ozboof
Re: A Final Question before I go to PhpNuke
  • 2004/4/25 12:58

• ozboof

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/10/28

sent you a pm with some good news XOOPS is there and waiting for you to install .

now if you have c-panel you should be able to setup a MySQL database with phpMyAdmin

or set it up via mangage Msql

Anonymous
  • 2004/4/25 13:03

• Anonymous

• Since:

Yeh I see it, but do you HAVE to make a MySQL database
for xoops? and does it HAVE to be done before u start the installation?
because i heard that XOOPS will ask to create a database in the installation?

this is a confusion:

am i meant to make a MySQL database just for general admin?and do i need another database for xoops? or are these
the same thing?
(i'm lost)

p.s. in the video on how to make a MySQL database and it wants me to upload a database file, what is this?
do you need one in xoops? and is it in the XOOPS download?

ozboof
  • 2004/4/25 13:17

• ozboof

• Friend of XOOPS

do you have c-panel for you site

if so go myphpadmin and create a data base eg : no1

then when you get to stage during install you will have to enter a

eg ;
database = yourusername_no1

password = yourpassword

( but this is only a guess on how your site may work )

JackJ
  • 2004/4/25 13:19

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

no, using your hosting control panel (cpanel), you can first create a database and call it a name.

See the video link on onsmart.net for "creating a MySQL database"

http://www.onsmart.net/tutorials/

During the install XOOPS does the rest and makes the tables to go in to your database, you just enter:

the database server name, normally called "localhost"
the name of the database you created using Cpanel,
your username, and password when it asks you too.

You can opt for XOOPS to create a new database during the install, but this does not always work, depends on how your host has set things up.

the videos though are for onsmart.net's control panel, your's might be similar.

DonXoop

Quote:
max wrote:
p.s. you can shut up you little crybaby who sucjs his brothers coc.

YOU TOLD ME TO FSCK OFF! so there YOU go!

¿como? I'm not going to reply to your other thread or you PMs. Here you are with yet another post about the very basics and you still refuse to get a clue.

Give it up max. Come back after highschool if you can make it that far. You won't get any better help than you've already gotten and certainly not now.

piss off

m0nty
  • 2004/4/25 16:05

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

well b4 i decided on using xoops.. i knew nothing about MySQL other than it was a database program.. i knew absolutely nothing about php, i knew nothing about css i knew html tho..

and sure i knew what ftp was but had never used it b4..

what i did was searched for an ftp program, downloaded it and read the instructions.. simple enough.. so there i found FTP with some ftp programs is like an extension of using windows explorer click & drag..

chmod well i just typed chmod into google and that gave me a wealth of knowledge..

same with mysql.. the host cpanel was excellent for this.. it says create database (so i created 1 and named it)..

installing xoops.. well i had a look thru the installation guide which explained clearly.. so i uploaded all the unzipped files via ftp to my server..

pointed my browser to the install script.. and voila i have lift off..

i had no problems with the installation, the problems came later with a few whitepages which were solved by asking the relevant questions here on this site (without asking the same question in every single forum)

of course the wiki home site helped me a lot with what the CSS code is for, all the table classes etc..

it really is quite simple if you read the help files that come with each package..

remember i knew nothing other than how to make a page in html.. i've gone from that to xoops..

i've modified a few modules in php to suit my needs, i modified catzwolfs spotlight module to work with both xfsections and wfsections.. (not an easy task for some1 who doesn't know php)

i then modified XFSection to allow users to only be able to submit to 1 category.. with the help of some gr8 members of the XOOPS team and this community..

ok i had to wait a couple days for an answer.. i'd luv to get fast replies to answers, but patience is a virtue.. sometimes the user who can help you may not be online for a couple days or even a week..

but you really should consider exactly what questions you ask and where you're asking them..

it's no good saying i get a whitepage when i goto my site cos that will not help..

give as much detail as you can as to what you were doing b4 the whitepage, what modules you installed (if any) did u change any files, turn debug on.. i had a problem with whitepages that couldn't be solved by debug simply cos my host uses it's own error pages which cleared the page.. so i searched round using the search function for similar errors.. ie blank page when editing users or blank page when modifying groups.. here i found the solution to the problem.

some1 pointed me to the right post which helped..

this really is a great community, if some1 doesn't know the answer to your question, they can sometimes and usually post you a link to a thread that does give you the answers..

phpnuke put me off initially simply for the fact it meant more editing of files just to get it installed, that and the fact XOOPS has a good security record..

ozboof
  • 2004/4/25 16:36

• ozboof

• Friend of XOOPS

Gee mOnty i got writers craps just reading that post of yours

Ok Max your site is now live what you do from now on is up to you .

Now i better go and see if my half of the bed is avalible

JackJ
  • 2004/4/25 16:46

• JackJ

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/8/31

ozboof

you spoiled it, you did it for him? takes the meaning out of over 100 helping posts?

We were all going to congratulate him, make an event of it?

damn..

bmmolloy
  • 2004/4/25 16:50

• bmmolloy

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/4/21

I'd have let him go to the other CMS.

ozboof
  • 2004/4/25 16:54

• ozboof

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

JackJ wrote:
ozboof

you spoiled it, you did it for him? takes the meaning out of over 100 helping posts?

We were all going to congratulate him, make an event of it?

damn..

Sorry JackJ

Well you can congratulate him , he just had a mix up with usernames / passwords in the data base

And would say thier will be a couple more help posts to come

Login

Who's Online

206 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 206

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits