carnuke
Re: The problem with xoops is the lack of support
  • 2005/11/12 15:14

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

The new docs library will be run very differently from the old type. One thing we realised is that we cannot rely on a small group of people to provide and maintain all the required documentation. We tried hard to provide the basics, but beyond that we cannot possibly disseminate and document every module, hack, or piece of software requiring user guides.

It appeared to me that the XOOPS tagline "powered by you" and "developed by you" should be continued with the concept "written by you" for documentation.

This follows the true spirit of the XOOPS community ethos. The new docs system will support this fully, by allowing users to submit, ammend and contribute changes to documentation. All this will of course be subject to approval and moderation, so there will be no chance of an uncontrolled free-for-all

All this opens up the work effort to the community, who I believe is very capable and talented enough to supercede all the previous efforts of a small group of documenters. It will also leave an open door invitation for module creators to submit their own documentation, either themselves, or by an appointed writer or co-worker.

Lance, this I think will speak to your comments about a wiki. However the structure will use a non-wiki module utilising templates, which maintain a more uniform and professional presentaion than a wiki can presently offer.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

elevator
  • 2005/11/12 15:51

• elevator

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/24

I have been exactly where kalpax is and I understand the frustration. I have a different experience with the support community though; I feel like they have all been extremely helpful. That was before the release of version 2.2 and I have a feeling the community was a little bit more relaxed back then...

with that said, I have made a small observation (which may or may not be correct): I have a feeling there are many many more problems related to modules rather than the core cms itself.

What about a list of modules approved by XOOPS that follow the QA requirements set forth? I know this would require even more work for the moderators and support, but at least then users know what modules are proberly documented and what modules are released without much documentation and so proper support is hard to expect. That would also place an incentive on the module writers to properly document their modules, because if they don't, their module it not listed on the "supported modules list" so to speak.

I consider myself an experienced user of XOOPS by now, and although my schedule doesn't permit me to devote too much time back, I am more than willing to provide whatever help I can (document writing, etc.)

Ken.

LazyBadger

Dummy morons must die!!! I can configure, understand and use any and all modules (60+), installed on my Proving Grounds
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

JMorris
  • 2005/11/12 16:08

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Overly aggressive flamers must chill out!

Quote:

Quote XOOPSiquette

Be Nice! - We pride ourselves in being a tight-knit community that polices itself well, and we want to keep it that way. This means showing respect to all members.

It's been really nice and productive around here for the last few days without hateful posts. Please don't start mucking up everthing with your hate. If you have something to say, please say it in a respectful way.

Best Regards,

James
Insanity can be defined as "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Stupidity is not a crime. Therefore, you are free to go.

Herko
  • 2005/11/12 16:19

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

LazyBadger wrote:
Dummy morons must die!!! I can configure, understand and use any and all modules (60+), installed on my Proving Grounds

I think we have our first 'Mentor' here! Thank you for volunteering LazyBadger. It's good to see you have a constructive helpful side as well.

Herko

LazyBadger

Quote:

JMorris wrote:
If you have something to say, please say it in a respectful way.
James

OLD CORRECT FIDO-rule:
"LMD-DML" (for n00bs: "Lamers must die, dummies must learn")

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

LazyBadger

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
I think we have our first 'Mentor' here!

No, I can be only "sansay", if you can see difference here

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

carnuke
  • 2005/11/12 16:32

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Quote:
I consider myself an experienced user of XOOPS by now, and although my schedule doesn't permit me to devote too much time back, I am more than willing to provide whatever help I can (document writing, etc.)

Ken.

Thanks Ken nearer the time, we will be lloking for volunteers to assist in moderation and document housekeeping.
http://houseofstrauss.co.uk Resource for alternative health and holistic lifestyle
search xoops

Fastian
  • 2005/11/12 17:10

• Fastian

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/6/6 0

Quote:
This follows the true spirit of the XOOPS community ethos. The new docs system will support this fully, by allowing users to submit, ammend and contribute changes to documentation.

That sounds great.
It like a "Beginner's Guide from a Beginner's point of view"

Consider me as a volunteer for this. My studies schedule is tough but i will love to help the community.
I m not a Programmer
BUT
I m a Good Learner

Lance_
  • 2005/11/12 17:21

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

Quote:

elevator wrote:
What about a list of modules approved by XOOPS that follow the QA requirements set forth? I know this would require even more work for the moderators and support, but at least then users know what modules are proberly documented and what modules are released without much documentation and so proper support is hard to expect. That would also place an incentive on the module writers to properly document their modules, because if they don't, their module it not listed on the "supported modules list" so to speak.

Ken.

Something was started in this direction. But now we need some structure on getting it done. The QA check list is done, all that needs doing is putting modules through their paces and reporting the results back.

It would be good to have a public list of modules to check, maybe in a forum,(one thread per module) then have the volunteers fill in the QA checklist and post it back on that forum. Moderate those threads so a moderator needs to approve the post before it shows, this way we'll get rid of the useless chatter in those threads. Put out only maybe 5 modules per week/2week period, so as not to have the whole thing undoable by having 60 modules on the list at once.

Anyway, just some rough ideas.
GDL-Web.com :: Website development.
Xoopslance.com::Freelancing and Projects
thelionsden-arena.net:: Clan/League/Ladder Hosting

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits