BlueStocking
Re: The XOOPS Project in 2008 - module repository reform

@Trabis, I unzip and look at the version.php for information as to where to go to get the most recent version of the module, along with taking a look at their website to see if it is still active. For me this is an enjoyable venture since I learn about the module and the module builder.

Do you have any modules in this list that needs updating?

@Maxxy, Currently, we have these modules and people are using them. The hacking of the NEW addons, made it imperative to me that something had to be done to protect the content others have spent years building. Upgrading this repository is a major job, and any help you can offer along these lines will be greatly appreciated.

@Irmtfan,
At this point the module backup I prepared is for those who have a need to protect the modules they use that others may deem obsolete. I currently use programs that are way out of date but serve my purpose better than their replacement upgrades.

@Peekay, I open the zip file and read the version.php. From there I glean much useful information. This is real easy and quick to do from the modulelist.txt file list used as presented on the page. Needless to say this is a huge job, and needs to be automated if it is going to happen. (of course, module authors could each do their own, and it would not be a formidiable job for anyone then)

@Irmtfan, RE: "all Old modules without php5 compatibility."
I agree, they need to be kept separated from the newer php5 compatable modules. They should be kept in a module repository archive, which should take care of Peekays concern also.

@joninzar,
Let me introduce myself, In real life, they call me Darcy. Online I am BlueStocking, in honor of publisher Ben Stillingfleet who wore blue worsted stockings to a meeting where black stockings were expected as formal attire. He proved that the content of the lecture was more important than the attire he was dressed in to deliver it. I concerate on content and let others deliver the design. (sadly, design wise it shows)

I would recommend you download the full zip file I have prepared then you will not have to worry about the sudden disappearence of modules you may have had a need for. That was the purpose of this excercise. Protecting the modules for those who need them.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

irmtfan
  • 2008/1/8 19:50

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

Quote:

So XOOPS works with PHP 4 or 5, but users will only be able to download modules that work with PHP 5?.

No,
module that works with php4 and php5 will be kept.
modules that works only with php5 will be kept too.
but modules that work only with php4 (and doesnt support php5) will be deleted ASAP.

Quote:

So, if a version works only in php5, please, don't delete an old version of that module if works in php4... yet...

yes, indeed we should care about some new thoughts from developers to move to php5.
so i think we should support php4 until XOOPS Core support it.(until version 3)

BlueStocking,
yes, IMO we have same thoughts so keep up your work.

stefan88
  • 2008/1/8 20:06

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Quote:
modules that work only with php4 (and doesnt support php5) will be deleted ASAP.

why not keep them (in old or archive section) so if someone finds a module he likes and if he can, he may fix it ...

It's opensource way

irmtfan
  • 2008/1/8 20:16

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

Quote:

why not keep them (in old or archive section) so if someone finds a module he likes and if he can, he may fix it ...

what you talk about is just a rare exception.
if a module has not any newer version that works with php5 we dont have any alternative so we have to keep it.
but if a module have newer versions, keeping the old once in xoops.org repository just confused people.
of course no file will be deleted from sourceforge.net

maybe i should state:
we just talk about xoops.org repository not any other places.
the xoops.org should be clean from old modules.

Marco
  • 2008/1/8 22:26

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

on a QA point of view :
- we need to try to keep the repository as clean as possible, to simplify end user experience
- end user should feel easy to find the best/must have modules (popularity of the module is one way to find the must have).
- all non maintained modules (> 18 months for example) have to go to a cementery category, so that we signify that this module is waiting for someone to reactivate the dev of it
- all modules that are not compatible with latest release of XOOPS (now >=2.0.18) have to be declared as is : user comments are one way to detect those.
- as stated by others, we have to focus on PHP5 only as soon as core stop to garantee the php4 compatibility, which is soon. Php4 is already an abandonned branch (except for sec reasons), we have to prepare that event. for info php6 will be released before the end of the first trimester of 2008.
- of course we have to find the pragmatic approach. the rules should be set in accordance with reality : maintainers have to minimize their work, coz to maintain the repository is not an easy task at all. so keep it easy should be our tagline.

marco
Do synergy or die.

Peekay
  • 2008/1/8 22:40

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

stefan88 wrote:

It's opensource way

This is so true - and exactly the way many newer XOOPS modules have evolved, from someone updating and and improving older modules.

If all that is left are modules owned by large quasi-commercial developers, or those with restrictive licences (creative commons - non derivative) then this will severely inhibit open-source module development for XOOPS and damage it's reputation as one of the most flexible CMS solutions available.

Isolate and promote the modern well-supported PHP 5 modules by all means, but it is important (IMHO) to provide access to previous versions in the way that the XOOPS module dev forge did and Sourceforge still does.

Marco's module 'graveyard' would solve the problem. Add a 'use at your own risk' notice. Just stop deleting things.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

BlueStocking

Peekay,
I have a complete backup you and anyone else who want one may have. This is html backup of each page as it was on Jan. 4th 2008.

http://xoops-end-user.com/xoops-module_repository/MR-A_Z.txt

http://xoops-end-user.com/xoops-module_repository/

EXAMPLE:http://xoops-end-user.com/xoops-module_repository/XOOPS_Project_Module_RepositoryA1.htm

Since the links here are cumberson, I created the zip backups directory for futher ease of use.

This is still a work in progress. Maybe someone will create a cd of the archived and make it freely available.

BlueStocking

BTW: "Powered by YOU" means it is up to "YOU" to do it or it won't get done.

XOOPS has plenty of I's, Me's, and We's, but what is really needed now is a lot more "YOU"'s

EDIT: Addedhttp://xoops-end-user.com/xoopsA-Zpgs.zip 1.87 MB WinZip File 1/8/2008 7:10 PM
Again, for your convience and module peace of mind.

BlueStocking

Marco,

I have put a link on the Module Repository page for ease of use.

http://xoops-end-user.com/xoops-module_repository/zip/modulelist.txt

On this simple text file via a view source you and others can note at the side of the files you know about instructions to me as to how they could or should be handled.

As JLM69 POST says ... Lets make it happen!

I see you have started a section in the Module_Development_Guide - Looks like a good place wiki wise to expand on the module repository reform efforts.

What do you think?

BS

irmtfan
  • 2008/1/9 6:09

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

Quote:

Isolate and promote the modern well-supported PHP 5 modules by all means, but it is important (IMHO) to provide access to previous versions in the way that the XOOPS module dev forge did and Sourceforge still does.

lets clear it.
we just want to clean this xoops.org site repository for many common users that just want to find a version by One search and click.

all previous problematic versions should not be here. it is already in sourceforge.

even i go further and agree with Marco that we should have a QA team that just accept well-designed and well-tested modules here.
users dont need to find a qualified modules by them selves.

so OLD modules will be available somewhere while we dont have a messy and complicate repository here. then everyone will be happy.

Peekay
  • 2008/1/9 14:53

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Quote:

irmtfan wrote:
even i go further and agree with Marco that we should have a QA team that just accept well-designed and well-tested modules here.

I agree 100% with that. Having new (or updated) modules assessed by experienced XOOPS programmers *before* the modules are posted in the repository would be valuable for developers and should minimise user disappointment with Xoops.

Quote:
so OLD modules will be available somewhere while we dont have a messy and complicate repository here. then everyone will be happy.

Makes me happy! I believe there is a plan for a 'module orphanage'.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

166 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 166

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits