gtop00
Re: Repository: Rules discussion
  • 2007/4/21 21:59

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

Quote:

Catzwolf wrote:
I am not being funny, but you guys really should by now know what need to be done and how it should be done. Stop asking what we do we think and just do it now.

We have had topics upon topics about this over and over again (use XOOPS search for this topics and use that as a model). Just do it and set the standards and let people know what you expect.

Yawn!!!

Catzwolf is write! Just have a look at this thread back to 2005.

Bender
  • 2007/4/21 22:17

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Ok you got this part a bit wrong ... basicly the things in the initial postings are to be seen as mandatory. However as usually expected and since whatever anyone does it is always wrong naturally this was an additional thread to collect what people would say about it anyway.

So to focus that into one thread thats the purpose and again basicly these rules stand except there would be reasonable disagreement about them.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

gtop00
  • 2007/4/21 22:59

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Sorry Bender, I did not want to blame anybody. I just wanted to say that everything already has been said about the Module Repository and the prerequisites regarding the modules description, QA, etc.

The only thing left is that somebody should take some action. I am really sorry but I have no idea about programming, otherwise I assure you that I would take all repository on my shoulders.

To everybody: Please have a look at the mentioned threads before you start writing again the same things and feel free to ask for an active role.

Bender
  • 2007/4/21 23:19

• Bender

• Home away from home

Hey gtop00 - There is nothing that needs any excusing Why?
It only proves that my initial post was not clear enough.

Nevertheless this is not about creating the site (because the foundation exists thanks to snow and marco mainly) ... this forum is about making quality content with the focus on the description - asides from that it also allows us to discuss about some things along the way.
(things which might have been previously discussed to some degree too)

This thread is merely an addition of what will come up at the very least once its opened so basicly we just move it a bit before its time.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

BlueStocking

Thank you for providing the trust path in that picture.
That is the first time I REALLY UNDERSTOOD where it could possibly be put, and I am computer literate.

I don't own my server so I couldn't put it at the ROOT of the Server, and I had no intention of asking them to alter files I don't have access to.

That simple picture... is worth a thousand words.

Thanks
BS

File this comment under it relates to directory structor which is the subject being addressed here.
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Bender
  • 2007/4/21 23:40

• Bender

• Home away from home

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
What about these:

- naming convention: rules for naming a XOOPS module mod_x2.0/2/3/all_name_version.ext

This is definately wanted however i believe hard to "force" on submissions. Those will be used for mirroring files on sf.net of course even if the original has a different file name. Should we make this mandatory? Any comments from any authors?

Quote:
- module structure: the downloaded archive extracts to htdocs/modules/modulename folder (similar to the XOOPS core distro), including a docs/ folder and the full paths to the module folder

See also gibas post later. Again something i would like to see too but would think of as optional for the moment

Quote:
- versioning: in the repository, please use one entry per module, not per module version. This means updating a module entry when a newer version is released.

Definately.

Quote:
- language files: added to the module package (high maintenance) or as separate downloads (where?)

Good question. Realisticly the answer i believe can only be seperate since that maintenance will just not be done which would be neccessary to handle it otherwise. And after all if added to the original files it would be the job of the authors and not the repository team on x.org.

Quote:
And these:
- reviews of modules (each month a new module review?)

hmmm ...

Quote:
- tested or not

Talking about Q&A Team? If so .. this was discussed somewhere some time ago also. Bottomline there is no way to do that in a timely fashion. So a Q&A Tage can be added afterwards but we cannot delay adding files until Q&A is done.

Quote:
- central download location or decentralised

All downloads will be added to the XOOPS project on sf.net. Main download link will point to sf.net except the author wishes different and the download is accessible without forced registration or other blockings. A user browsing the repository does not want to end up having further obstacles elsewhere.

Quote:
- module packs

David can say something about this i think.

Quote:
Herko

Is this the end of the list? huuuh ... *g*

gtop00
  • 2007/4/21 23:49

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
... this forum is about making quality content with the focus on the description - asides from that it also allows us to discuss about some things along the way.

Description must be detailed and obligatory (as other information too). There is no reason to discuss it.
It is rather matter of decision and action (meaning how to do some things obligatory during submission).

Bender
  • 2007/4/21 23:57

• Bender

• Home away from home

Let me rephrase:
I donĀ“t want to force discussion i just offer a place where you can post if you think you need to comment or discuss on any of the requirements being mentioned in the initial posting or even those not mentioned in my posting but brought up in later ones.

Peekay
  • 2007/4/22 0:06

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

It's good to see some progress being made with the repository, but I still believe that the publication of detailed system requirements for each module is needed more than a verbose description of features.

I think modules that do not state XOOPS version, PHP and MySQL version and a PHP 'register_globals' setting should carry a warning in big red letters until someone (ideally the developer) has clarified exactly what is needed to make their module work. I am confident this would save thousands of unneccessary forum posts.

As you are asking for module reviews/write-ups, I would also ask reviewers to answer specific questions about system issues to help fill in the blanks.

Regarding the exclusion of unsupported GPL modules, personally, I think these *should* be included in the repository and simply be classified as such. For example, another coder may want to pick up a discontinued module and re-release it. This is perfectly acceptable under GPL, has happened before and provided us with some good modules.

I also agree with Vaughn about alpha and beta versions. Open source provides a way for new developers to cut their teeth using feedback from users. Besides, a 'final' status is often a matter of opinion from the dev. In my experience, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything works.

It is also sometimes the case that later versions of a module turn out to be worse than the original. I think people should have the option to download an earlier version if needed.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

gtop00
  • 2007/4/22 0:19

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

Yes! This is what I was trying to say Bend...
There is not reason to start again another thread from 0 for the same things that have been discussed in detail at the mentioned threads. It seems that I am getting old and some things seem to me self explanatory.

The question is: Is there a specific proposal to discuss?
I was expecting that some qualified members could propose something specific and then start to discuss.

[EDITED]
OK. Since myself have not the necessary skills, I'll try to do whatever I can (based on the already existing discussions), and come back with a more specific proposal. Just give me some time (unless in the meantime somebody else do it).

Login

Who's Online

262 user(s) are online (186 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 262

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits