addicti1
Re: What do you think about new login in Xoops 2.2
  • 2005/7/20 16:48

• addicti1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/7 4

Peekay - In the blocks which display who's online, new members.....and when vewing profiles it only displays the real name not the user name.

addicti1
  • 2005/7/20 17:04

• addicti1

• Just popping in

This is an FYI - I'm getting this when I am in the system module. So I am scared to touch anything!

[edited out: This is not a thread for bug reports, it is for discussing a core feature, Mith]

Peekay
  • 2005/7/20 17:10

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Oh.

I guess you could hide the problem blocks, but that doesn't solve the profiles issue.

I know that some forums allow you to export user data alone, but I don't think you can do that with Xoops. I was thinking that if you could, you could roll back to an older version and copy any image files/uploads manually.

In the meantime, to protect your members' personal info, I would locate the 'Site closed for maintenance' feature PDQ!.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Mithrandir

With XOOPS 2.2 RC2, which we'll release tomorrow if all goes well, the Real Name attribute will be used like it is today, i.e. not really - except in some modules where you can toggle between username and real name.

The core will go back to not use the real name anywhere, and it will - as now - only be displayed in the user's profile.

However, we will have the additional login name attribute which is used solely for login purposes. XOOPS 2.4 may introduce a system preference about which attribute to use for logins (login name, user name or email address), we'll discuss that in the core development team.

The Profile module is not very user friendly right now, however, it should be functional and it should be possible to work out. Refinements will come in XOOPS 2.4, when someone else has pointed out how this can be accomplished.
My strengths are in getting things working, GUI and workflow I need help with.

Remember that XOOPS is a work in continous progress and changes will come, but not all at once.
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

Peekay
  • 2005/7/20 17:16

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

For intranets (where business folk like to show their real name) I think separating login name and display name is a good idea. I look forward to seeing how this evolves.

Methis
  • 2005/7/20 19:17

• Methis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/25

I'm happy to read lots of posts that agree, partially or totally, with me.

I know Mith is right when he speaks about security but he probably forgot that site's usability is as important as security, or probably more, because in security there's nothing definitive but it's a continue discovering new holes and repairing them while if you put a strange mode for login it remains and it's felt so by all users every day, every login....and I think that each webmaster think first of all about his own users's feeling.

davidl2
  • 2005/7/20 19:29

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

The important thing is that much of the groundwork has been done to implement this fully... the selection of asking for it or not is a good idea.

addicti1
  • 2005/7/20 19:52

• addicti1

• Just popping in

Peekay wrote: I was thinking that if you could, you could roll back to an older version and copy any image files/uploads manually.

Do I just reinstall it like I did this one or do I have to place everything manually. How do I roll back to an older version.

adrock
  • 2005/7/20 20:38

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

seems to me, that for now...the easiest thing for you to do would be to just change the SMARTY Value in the templates of the blocks/modules that are displaying the real name instead of the user name. That way, you just edit a few files, and the whole site is taken care of, and none of the users have to know anything about it
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

Peekay
  • 2005/7/20 20:53

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:
I was thinking that if you could,...

Sorry addicti1, the emphasis is on *if you could*. Unfortunately, I don't think you can.

Membership data must be stored in tables in the database, but I suspect the structure has changed for this version which would make exporting and importing that data something of a task.

Out of my depth I'm afraid. I would post a specific request for help in one of the Q&A or Troubleshooting forums.

Login

Who's Online

186 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 186

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits