Peekay
Re: dev.xoops.org seems to be down
  • 2007/7/9 12:11

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

@bluestocking
The module dev forge is just an installation of Xoops. It runs 'xfmod' (an excellent developer resource) plus a wiki and news. This could be - and may well be - hosted on another server with it's own database. A seperate login is required and AFAIK there is no interconnection to xoops.org.

I appreciate your concern about database efficiency, but the only strength of xoops.org is it's vast knowledgebase. Arbitrary, or automated deletion of data is unthinkable. It's like burning books. I refuse to believe a load balanced server arrangement cannot handle this.

The plan to archive this forum and make it searchable with Google would enable a fresh start and a new look without any loss of data.

@davidl2
I get your point, but this is on topic (IMHO) under the issue of 'losing valuable resources'.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

davidl2
  • 2007/7/9 13:09

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

dev.x could perhaps be moved onto the new servers - depending on how it works under php5

BlueStocking

by Peekay on 2007/7/9 7:11:24

Quote:

but the only strength of xoops.org is it's vast knowledge base. Arbitrary, or automated deletion of data is unthinkable. It's like burning books.

Where might we archive this to, again I ask for suggestions and input.

Those who are responsible for the servers in this new administration will have to allow us space and possibly do the archiving.

Peekay
  • 2007/7/9 15:04

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
dev.x could perhaps be moved onto the new servers - depending on how it works under php5

I tried installing xfmod on XOOPS 2.0.13.2 (PHP4 + MySQL 3.23.58). It installed, but it didn't run properly, even with register_globals 'on'. I suspect it needs an older version of Xoops. I cannot tell what version of XOOPS the forge uses.

Personally, I think xfmod is better than the 'downloads' module used by the current repository, because like SourceForge, users can download prior versions of each module. So if a new release is PHP 5 only, people can still get the PHP 4 version. Difficult to do that in a downloads module without duplicating content.

@bluestocking
I guess you would need to talk to the team that has the keys to the server. But I don't really know what the plans are now. I gather that redirecting everyone to xoopsinfo.com is no longer happening, so I'm just waiting for the next official announcement.

BlueStocking

Hi David,

Server related moves are not a part of CC's job description. We are to Coordinate alot, moderate a little, and generally help XOOPS users find their way around.

We also hold a responsibility to the daily maintenance of dev.xoops.org from a user point of contact. To see that it is used in a correct matter.

@Davidl2, Has a community leader emerged?

It is my understanding from throughly reading of the forums here with special emphasis on the postings of phppp and the council, the community which is separate, though equal, from the project (in objectives) are free to organize as they see fit.

@PK
http://xoopsinfo.com andhttp://xoopswiki.org are very much in play as far as I know.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

davidl2
  • 2007/7/9 16:52

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

The community DOES NOT need a leader... or more flipping teams to manage things.... we've more teams then a football (either real or American ) league at the moment!

What it does need - and more sensibly - is a committee of all the Community groups arranged (this includes community sites, community teams)

A leader isn't needed - just sensible guidelines.

I've already spoken to several of the relevant team leaders over this - and its something I feel should be done.

As for the servers: The XOOPS Foundation owns the new servers, and DJ's Project council should sort out moving to them asap.....

BlueStocking

Thanks David,
It's fair to say then I can get 'community' related information from xoopsinfo. Just watch the threads and see what develops.

Refer server questions to the Project Council.
Sounds reasonable to me.

Peekay
  • 2007/7/9 18:08

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

BlueStocking wrote:

It's fair to say then I can get 'community' related information from xoopsinfo.

Well... no, not as far as I know. That's the very thing I think everyone would like to know. Is Xoops.org carrying on, or are we all going to be required to re-register at xoopsinfo.com, or some other site(s)?.

The last post I saw from the xoopsinfo.com founder JMorris indicated his withdrawl from the whole restructuring process. AFAIK, xoopsinfo.com has returned to the status of being an alternative, privately run XOOPS help site.

The thing the XOOPS core team have yet to say is what is happening to their primary, official support site. When (if) they ever make an announcement about this, it will be a lot easier for others in the community to make suggestions that are helpful to people in the various teams, like yourself.

To use davidl2's euphemism, we are all in the flipping dark!

Making any suggestions at all is getting a bit tedious.

BlueStocking

Quote:

From 'moving forward'

Project teams establishment and Project Council construction are being worked on as planned.

The edited text of 'moving forward' stated the affairs of project continuing on as planned. Since then there have been regular reports posted by Kc0maz as to the status of this team. See: Community Coordination Team

These questions are to determine where the rest of the community teams are in their own development.

It may be that I just failed to read the relevant threads.

Peekay
  • 2007/7/9 19:38

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

From moving forward

Only Core Development related discussion will be held at www.xoops.org. All community support will be held elsewhere.

Yes, but where?

My guess is... right here.

Login

Who's Online

136 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 136

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits