tedsmith
Re: Admin login problem
  • 2004/9/29 8:21

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

OK - I have this problem big time! I say big time, because none of the tips above have worked so I'm really desperate! In my case the problem occured after upgrading to NewBB2, deciding I didn't want it, so I copied the newBB files back across and then restored the SQL database from a copy I made a few minutes before installing NewBB2. I was able to happily use the site for about 2 hours, including accessing the original forum and then I got the same problem as those above. It reports a successful login in, but then refers me back to the index.php page asking me to log in again.

We are an internal network so we have no firewall. Nevertheless, I tried the HTTP_REFERRER check by changing it to true. Still no joy.

Tried clearing the templates_c cache folder, the cookies folder and temp Internet files. No joy.

Checked the session.use_cokkies value in php.ini. That was already set to 1. So no joy there either.

Cookies are all enabled. We use IE, but I've tried it using FireFox and it still does not work. IIS6, Windows Server 2003 and MySQL. I've checked the MySQL database using winmysqladmin.exe and all looks to be OK - green lights and everything.

The debug mode was turned off so cannot see what the debug errors are.

Can anyone help me with this. There must be a logical explanation. It must be an XOOPS issue, because if it was php, IIS or MySQL surely it wouldn't display the index.php pgae or even go through the login process, let alone anything else.

Mirthandrir says in his last post about the mainfile.php 'not been included'. What does he mean by this and how do you change the 'exclusion' to inclusion?

Thanks

Ted

Mithrandir

If you get page content such as blocks and can browse the site as anonymous then
a) Your mySQL database is working properly
b) It is included properly
c) mainfile.php is included properly

NewBB2 is not the reason of this, it has nothing to do with the login procedures - especially if you are logging in from a different module's page.

I cannot help more than that. Since the site is working as anonymous my only suggestion is that cookies are being blocked, but you say that it is not the case here.

tedsmith
  • 2004/9/29 9:53

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Oh dear.

Cookies have definately been enabled - to the lowest level of 'Accept All Cookies'. I've even added our Intranet site as a trusted site.

We have Windows XP on the workstations, service pack 1.

Can anyone else provide any ideas?

tedsmith
  • 2004/9/29 10:47

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Have just looked at my IIS logs to see if I could get any clues. Does this section mean anything to anyone :

I'm thinking with special regard to the last one where it says '/user.php xoops_redirect=%2Fuser.php%3F'

2004-09-29 10:29:17 10.1.1.1 POST /user.php - 80 - 10.3.6.3 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.0;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322) 200 0 0
2004-09-29 10:29:18 10.1.1.1 GET /xoops.css - 80 - 10.3.6.3 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.0;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322) 200 0 64
2004-09-29 10:29:18 10.1.1.1 GET /themes/Zaja-System/style.css - 80 - 10.3.6.3 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.0;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322) 200 0 64
2004-09-29 10:29:18 10.1.1.1 GET /user.php xoops_redirect=%2Fuser.php%3F 80 - 10.3.6.3 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+Windows+NT+5.0;+.NET+CLR+1.1.4322) 200 0 0

Also, I looked in the file robots.txt (having never looked inside it) and noticed that it says the following :

User-agent: *
Disallow: /cgi-bin/
Disallow: /tmp/
Disallow: /cache/
Disallow: /class/
Disallow: /images/
Disallow: /include/
Disallow: /install/
Disallow: /kernel/
Disallow: /language/
Disallow: /templates_c/
Disallow: /themes/
Disallow: /uploads/

Is that significant at all?

Thanks

Ted

Dave_L
  • 2004/9/29 11:00

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Try Browser Check. Install it under your XOOPS directory, and verify that the tests pass.

sotospeak
  • 2004/9/29 11:03

• sotospeak

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/27

as you see in previous posts I have your same problem. Only one difference, I am with Apache web server.

I am trying to fix the problem but any suggestion at this point was unsuccessful.

Do you have any error.txt file in the main XOOPS dir after installation?

Try to set your cookies to "ask every time" and clear them: how many cookies are set when you try to login as administrator? And how many cookies are set when you login here on xoops.org? Also specify if Firefox or IE.

tedsmith
  • 2004/9/29 11:44

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Tried browser check (great little util). Got the following failures :

1) Cookies Cookies can be set and read. (via HTTP headers) FAIL

2) Referrer-HSQ The URL of the referring page can be read. (host name + script name + query string) FAIL

3) Javascript read cookie Cookies can be read using Javascript. FAIL

The others all passed. I don't understand though? All was working fine until yesterday afternoon. No one has changed any settings so why does it suddenly say things are failing? I have all cookies enabled in browser? I guess one of these three, if not all, are causing the problem?

Sotospeak - We use IE and Firefox but both have same problem. I have no error.txt file

sotospeak
  • 2004/9/29 12:47

• sotospeak

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/27

by the way, in my case I got all Pass.

tedsmith
  • 2004/9/29 14:36

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

Seeing as this is clearly a problem for a few people, has anyone ever written a workaround? Is there a way I can bypass the logon screen all together? Is there a back door into the system (guessing not to avoid hacking!)? Are there any other configuration settings to try?

I wish in my case it was a personnal site cause I could just start again, but in my case its a professional Intranet site for a team of 8. There been many many man hours put into creating it so I can't just 'give in' and start again. One way or the other I have to get this system logging users in again.

Fellow Xoopers - please don't give in - your useless colleague needs you!

wolvy
  • 2004/9/29 15:04

• wolvy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/23

[sotospeak]

Just my little tidbit and i'm quite new here

the 'redirection-after-login' happened to me too

maybe it is of help or maybe not but in my case it was a permission problem maybe you can see the real error in the apache-errorlog or the suexlog

as for the windows problem, i'd also say check the permissions on the directories (maybe the IUSR wants to go somewhere it cannot write or is not allowed to go there.

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits