irmtfan
Re: userinfo.php blank page for some users in xoops 2.5.4 and profile module
  • 2012/4/14 7:24

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Thank you DCrussader and mamba,
i dodnt try with chrome 20 beta before!!!
Quote:

a) run a batch test for all files and get a reports what LF standard each file is using
b) run a batch to set the LF for all files to a specific standard?

I can run individual tests in Notepad++, but it would take too much time...

i tried emeditor and it seems it can run a command line for all files to replace LF with CR+LF:
http://www.emeditor.com/help/howto/file/file_commandline.htm
see this: /scrlf saves the file using CR+LF as return method after the encoding conversion.

but i dont know if we want to change the LF Unix to CR+LF windows.
is this what we want to solve this annoying issue?

DCrussader

All lines should end with CRLF (my opinion), LF causes trouble, already reported bug with language files written by GiJoe 10 years ago. MyAlbum, Protector, Avanam, d3forum... all of those modules, language files are not read properly.

And those LF only caused a bug for over 5 versions in another xoops fork, the admin / preferences page was blank... thanks to LF only.
May The Source Be With You!

Mamba
  • 2012/4/14 16:56

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
And those LF only caused a bug for over 5 versions in another xoops fork, the admin / preferences page was blank... thanks to LF only.

Are you sure that you're talking about LF? Mac was using only CR in Mac OS up to version 9 and OS-9. Now it is using LF as every other Unix.

BTW - GIJoe was using LF himself
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

DCrussader

What I'm seeing is:

LF causes this blank page in banned cms up to 1.3.1 RC, that was reported by Marc Andre after he got an access to affected server and installation (I'm waiting for my HSP admins to reply)
same bug causes mess in old GiJoe's modules, such as MyAlbum. All those modules (language files) have to be converted and re-uploaded.

Mamba
  • 2012/4/14 19:09

• Mamba

DCrussader, LF was not the problem.

These are the codes:

Windows: CR LF
Unix: LF
Mac: CR (up to version 9 and OS-9), after that: LF

This is the text that you have quoted from ICMS:
Quote:
Mac-style line delimiters in several files for the codemirror editor plugin. After converting all the line delimiters in those files to Unix-style delimiters and uploading the files to the server again, the General Settings page rendered properly.

From the red-highligthed text it's clear that they converted from Mac-style (CR) to Unix-style, (which is LF), and it fixed that issue for them.

Reg. GIJoe, he states on two occasions that he was using LF:

Message 1:
Quote:
my Xoops Language Checker adds lines separated by LF.

Message 2:
Quote:
modified some files from CR+LF into LF
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Peekay
  • 2012/4/15 1:58

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Give me a module written using Mac OS 8.5 in BBEdit, I'll upload it using text mode for the PHP files and it will work perfectly on either my UBUNTU or Fedora Core server - because FTP does the conversion of line feeds.

If this (whatever it is) doesn't work, it's nothing to do with LF, unless the files are being uploaded in Binary mode.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

DCrussader

Probably Marc Andre is wrong about LF/CR, but LF files are waste of time on Transifex. This is false excuse
Quote:

2005-11-13 0.41 modified the compatibility with PHP 5.0.5
modified some files from CR+LF into LF

XOOPS 2.5.5 RC in most of it's files including and language is CRLF read and they're imported without a problems. And there wasn't problem trough the years from 2.3.0 to 2.5.5 installations and operations (php 4 to php 5.3), only profile gives blank pages from 2.3.0. Only GiJoe modules which are with LF only and spaces everywhere.

and reply to GiJoe first message is clear enough...
ozp11 quote
Quote:

ok. I've found a way to solve the problem

It's a problem to be LF only. About Ubuntu, who HSP which respect his clients money will use windows clone for Hosting Environment ? Site-Ground ? LunarPages ?

Desktop oriented distribution are even worst then XAMPP...., if was so good XOOPS will be proudly hosted on Ubuntu.... yack.

Cent OS, RHEL, BSD, Gentoo, Sabayon, that's used on Hosting providers, currently building Vbox images with friend of mine (my hsp) with stable gentoo, stable cent os 5, stable rhel will be last.

Peekay
  • 2012/4/15 11:57

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

You mention language files, so I guess someone may have written a lang file using an editor like Textpad or Notepad2 which by default saves UTF-8 with a Byte Order Mark (BOM). I believe even Windows Notepad does this now.

Browsers don't mind BOM with plain HTML, but I believe it can cause header errors with PHP. You need to disable 'save with BOM' if writing PHP.

There are a few PHP scripts you can run to detect and get rid of it.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

irmtfan
  • 2012/4/15 12:17

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

@ PEEKAY
it is not the BOM issue and im sure about it.

@ Mamba
I check icms and DCrussader is right. they changed all line feeds from LF only (Unix) to CR+LF (windows) but i check the last version of Joomla and they use LF method.

IMO this issue is not related to LF and CR+LF. it is something else.

Mamba
  • 2012/4/15 12:47

• Mamba

Quote:
I check icms and DCrussader is right. they changed all line feeds from LF only (Unix) to CR+LF (windows)

Maybe they've switched later from LF to CR+LF, but the issue that DCrussader was quoting was about changing from Mac's CR to Unix's LF, and after they've changed it to LF, the problem was gone.

Quote:
but i check the last version of Joomla and they use LF method.

Nowadays everybody is using LF - that's the standard. For example, see Drupal and Typo3.

Quote:
IMO this issue is not related to LF and CR+LF. it is something else.

I couldn't reproduce it. Maybe DCrussader will be able to email me the VBox file where he was able to reproduce it.

BTW - if you like living on the edge , try to update to XOOPS 2.5.5 from the SVN and see if it makes any difference. We might be releasing it tonight, so I don't think that it's a too high risk. We've been running it for months now here on www.xoops.org without any problems.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Login

Who's Online

152 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 1

Guests: 151

aerograf,

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!