tom
Re: Help Me Decide Xoops or Joomla
  • 2006/6/15 2:06

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Quote:

Jharis wrote:
Alright guys! This is a free country but lets remember this is a XOOPS forum. Sell your products elsewhere please. You can privetly PM individuals, but please stop blantant product pushing.

don (el paso)

This is not a form of censorship is it, that your trying to quote.

I'm sorry but I shall not be dictated too, this person has asked a fair question, and we've given our opinions along with other options, other alternatives and avenues he may wish to try.

Xoops has no problems with us discussing or showing people other CMS's, and you may ask why, well it's probably because the developers and people whom are part of the main structure here believe in XOOPS as a product.

May I also add there not my products, all my CMS sites are currently xoops.
Kind Regards.
Tom

http://bassmanthemes.com
http://www.xoopslance.com

Jharis
  • 2006/6/15 5:04

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Last I checked I wasn't wearing a badge. No Tom... not sensorship. Just pointing out that this is a XOOPS forum. Often threads become negative toward Xoops, individuals and yes even other CMS. It's true this is an open forum however these forums are here to support Xoops, our community, and potential new users. The content and tone of our post have bearing on this being a healthy community, and impact potential new users, drive off old users, and generally give others across the CMS community an opinion often undeserving of Xoops.

My opinion of course, but I still stand by my previous post.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

draj
  • 2006/6/15 6:24

• draj

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2005/6/23

Hallo!

Quote:

Jharis wrote:
don (el paso)

I was surprised by your reaction and could not gulp your expression to the other post by tom.

Everyone could test every CMS or use it. If they find XOOPS better for their needs than it is good. If not, that does not mean XOOPS is bad!

No one in this thread did try to sell their product. I recommended aMember and AgileCo. Whats wrong. I am not even the user of it.

It is very fair to show a person some alternative. The same happens in other forums. This is an open world of people using open source and by such discussions one sees clearly true spirits of open source.

If it would be a particular company website, I am sure the words you did chose to use "sell your produts somewhere else" would fit perfectly and also could be justified.

If XOOPS is better than other CMS, than no one including to that of developers should not be afraid of other CMS.

Moreover, I like XOOPS more because the XOOPS community is not only co-operative but also an open community and the developers oir users does not see other CMS as enemies!!!

falcon73
  • 2006/6/15 9:58

• falcon73

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/10/21

Dear all,

"Together we stand, divided we fall. Lets keep our community solid."

XOOPS is powered by you! You can explore and create whatever you want. To turn XOOPS into something powerfull, you need to be creative, involve in development, and willing to share your knowledge with others.

Make it real XOOPS!

Regards,
falcon73

tom
  • 2006/6/15 12:53

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

Jharis wrote:
Last I checked I wasn't wearing a badge. No Tom... not sensorship. Just pointing out that this is a XOOPS forum. Often threads become negative toward Xoops, individuals and yes even other CMS. It's true this is an open forum however these forums are here to support Xoops, our community, and potential new users. The content and tone of our post have bearing on this being a healthy community, and impact potential new users, drive off old users, and generally give others across the CMS community an opinion often undeserving of Xoops.

don (el paso)

Never said you were wearing a badge, although it does seem in your original post that you were trying to police comments.

Ohh is this really an XOOPS forum, gosh for the last 5 years I thought this site was dedicated to mental health and sanity?

Even phppp one of the most respected developers at xoops, doesn't have a problem with it, as he pointed out.

Yes the content and tone does have an impact, however each CMS has weaknesses and strenghts, this member asked which one he should use, if we all jumped on and said xoops, xoops, xoops, then this would be being bias, and selfish. however giving opinions and other options doesn't damage the community if anything it makes us stronger, it shows we offer unbiased support in all area's. One member pointed out either in this thread or another, he asked a question here it got answered, he asked a similar question on joomla and still 3 months later he has not answer.

You can stand by your previous post, and I respect that, however still I stand by mine also and shall not be dictated too.
Kind Regards.
Tom

wgragg
  • 2006/6/15 18:12

• wgragg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/9 2

Whoops, just got back in town after being a beach bum for my 30th anniversary and saw all the posts. I certainly did not mean to be the catalyst of any arguments!

First of all, thanks for all of the replies and helpful advice. I really appreciate it and honestly, I respect those that are even willing to recommend alternative products to what I asked. That actually shows some confidence in the XOOPS line.

Second, while I will look at the other things mentioned, the forum help may well sway me over. I've found that if you don't have a helpful community, all the bells and whistles in the world are almost worthless. Besides, being a beginner, it will probably be a while before I even need something really fancy and by that time, it may already be developed.

Third, to Don. I grew up in El Paso. I certainly miss the Mexican food and the Franklin mountains!

Thanks again all!

Wendell

tom
  • 2006/6/15 18:35

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

hey wgragg,

You didn't cause any arguements, just people here expressing opinions they feel passionate about, which is fair and I respect that.

I believe the same about showing confidence in xoops.

Any way if you need any more help then feel free to ask in the forums or pm me.

Take care
Tim
Kind Regards.
Tom

Tandy
  • 2006/6/15 21:10

• Tandy

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/8/11

Look, after all the surm is sturmed and all the drang is dranged, let me leave you with this:

If you know how to FTP(I think you do...) and this is your first CMS experience, XOOPS would be a very, very good choice. Overall, it is easy to setup and administrate, there are a lot of good modules for it and it is very stable.

It's a great way to get your feet wet. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Joomla, as far as I am concerned. The high granularity of control could very well leave you frustrated and off-put. Also, some of the admin functions are confusing.

Not to say that Joomla is bad, it is just more appropriate for a more experienced admin.

YMMV.
"Tricks and Treachery are the practices of fools, who don't have the brains to be honest"-Bejamin Franklin...

Gringo
  • 2006/6/15 21:42

• Gringo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/1/23

I am a newbie to Xoops, I have only been using it since Jan 2006. I run 6 internet only radio stations and they were using either Nuke 7 or post nuke.

I gave other CMS a look se but none of them were as easy as Xoops. I don;t have a lot of time to site and learn new tricks, I am an old dog

The support as been second to none, there are times that some mods give me an ulcer installing, but I think thats down to my lack of knowledge.

I have given several of my DJs XOOPS sits to play with and these people have no web experience and they are learning this very easily.

But CMS is like underwear, Mine fits me perfect but I am sure most of you wouldn't want to wear it :)

davidl2
  • 2006/6/15 22:00

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Quote:

Gringo wrote:

But CSM is like underwear, Mine fits me perfect but I am sure most of you wouldn't want to wear it :)

Very true - and a great quote as well

Login

Who's Online

145 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 145

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits