trabis
Re: Xoops VS Joomla
  • 2009/8/7 12:24

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

I like very much the XOOPS friendly use. I never managed to make a joomla site. But...

joomla 1.5 offers better solutions at a framework level. XOOPS has very low learning curve for developers but offers poor resources. Expert developers, those who are used to frameworks such has Zend, Code ingiter, Cake, Yii, etc, will have no second thoughts in using joomla over xoops. Xoops, although it claims to be OO, it has very little of OO in it.

I have started to learn joomla yesterday, I was impressed with it in a positive way. But I do not find perfection there, eheh. Joomla is also suffering from backward compatibilities, like php4 and Mambo. I also like better XOOPS object handlers and Criteria class over their Table class or anyother ORM system.

Joomla, Jaws, Zend, Yii, Magento, XOOPS Cube have/are frameworks that we should(I would) look into.

btesec
  • 2009/8/7 21:43

• btesec

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/2/20

from my experience, I needed to develop a site, setup a site using mamabo, mambo had its troubles and the prject was sort of abandoned a few years back, seems its picked up. I also tested joomla, drupal, and other, I spent a couple of weeks testing until i established that XOOPS was more flexible, easy to manage (probably I already had the basics from using mambo), the way content, users, groups, is manipulated in XOOPS is great. this was about three years ago. But as Trabis said it has its downsides, of which I am not a programmer so no comments on that.

one of the other problems XOOPS suffers, is maintenance of its modules, probably because everyone has there own development area. I see there a lots more modules developed than those presented at xoops.org, the Asian, german, spanish XOOPS community has developed several useful modules, we can't use them because of the language barrier, even if using google translator. There needs be effort in translating these to eglish, these things would make XOOPS much stronger in terms of its user base.

On a final comment XOOPS is well advanced from my point of view, I have been looking a CMS based on ASP and Java and are bahind in terms of how to get things done by a administrator, however they may have better techniques/methods as trabis said.

To be honest we may or may not agree that this is the situation faced when using open source software, there is hardly anyone responsible/committed for driving the advancement of the project and that is why the commercial products are more successful because they have a champion(s). Please these are just my taughts and hope it helps a bit positively. Anyway I still love and use Xoops, its great for almost anytype of project.

By the way I work for government , and we are rolling out our intranet portal based on XOOPS in a few days. Has take about five to six months to complete, but it has: calendar, chating, document managment, tasks management, records management based on formulize, forum, news along with the default stuff. So this is a testament that XOOPS can get the job done.

So, KUDOS to the XOOPS communities around the world.
Have a great weekend guys.

onasre
  • 2009/8/21 8:31

• onasre

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/8/12

Xoops Rocks!! but lack Of Modules , Hardly u see New Module been Devloped .. Most of the Modules we Have Made between year of 2004 and 2006 ..

Login

Who's Online

339 user(s) are online (205 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 339

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits