BlueStocking
Re: a question from [Xoops Project] : are international local support sites still officially certifi

شما فارسى را حرف.

Do you talk Farsi?

من مترجمى.

I downloaded a translator.

شما قوطي

You can too.

http://www.babylon.com/display.php?id=14&tree=3&level=2
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

debianus
Re: a question from [Xoops Project] : are international local support sites still officially certifi
  • 2007/6/19 23:31

• debianus

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2006/12/17

BlueStocking, I admire your initiative; it is very interesting. But I assure to you that google translator, or any translator, is really a mess for translate paragrahs from english to spanish. English to spanish is better, but the output need a care revision.
It is possible that in other languages the outputs are better, but in spanish no.

Giba: excelent job and very useful.

imrtfan, a precission is required. The language is not the only matter to consider although it is the most important. There are three sites of support in Spanish (Spain, México, Argentina).It is not normal, of course, but it is necessary to also consider the proximity with the local community.
However, essentialy, you are in right.

BlueStocking

Maybe you could tell me what I said, because I haven't a clue. That is why I added the English translation as I understood it.

I know there is not a translator that could do the job, of translating documents. I was wondering if simple sentences could be conveyed with meaning intack via a translator. That would be a start on breaking the barrier.

The only language I speak is English.

BTW: If we had and end-user lounge site we could take this conversation over there....

skenow
  • 2007/6/20 0:56

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

As usual, a post with a simple topic and request has spawned several other discussions. Could we just pause a moment a review our situation?

1. XOOPS is used in many countries by people speaking many different languages.

2. While it is wonderful to have something that appeals to this broad range of people, it presents different opportunities in each of those different cultural environments.

3. Language is only one barrier to effective communication. Word choice, word order, word combinations, inflections and intonation, culture, and presentation all combine to make up the message. Hell, even written English is different than spoken English!

4. Human translation is always better than automated translations. Many prefer to seek help from someone who communicates effective in a language they understand, not a cyber-translated page on a web site.

5. XOOPS sites have been launched around the world in a variety of languages to meet the needs of specific groups of people. None of them did it to become 'officially recognized', but they were born out of a sincere desire to help people.

6. As much as one might think we would benefit from XOOPS.world, or XOOPS.universe, or whatever, do not think for one minute (or even 10 minutes, as was mentioned earlier) that we can presume to shortcut the effort to support people of all walks of life, living in all parts of the world, having different cultural experiences and speaking different languages.

7. What many people fail to understand, is that XOOPS.org has, by default, been the English support site in addition to being the project site. Let's face it, if we continue in this manner, we will fail as a project AND a support site - neither is done well here. The most successful sites are the local support sites, run by the community they support.

Now for the subjective part of this post (I speak for myself, only) - before I would even think of posting something in another language I don't speak, I would seek advice from a native-speaker of that language. Posting automagically translated text can lead to more miscommunication than you can possibly imagine and only widens the gap between 2 groups of people.

The Communication Team has vowed not to make such assumptions. Translations are only posted by members fluent in that language and we are engaging the other local sites to assist in this effort. Only in this way will we draw together the people of XOOPS from around the world. The response has been wonderful! Thank you, one and all!

BlueStocking

With a dictionary and a English to Farsi translator which I have on my desktop I researched what I attempted to ask Imrtfan. I determined that was the language she was having trouble getting translated from what google had manage to retrieve from her old site xoops.ir. (closed down and not available now)

She speaks English very well so she could correct the line of Farsi I had written if I was way off base. That was what we were communicating about. Lack of an online translator.

Automatic translation will never take the place of a person who speaks a duel language.

FYI: I wanted to say do you speak Farsi. The translator thinks speaks is 'loudspeaker' so I had to use the word 'talk' instead.

I would like to know how good the translator did with my simple sentences.

What I actually said was
The perisan article - I interpet - You can.

irmtfan
  • 2007/6/20 3:07

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

imho talking about online translators is a bit off topic here.
anyway by mentioned of an online translator i mean a url translator because people want to do it easy.( not by Copy&Paste every sentences)

as for translating with an online dictionary yes for simple sentences with a few words such a translator can help you but with normal and complicate conversations that we regularly have in forums it can not do it very well. for persian you cant trust on it even 30%

also i think babylon is too weak.for a very simple "you Can too" sentence it cant recognize "verb" of sentence and translate "Can" to "tin" !!!

of course there is not any 1)professional and 2)online and 3)free and 4)non limited translator for English to Persian.but you can get a fair result with this one:
http://www.parstranslator.net/eng/Translate.htm

Persian to English is more needed but i dont find any online translator.

btw i am a he

BlueStocking

Nice on the translator.

Also nice to meet you!
and thanks for the translator.

Your pain in the side, friend.
BlueStocking

Login

Who's Online

144 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 144

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits