jensclas
Re: Action Item #4 - rolling the ball

I like it even more!

I have just been digging into mydownloads - we need a similar navigation table for that too...

daddystu
  • 2005/2/6 0:21

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

Great work guys.

jorge, I will look at the spreadsheet and update it with my ideas from before. I really do like your proposed new interface and so we can map the spreadsheet to it (order of elements ) to make it easier to work with.

jen how about comparing a couple of readmes (system and/or core modules would be best since that is the focus but any that are laden with the terminology would work) with a view to
- pulling out the terms that the readmes use and misuse
- listing the terms that could be used to make things clearer.
- any terms that really need defining but are not so generic, really belong only to this module....

This would then link up to the terminology matrix...

Ultimately, providing a recommended readme ?? being careful of course not to do any toe-treading.

Is that what you meant?? Let's check wavelengths again

jorgebarrero

Hello

This an idea that may help to start "hunting" terms

take a look and let me know what you think

http://www.virtualpeople.com.ve/xoops/Example/XoopsTerminology.doc

jensclas

Sorry Jorge...

1. I think the Blue terms need to be included - Newbies find it hard enough with the new language without taking them somewhere else for a definition.

2. Many of those blue terms are standard terms we would expect to see used without variation. For example - 'remove' could be exchanged with 'delete' in point #15. The official docs use remove - our task is to consider if this should be standard terminology. (Personally I think it should - remove implies take it out but don't throw it away - you might need it one day! )

My 2 cents worth

jensclas

Quote:
jen how about comparing a couple of readmes (system and/or core modules would be best since that is the focus but any that are laden with the terminology would work) with a view to
- pulling out the terms that the readmes use and misuse
- listing the terms that could be used to make things clearer.
- any terms that really need defining but are not so generic, really belong only to this module....

This would then link up to the terminology matrix...

Ultimately, providing a recommended readme ?? being careful of course not to do any toe-treading.

Is that what you meant?? Let's check wavelengths again

Yes - there is a heap of variety here. However I vaguely remember seeing somewhere in QC that a standardised expectation of a readme file is being generated as one of the benchmarks for QC - I would like to consider the terminology I see, define the ones that are used - identify variations - then maybe recomend terms. Does this make sense?

jorgebarrero

Jen
Under those considerations you are totaly right.

The remove & delete example is an excelent ilustration to your point.

Look at the "install" a module procedure:

You upload the folder of the module you want to install into the modules folder.
(How is this action called?)

You select the module and install it using the
System:Modules:(sencond half of the pannel)
(to fancy may be to describe this way.... all because no title there)

Then you can deactivate (with a very extrange procedure because you click on a check mark), or you re-install with a symbol on the rigth, or you uninstall with a new icon that appears only after it has been deactivated)

This is a "core" procedure to any XOOPS user
ant i find it very hard to describe (even to understand).

So Jen you are righ

What do you think about the color strategy?

Jorge Barrero

jensclas

I like the colour idea - a lot of work though!
I am not so sure we need to make it that complex. Let me think on it some more.

Jenny

daddystu
  • 2005/2/11 1:11

• daddystu

• Just popping in

just a kwik sorry, had some things I need to deal with, hope to be back in tomorrow...sorry.

jorgebarrero

Wha about if we arange a chat session to discuss all this ideas and set up a "recommended" User Guidelines Interfase and a "look & and feel" document?

Jorge

daddystu
  • 2005/2/12 2:33

• daddystu

• Just popping in

Quote:

jorgebarrero wrote:
Wha about if we arange a chat session to discuss all this ideas and set up a "recommended" User Guidelines Interfase and a "look & and feel" document?

Jorge

I would be up for that (literally probably )

can you arrange that? I have a server we can use to setup a module. I use a mac at home and work. I am in Japan which timewise should be close to Jen but pretty different from Venezuela I would thinnk...

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits