andycleff
Re: XOOPS Newsletter Mailer
  • 2006/10/2 17:29

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/4/29

Quote:
though an ability to override user preferences might come in useful in getting rid of inactive members.

I was thinking override email vs pm prefs or (gasp) overriding "don't send me anything, ever"

I can't see getting rid of inactive members as a priority for SmartMail though. The purpose is to communicate current info with current members.

Not sure why you'd use it the contact the deadwood. xMail might be easier for that or built in XOOPS mail.
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----
Helping our clients bring great ideas into shape through integrated marketing, creative branding, print and web strategy, online learning and e-commerce.

www.ampersandesign.net

Swain
  • 2006/10/3 0:59

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/6/27

Quote:

andycleff wrote:
Quote:
though an ability to override user preferences might come in useful in getting rid of inactive members.

I was thinking override email vs pm prefs or (gasp) overriding "don't send me anything, ever"

I can't see getting rid of inactive members as a priority for SmartMail though. The purpose is to communicate current info with current members.

Not sure why you'd use it the contact the deadwood. xMail might be easier for that or built in XOOPS mail.

Just a thought.

barryc
  • 2006/10/3 1:20

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

I have been assuming that we'll be able to send mail to selected groups, too. That is, to subsets of registered users. Am I right?

Also, what is the priority for adding the ability to send attachments? Not too low, I hope.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Swain
  • 2006/10/6 19:18

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

Well, I have been playing around with Smartmail quite a bit. Learned I could do pre-formatted newsletters via one custom block, and so forth. It would appear now all I need is the ability to email all registered users that opted to recieve mail. Great job though.

barryc
  • 2006/10/7 16:52

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

I got a notice from the XOOPS site that there was a new post as follows:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=
238567&topic_id=47617&forum=30#forumpost238567

Note I inserted a line break at id= to avoid problems with wrapping.

When I try to access this link, I get a notice that I am not allowed to access that forum or that link. It seems to be pointing to this forum. Can anyone shed light on this problem?

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

Swain
  • 2006/10/11 22:31

• Swain

• Not too shy to talk

The adress seems to be different than that of this thread. I have:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=47617&forum=30&post_id=238565#forumpost238565

andycleff
  • 2006/10/12 12:23

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

Don't know about that odd post. I did reply earlier to Barry's message:
Quote:
I have been assuming that we'll be able to send mail to selected groups, too. That is, to subsets of registered users. Am I right?

Also, what is the priority for adding the ability to send attachments? Not too low, I hope.

But it seems that message got lost. Either that or I dreamt that I replied. I've been working hard, but not that hard.

Anyway, SmartMail does not currently have the ability to send mail to a user group. However, it will have the ability to import a batch of users. So I guess you could tackle things that way.

Not sure how you would handle the opt-in / SPAM issue with the ability to email to a group. When someone joined a group, you'd have to let them know they were joining your mailing list and give them a means to decline. Maybe there would be someway to include the SmartMail Newsletter block (with its subscription functions) into the registration page? Don't know. How would you not SPAM the already registered users in the group?

A "send attachement function" kind of already exists - with the SmartMail custom block. However the "attachment" would be a link back to a file that lived on your site.

A direct attachment feature will have to be on a future version wish list.
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----
Helping our clients bring great ideas into shape through integrated marketing, creative branding, print and web strategy, online learning and e-commerce.

www.ampersandesign.net

Bender
  • 2006/10/13 20:56

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

andycleff wrote:
Not sure how you would handle the opt-in / SPAM issue with the ability to email to a group. When someone joined a group, you'd have to let them know they were joining your mailing list and give them a means to decline.

There are instances were no optin is required or could be part of the usuage terms for a site.

Example: in company intranets, closed usergroup sites and such no opt in might be required.

just a thought though ...
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

barryc
  • 2006/10/16 19:53

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

andycleff wrote:
Don't know about that odd post. I did reply earlier to Barry's message:
Quote:

But it seems that message got lost. Either that or I dreamt that I replied. I've been working hard, but not that hard.

Anyway, SmartMail does not currently have the ability to send mail to a user group. However, it will have the ability to import a batch of users. So I guess you could tackle things that way.

Not sure how you would handle the opt-in / SPAM issue with the ability to email to a group. When someone joined a group, you'd have to let them know they were joining your mailing list and give them a means to decline. Maybe there would be someway to include the SmartMail Newsletter block (with its subscription functions) into the registration page? Don't know. How would you not SPAM the already registered users in the group?

A "send attachement function" kind of already exists - with the SmartMail custom block. However the "attachment" would be a link back to a file that lived on your site.

A direct attachment feature will have to be on a future version wish list.

Hmm. For me this is disappointing news on both fronts. As I've mentioned before, our objective is to be able to send our monthly newsletter to those members of the organization who opt to get it electronically. The remainder will continue to get the paper copy by regular mail. I had planned to create a group for each of those. Thus, we could export the addresses for those getting the mailed version adn one to send the e-version. I guess the latter can be handled by imported those members into SmartMail.

I had also hoped to be able to create a "cover letter" to send out via SmartMail with the newsletter attached as a PDF file. We can do the link-back option, but people being what people are, they will much prefer receiving the attachment. They will complain that "it is too much trouble" to have to log on to the site to get the newsletter.

Barry
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, Oregon

andycleff
  • 2006/10/16 20:25

• andycleff

• Not too shy to talk

Sorry about that.

But they folks behind SmartFactory are pretty clever.

Maybe they can easily solve your two feature requests in version 2...
Andy Cleff
Ampersand Design, Inc
Doylestown, PA
-----

www.ampersandesign.net

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits