DonXoop
Re: Newbb Hack - updating for 2.0.7?

An old post and long so if you are talking about seeing private forums when you shouldn't (this hack has always worked great for me) then yes, cache will cause problems.

In general you don't want to cache anything that should look different between user groups. This would include Forums with this hack since the view will may show private forum listings for the wrong people or not show private forums for those that should. Depends on who made the current cache entry and as such is random.

However, the rights are still active. Clicking a private forum you shouldn't see will not let you in.

FYI, this hack is still working great on 2.0.7.3

file2mail
  • 2004/9/12 8:33

• file2mail

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/23

bump
hmm... could caching have anything to do with this problem? like maybe caching of certain modules? or blocks?

file2mail
  • 2004/8/26 17:56

• file2mail

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/23

Hi, im having this same exact problem...
im running 2.0.7.1 now... and everything works as it should for the admin group,
but for a user of the regular registered user group (whom has been assigned access rights) cannot see or access the private forum ...

any clues?

ps. hmm when i added the MySQL data... i just added the table structure for the forum_group_access table... should i have added the structure of the entire mysql.sql file???

Vizon
  • 2004/8/19 8:33

• Vizon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/18

Okay, here's the two instances I've tested.

1) this is with the option of hiding the forums that the user doesn't have access to. The "Elite" user, even though given access to the private forums, cannot see the forums in the forum listing.

2) this is with no hiding option on. The "Elite" user is able to see all the forums (like they should), but upon clicking on one, it says that they don't have the correct access for it.

I've checked with phpMyAdmin, and by looking at the xoops_bb_forum_group_access table, it appears that everything is right and that the "Elite" users should have that access... it's just odd.

regen_r8
  • 2004/8/19 3:51

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

Is it that they cannot see the forum listed in the forums index, or is it that they cannot see the posts in a block, do they get an access denied message when trying to view the forum list or a specific post?

If you post the URL of your site, I will log in and take a look.

Vizon
  • 2004/8/18 19:16

• Vizon

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/18

Hey regen_r8, I've installed the hack on 2.0.7, and I don't have any problems with it except for one thing. I have created another group called "Elite" and I have given them access to some private forums that I have created (with post access as well). I started out by hiding the private forums, and this group that I have given access to them cannot see it, whereas my Webmasters (whom also have access) can see them no problem.

I then tried to make the forums visible to all, and upon trying to click on it with the "Elite" user, I got a message saying that they do not have access to that forum. Do you know what could be wrong here?

regen_r8
  • 2004/7/26 20:32

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

In the block admin function you can turn this display of private forum topics on or off for each block.

Simply click the edit link on the block and change the appropriate options.

See below:

Options
Display posts
Display in full size Yes No
Show Private Forum Posts in Block Yes No
Display Extended post information Yes No

asche
  • 2004/7/26 13:57

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 9

I am sure I have done the update.

Is it possible to display "Most Viewed Topics" containing also postings in private topics (right now I can only see topics of public forums).

In the end it is like asking for a permission on the single post, so the usergroups of the public forums can not see the threads from private forums, but the usergroups with private forums can see their own private postings.

If there is no easy solution with permission on single post, maybe it is possible to have two different blocks "Most Viewed Topics", one showing public posts, one showing private posts.

Are there any solutions around or maybe good ideas for solutions?

- thinking groupwise? -

regen_r8
  • 2004/7/24 0:39

• regen_r8

• Not too shy to talk

-- I believe that this would normally be accomplished when the module was "updated" through the module admin panel.

asche
  • 2004/7/23 22:31

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 9

Problem with permission on "Most viewed topics" is solved by adding new records for all groups and blocks in table group_permission.

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits