sameeee
Re: New to Xoops
  • 2008/8/13 23:48

• sameeee

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/8/12

Thanks so much for all of you . you all are GREAT! wish my mall site had such Great support and helpful people as here,

will get started on what I have learned in the morning, thats when I work best ( 4:00am is my time,after 10:00 am my mind don't work lol )

Will let ya know how I'm doing,

Walk in Beauty
Sameeee^i^

sameeee
  • 2008/8/17 17:43

• sameeee

• Just popping in

Took me a couple of days to get the time to install everything, got it done and hope all works, I also installed a few more modules that will go good with what I want to do,
I do have a few more questions????
is there anyway to edit the home page? I see you can add blocks and do it that way but there is no WYSIWYG for editing Blocks, is there a module for this? and how do you add new pages?
Thanks for all your help
Walk in Beauty
Sameeee^i^

ghia
  • 2008/8/17 18:27

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

I assume you didn't install any modules?
Depending on the purpose of the site, you install the required modules. For article based contents there is for example the module news.
You may have a look in the module repository or with the module packs, which have a selection of modules for a certain purpose.
You can also look at some XOOPS sites and see which modules are used by looking to the name after modules in the URL.
So you see this forum is newbb, also a popular one.

sameeee
  • 2008/8/17 19:06

• sameeee

• Just popping in

I installed a few modules, I was wondering if there was a module to edit the home page and blocks with WYSIWYG.
the only editor is like the one here on the forums.
and how do I add new pages?
Thanks
Walk in Beauty
Sameeee^i^

ghia
  • 2008/8/17 19:27

• ghia

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Which modules do you have?

The editor can be changed in the preferences of the modules that support other editors. Koivi, FCK and tinyMCE are good WYSIWYG editors.

The layout, appearance and looks of your site is dependent on the theme, the ordering is done by module and block configuration. (try 1000 themes)

You can add pages or content by a module like news. The modules user or admin menu gives you functions for that.

stefan88
  • 2008/8/17 19:48

• stefan88

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

there is description around how to hack the core to use WYSIWYG editor for custom blocks.

Also there is an empty module you can use to have pages so you can asign blocks to them. In any case you will need the right module for the job.

damaster
  • 2008/8/17 20:34

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Search Gijoe Peak web site

Then download the following modules:
1. Altsys
2. Pico

From the same author's site download FCKEditor (wysiwyg editor)

These modules use XOOPS_TRUST_PATH
(you have to place core files outside public folder)

And add a line to your mainfile.php

Sounds complicated ?
- No worries, it is quite easy and satisfaction bigger.

Altsys+Pico+FCKEditor will allow you to manage all kind of content (from static html to rich multimedia)

Have Fun !

Note:
Gijoe is also releasing HD Distribution for XOOPS Cube Legacy
it is a complete solution with new D3 modules generation
and XOOPS_TRUST_PATH running out of the box.
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

sameeee
  • 2008/8/31 14:50

• sameeee

• Just popping in

well I am back at it, my work and stuuf has kept me form working on things, I have played with some modules to find out which ones I want for the main site, I have XOOPS installed to my main site. now on to the fun stuff, installing DB backup, xoopsinfo, and protector, they need work done in the core and I am not to sure how to do a few things,
I will start with DB backup
creating a folder in your /uploads folder for the backups.( I can do this )
The module authors recommend calling the new folder /backup and have set it as the default location in the module's preferences <<-- ( How do I set the default location? )

I think I have the xoopsinfo figured out and can install it ok. will let you know if I have any problems

I have tryed to install protector and made a mess of it so I am going to need a LOT of help and will be asking some really dumb questions,

again from starting a new XOOPS site,

Let's start with the /html folder, since that contains what all modules contain - a folder (/modules) that gets copied to the base folder of your site. ( what or where is the base folder? )

Inside the /modules folder of Protector is another folder(/protector) that you expect when you install a module in Xoops. <<-( do I install this in modules?? )

XOOPS_TRUST_PATH - create another folder parallel to (at the same level as) your root folder. <--( this I don't understand )

After you have created your trusted path folder, copy the contents of Protector's /xoops_root_path folder to your new folder.<<--( also this I don't understand I could not find xoops_root_path folder anywhere )

do I do all of this before editing the mainfile.php
then installing protector in admin??

I think I can do the editing in mainfile.php ok will let you know if I have any problems,

I am so excited about XOOPS it has everything I was looking for to make my site the way I wanted it to be for my visitors,
and Thanks so much for helping this Nuttty old lady with getting it set up,

Walk in Beauty
Sameeee^i^

Login

Who's Online

81 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 81

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits