Meta Copyright
Footer

m0nty
Re: Get your Xoops for only $149.97.
  • 2006/4/1 21:13

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

yes u can change anything, but you can't restrict what people do with it whether that's giving it away or not. which is what they are saying you can't do.

from reading it, they are claiming to have written it.

morally what they have done is wrong and misleading. personally if they have done this with xoops, what other scripts have they done this too.

also calling it myspace aswell can be misleading to people thinking it's a clone of myspace.com. i think their marketin strategy is out of order and just on that note i wouldn't give them the satisfaction of buying anything from them nor recommending them to anybody i know.

devildriver
  • 2006/4/2 20:25

• devildriver

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/4/10

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
all 3 domains (popscript.com, .info, webmasterof.com) are registered throughhttp://www.domainsbyproxy.com/LegalAgreement.aspx

This means that the real registrant is unknown (at least through Whois). It is a prvate registration service.

So for now, all we have is e-mail addresses (admin@popscript.com). I'll try and get a lawyer to write a cease and desist letter, with a deadline.

Herko

"Prohibitions: Domains By Proxy will not do business with you,
nor protect your identity, if you:
• Violate the law or infringe a third party’s trademark or copyright;
"
They break the law, so you can reuqest the registrant identity from www.domainsbyproxy.co

Toppy
  • 2006/6/17 4:50

• Toppy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/6/27

Wouldn't something like the Software Freedom Law Center be able to provide some legal help?

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/index.html

Shine
  • 2006/6/17 7:54

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Good to see this topic has been bumped.
Has there any actions been taking on this and if so,.....is there any news on this matter?
Or was this again a discussion with promisses but bledding to death?

If there hasn't been taking action then please can anybody point me out what I should do towards this person considering my ten times cloned addresses module and the unlawfully providing restrictions this person has made considering my module?

Grtz., Shine

damaster
  • 2006/6/17 9:59

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Maybe you should write a word to XOOPS Foundation.
After all it's why it exists, no!?
Ok, maybe i'm wrong.

I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

Hayden
  • 2006/6/17 18:04

• Hayden

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/17

I too was caught out by this, in fact it was that script that lead me to Xoops. When I questioned them about it they denied it had anything to do with XOOPS and gave me the bums rush. I've lost more that $149 in my time, but it still sucks I was taken in.

They do in fact say, on one of their sites, that you may not remove their copyright nor distribute the script. If you do they will attempt to take legal action.

So, once bitten twice shy.

davidl2
  • 2006/6/17 18:40

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

In fact, Damaster has a point that the XOOPS Foundation can - and probably will - be able to look into this further.

However, they will need more details from a customer of this product.

If you've purchased anything of this nature, can you PM myself - and i'll make sure the details are passed on to the relevent people to investigate further.

Shine
  • 2006/6/17 22:36

• Shine

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2002/7/22

Quote:
However, they will need more details from a customer of this product.

What kind of details do you need more? I've already handed out several details from the code source which proves that they haven't written the script(s) but cloned it.
As you can imagine I and suppose none of those who read this thread will purchase anything at this dark webhost/supposed scriptwriters.

Herko, who still is the leader of (or at least is still involved with the XOOPS foundation) has promised to see if there could be taken legal action. Up until now there hasn't been any updated news on this matter.
Has there any action been taken by the foundation and if so what kind of action has been taken? Are there any results to report?

@ Hayden:
Do you still have the copies of your emails with them? Could you be so kind to paste them within this thread?

Grtz., Shine

Hayden
  • 2006/6/17 22:58

• Hayden

• Just popping in

• Since: 2006/6/17

I'll have a look for you mate. Most of the ones I have are back and forths via paypal. they never responded to my personal mails once.

I notice they've also set up a reseller venture to viahttp://webmastersof.com

Quote:
Hello,
We are maiing you today to inform you about a new resller website that is now available for webmasters. This website was created with one purpose in mind and that is to allow for webmasters to make money online.

You can resell our websites, use graphics archive, create websites for your clients or just keep all the resouces and websites for yourself.

No more paying per script software. Join today and gain unlimited access to our members area.

Thank You.

WebMatersOf Team.

http://webmastersof.com/

Here are some of their posts in the PayPal dispute.

Quote:

This was digital software. The software uses several opensource code to produce a complete package. This software is NOT xoops. This customer is not entitled to a refund and should a refund be honored we will send this debt to a collection agency in the area where this person lives to collect payment. Also, just so the customer knows: It is perectly legal to distribute and change the source code of opensource software and charge for this. Customer needs to read the license!

Quote:

This was digital software. The software uses several opensource code to produce a complete package. This software is NOT xoops. This customer is not entitled to a refund and should a refund be honored we will send this debt to a collection agency in the area where this person lives to collect payment. Also, just so the customer knows: It is perectly legal to distribute and change the source code of opensource software and charge for this. Customer needs to read the license!

And finally

Quote:

Dear PayPal, This order was for digital software that was custom coded. This customer is currently running the software and now decides they want a refund fr digital software. Under PayPal policy, because there is no way for us to actually take back the product or service PayPal does not refund for digital software or for goods that the customer decides are "not exactly" what they wanted. We provided full demos for the software so this customer was happy when the original order was placed. Again, this software is NOT xoops! The customer needs to read the license.

Naturally, there was no refund. I was naive to try. But at least I got SOME kind of feedback from them.

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits