

Vargr
  • 2008/1/3 18:35

• Vargr

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/6/19

@ Quest:

Thank you again - I will keep your advice in mind when I - perhaps this week-end - will try it out.
Vargr
- 狼 -

Catzwolf
  • 2008/1/3 23:32

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Yes well it won't be any developers who work here with Xoops, you kinda managed to drive a majority of them away DJ.

Login

Who's Online

307 user(s) are online (190 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 307

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits