barryc
Re: Webinstall and reCaptcha
  • 2009/11/16 7:39

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/3/20

Quote:

ghia wrote:
Mine was tested on 2.4.0 (2.4.1 should go also)
AFAIK for 2.3.3 the same modifications should go in /Frameworks/captcha/ but not tested nor verified.

I tried to implement ghia's hacks on my 2.3.3 test site but could not. The files in Frameworks/captcha are different from what he describes. config.php is different (although there are some equivalent lines) and xoopscaptcha does not exist. There is a file captcha.php.

I tried making changes to config.php and captcha.php as near as I could to ghia's instructions but it did not work.

In my XOOPS 2.3.3 installations there are files in class/captcha corresponding to ghia's instructions but I gather that in 2.3.3 the captcha uses the files in Frameworks. I actually tried modifying both sets with no luck. In both cases the usual XOOPS captcha image came up on clicking on the register link.

One other point I'm not clear on: In recaptcha.php in the line:

$publickey $this->config["public_key"]; // you got this from the signup page see config.captcha.php

should public_key be replaced with the public key one downloads or is it read from the config files?

I guess I'll have to wait until I upgrade to 2.4.1 to implement this but I am concerned about the reported problems with the Content module (version 1.3), which works well on 2.3.3 but apparently is broken under 2.4.1. Until that is fixed I can't upgrade as I use the Content module extensively on my site.

barryC

ghia
  • 2009/11/16 11:47

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

The public and private keys are read from the two adapted cofig files.

Did a test for a 2.3.3 and for registration the modifications are to be done in /class/captcha/ as above stated.

However there was a relic in the 2.3.3 code.
You need to change:
$this->path_plugin XOOPS_ROOT_PATH "/Frameworks/captcha";

to
$this->path_plugin XOOPS_ROOT_PATH '/class/captcha';
in xoopscaptcha.php, because 2.3.3 Frameworks don't come with a /Frameworks/captcha directory.

barryc
  • 2009/11/16 17:12

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Thanks ghia, it worked this time.

My Frameworks directory did contain a subdir captcha. I know the version downloaded with 2.3.3 did not include this dir but I downloaded a later version at one time. As I recall, this was to test the module Lifetype. I decided not to use that module so I've reverted to the standard 2.3.3 Frameworks dir.

I do worry about older persons having difficulty reading the words and the phrases read out if one chooses the audible option on recaptcha are really tough. I expected to hear just two words read out.

What is the opinion of others on the hack to disallow registration attempts that do not include the appropriate referrer? It seems to me that a bot programmer would soon figure out they need to include it. I assume it wouldn't be too difficult for them to do?

barryC

Mamba
  • 2009/11/17 7:15

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Now we also have reCaptcha here on XOOPS Website

barryc
  • 2009/12/12 6:17

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

There were two inter-related threads regarding reCaptcha and spurious registrations, apparently by a robot. reCaptcha does not completely prevent these registrations.

See this thread

barryc

robstockley

reCaptcha is seriously cool. Thanks

bapi
  • 2009/12/14 1:02

• bapi

• Just popping in

• Since: 2009/12/14

Hello
"Could not open socket" when i try to register on our XOOPS site
I assume this command failed :
"
if( false == ( $fs = @fsockopen($host, $port, $errno, $errstr, 10) ) ) {
die ('Could not open socket');
"

but i don't know the reason.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
bapi

ghia
  • 2009/12/14 1:38

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

bapi, Welcome on the XOOPS Forum!

Try with changing
die ('Could not open socket');

with
die ('Could not open socket, ERROR: '.$errno.' - '.$errstr);

What does it say?

barryc
  • 2009/12/14 18:28

• barryc

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

barryc wrote:
reCaptcha does not completely prevent these registrations.

I'm embarrassed to say that this was mistaken. In re-examining the registration process on my site I realized, belatedly, that it had reverted to the standard XOOPS captcha. The config.php and xoopscaptcha.php files had been written over, presumably when I upgraded to the latest XOOPS version. At the time I did not think to test the registration process. So, my note of alarm can be ignored.

I think it would be good to remind people using recaptcha to update those files when upgrading, perhaps with a note in the readme. I would favor using recaptcha as the XOOPS standard but that won't solve the over-write problem, as the correct keys would have to be entered.

I would assume that those files would not be included in an upgrade package unless they were changed.

Anyway, sorry for the false alarm. I thought I should correct the record.

barryc

pinchecl
  • 2009/12/14 19:14

• pinchecl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2005/4/22

can anyone help me? I get this message:

To use reCAPTCHA you must get an API key fromhttp://recaptcha.net/api/getkey

But I have got a key and filled it in the appropriate places (private key in config and public key in config_recaptcha.php.
All Ghia's modifications are done. Still, I apparently must have missed something but I can't put my finger on it

Login

Who's Online

105 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 105

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits