Herko
Re: Kicking some ideas #2: More BB-Codes
  • 2006/8/28 9:28

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

A br tag? like in <br />? That's what the linebreak converter is for.

Some of these extra tags are good, XOOPS 1.x had (has?) a way of adding your own BB-codes to the sanitiser. It was removed because it's also dangerous, and it's difficult to monitor how it is used by less-knowledgable webmasters. Maybe a flexible system like SmartMedia's media types is an option? With a description and some sort of risk assessment (low, medium, high, plus advisories) and group permission management (who can use which tags).

Other then that, whai I'd like to see is extra properties for bb-codes. The image code, it needs class, alt text, title, etc. URL's need a title, tabindex, accesskey (and an automagic replacement of & into &). Quotes need a class. Right now it is ompossible te set these, and make a site accessible in the process.
Also, the tags should create semantic output: [ b] should produce <strong>, not <b>. [ i] should produce <em>, and so on and so forth. Only then can a truly semantic markup be achieved, and can design and content be separated.

SmartFactory has a hack for SmartSections that adds GoogleAds based on a [googleads] tag. This is very nice, and a good way to use and improve the sanitiser. But it should be used with caution.

Herko

Daigoro
  • 2006/8/28 9:36

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/7/3 2

jensclas, there was a hack-fix for the "insert at cursor position" back in the the pre 2.0.6 days. It's probably still here in the forum, if you search for it.
I'll try to search for it at home, too, and repost it if you can't find it. I have no idear why it's not implementet in the core, but it should be!
Best regards,
Daigoro

Daigoro
  • 2006/8/28 9:47

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Herko,

Yes, exactly that. A <br /> linebreak.
It's very usefull, especially on multilingual sites.

I also agree about the conversions of special signs into html entities for URL's - but recently I've had to help some fellow xoopsers to remove such conversions from some modules, as it caused problems for their users. I don't know if certan browesers has problems with it or not. (Didn't really check, just fixed it for them)

And true semantic output together with more properties is also very high on my list.
Best regards,
Daigoro

Herko
  • 2006/8/28 11:57

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

Daigoro wrote:
Herko,

It's very usefull, especially on multilingual sites.

Ehm, using the XOOPS editor, linebreaks (regular returns) are automagically converted into <br /> tags. So there's no need to have an extra BB-code tag for this.

As for changing special characters into entities, this helps prevent problems with displaying in browsers, or within modules (as long as these modules don't add their own sanitation, but that will cause problems no matter what!).

Herko

Daigoro
  • 2006/8/28 12:28

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Quote:

Daigoro wrote:

Ehm, using the XOOPS editor, linebreaks (regular returns) are automagically converted into <br /> tags. So there's no need to have an extra BB-code tag for this.

Yes, the XOOPS editor. But not all the other text inputs in xoopsforms. Sometimes it's very usefull to have eg. a subject split into two or more lines.
Best regards,
Daigoro

Herko
  • 2006/8/28 13:14

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

Daigoro wrote:
Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Quote:

Daigoro wrote:

Yes, the XOOPS editor. But not all the other text inputs in xoopsforms. Sometimes it's very usefull to have eg. a subject split into two or more lines.

This is becoming off-topic, but input fields like post title are not sanitised for bb-code tags. And that's how it should be. You have templates and CSS to deal with that.
Other editors save their data in HTML (there is one that creates bb-code output, but thatone was never released).

So, I disagree about the [br] bb-code tag. There are other solutions for that.

Herko

Will_H
  • 2006/8/28 13:20

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

How about topic options.

For example

[close]

Which would lock the topic.

-or-

[close]
Rename the thread by typing here.
[/close]

phppp
  • 2006/8/28 13:22

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Seems all most of the "feature"s are available in the hack package:
https://xoops.org.cn/modules/wfdownloads/visit.php?cid=9&lid=423

Be aware it is a Chinese XOOPS 2.2* package. We ever had an English version on dev.xoops.org newbb package but lost during a site attack

I would still keep those features as hack except a few ones for user interface enhancement like the "cursor positioning"

Daigoro
  • 2006/8/28 13:34

• Daigoro

• Quite a regular

Sorry Herko, but I have to give a quick reply, even if it's slightly OT.

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
This is becoming off-topic, but input fields like post title are not sanitised for bb-code tags. And that's how it should be. You have templates and CSS to deal with that.

Many modules do sanitise those fields, as thats the feature thats (miss-)used in the multilingual hack.

For me the br BB-code is here to stay.
Best regards,
Daigoro

Bender
  • 2006/8/28 15:55

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

CeBepuH wrote:
Just tested the undocumented [*] on 2.2.4 and it does not seem to work very good. For examlpe if I have a list of 3 only the first two will receive a bullet and the last one will remain with a [*]. So it would definitely need some improvement.

Can you provide me an example to reproduce this? I just installed 2.2.4 with cbb 3.04 and could not make this happen.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

Login

Who's Online

177 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 177

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits