DonXoop
Re: We give up

crap. that server can handle a lot more than 4 sites.

Why don't you share the site URL so we can have a look.

Run a phpinfo() on your site and find out what is under the covers.

One hint: turn off pconnect. do it now. be happy(r)

m0nty
  • 2004/4/15 2:32

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

i agree with Donxoop here..

a server like that shud be able to cope with far more than 10 sites..

200gb a month data transfer is enuff for the vast majority but what's their bandwidth?

u have lots of users online at 1 time, maybe they just can't handle the bandwidth and are giving u a bad excuse.

i've run a test site on my home computer which only has 256mb memory and a single 1ghz cpu with a 56k modem connection.. (ok the amount of bandwidth is far less) which means the max connections was far less but at an extreme i got 15 of my friends to connect at same time and it coped.. very slowly but it coped and didn't crash.. and resources were only pushed to like 68% and u have to bear in mind i had other programs running aswell such as software firewall, virus software, messenger, MySQL & iis etc..

ylw633
  • 2004/4/15 2:41

• ylw633

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/19

too bad we are already suspended and they are unwilling to unblock, finding another host is our only option....

my post this afternoon was really out of frustration, we really want to stay with xoops, i've used postnuke but didn't really like that because its internationalization support is not as good as xoops. heck, i even digged into zope and plone! continue to use XOOPS will be our preference.

i really wonder, why would XOOPS take that much of resouce (crashing apache as MySQL as my hosting company say)? what is the optimal setting for performance? is caching really helps during peak hit hours? would pconnect helps performance on dedicate server? please advise.

DonXoop

well it's too late to fix it now. We never did get a look at it. There is more to the story I'll bet.

Dedicated server is the way to go if you can. But it requires good technical knowhow beyond the site itself.

PHP and MySQL on the same box? pconnect makes no sense, turn it off. On different boxes? Most scalable and pconnect *might* help. But turn it off until you scale up and can measure the difference.

Caching does help when done right. There are gotchas and tradeoffs. I suggest using a PHP accelerator/pre-compiler and selected caching.

I don't think XOOPS is a big resource pig compared to any other CMS doing similar duty. But it is doing a lot. Server and site tuning goes a long way.

I haven't seen Apache or MySQl crash for years now. My sites are usually pretty small but enough of them adds up. Still no crashy. I did have one large one, not Xoops, but heavy PHP/MySQL. It had a 9 gig live MySQL db that was very busy plus large scheduled query jobs. It had a local userbase for data entry (web) + a remote call centre (web) + public anonymous access (web) + local and remote db admin (web & native client). Steady heavy usage 24/7. no crashy.

kaliman
  • 2004/4/16 14:44

• kaliman

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/17

Hi
Lunar pages is good, but they host a LOT of domains on each server. You are not the only one kicked out (try webhostingtalk.com to learn more about it).

I sugest you to buy a managed dedicated server at www.1and1.com, they are only 49/59 usd a month with 500 gb transfer. They are very reliable.

Good luck.

amok200
  • 2004/4/23 15:15

• amok200

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/23

With Lunarpages, you are limited to 50 concurrent SQL connections, so peristant connections are definately a bad idea.

carnuke
  • 2004/4/23 16:36

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

I use these peoplehttp://surpasshosting.com/ how does 50Gb bandwidth and 3gb sapce sound for $6/month? Yes, too good to be true, I tried them and they are excellent with great forum, backup and documentation. Their servers are rock steady.

No this is not an advert,but praise where praise is due.

Richard

phppp
  • 2004/4/23 17:08

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

carnuke, how long have you been used their service?

I would try

ylw633
OK, here is the update
  • 2004/5/4 8:13

• ylw633

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/19

finally we settled with surpasshosting.com and get their dedicated hosting plan ($99 a month, 2000GB transfer, 80G HD, Celeron 1.7GHz, 512MB mem, RedHat 9 + cpanel + WHM).

at first we thought all our problems would go away with a dedicate server and we even thought about renting out the bandwidth to others, however....

later we found out this dedicate server can't even handle our site at peak time (100 ~ 160 users from "Who's Online" module). apache keeps crashing, and the site keeps coming up and down.

i really find it amazing XOOPS can't handle our traffic with this kind of resource since our XOOPS is a very typical one and don't use a lot of modules (only FreeContent). No pconnect is used, and so far no cache is enabled.

I think XOOPS really need A LOT OF work on optimization, having 100 queries when opening up a page (news module with 10 articles per page) is really ridiculous, compare to Invision Powered Board which it only took 9.

maybe our site is the largest site that uses XOOPS? how come no one else seemed to have this kind of problem?

WarDick
Re: OK, here is the update
  • 2004/5/4 8:25

• WarDick

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/9/13

This is a serious problem. You may be correct that you have the most users. What is your content? Does it contain a lot of graphics. What about your theme is it an old style depending on tables and graphics. Or is it XHTML complaint with more CSS? I agree the number of database queries is unbelievable.

This is still a hobby grade machine it may require an industrial server.

Are you listening devs.

Could you post a link?

Login

Who's Online

269 user(s) are online (181 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 269

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits