JimLunsford
Re: Xoops 2.2.2 Released??

All of my sites are 2.0.13 and will be staying there. I tried an upgrade to 2.2 which borked it so bad that I had to try a fresh install and it's so buggy that it's going back to 2.0.13. This has been a sad month in XOOPS history.

Jharis
  • 2005/8/15 19:58

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

I jumped on the wagon before 2.x was stable and loved what I saw. I will be upgrading both my sites once I know the smartfactory and wf-projects has their gear working on 2.2.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

Methis
  • 2005/8/15 20:05

• Methis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/25

Quote:

This has been a sad month in XOOPS history.

I think the last two months:
2005/06/24: Version 2.0.11
2005/06/28: Version 2.0.12
2005/06/29: Version 2.0.12a
2005/07/02: Version 2.0.13
2005/07/14: Version 2.2 RC
2005/07/21: Version 2.2 RC2
2005/07/27: Version 2.2 stable
2005/08/08: Version 2.2.1

And other two version (2.2.2 and 2.0.13.1) that have to come!

10 different version in less than 50 days certainly mean something!

Herko
  • 2005/8/15 20:19

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

Methis wrote:

Yes, it means we have an active development programme and project and an active community hunting for bugs as well. No more and no less...

Lets not make this into some insunuating match of who can be the most vague about this. XOOPS 2.0.x is stable, and has been for a LONG time. Now we have added many many many requested features in 2.2, gave them to the community for testing and bughunting. When there weren't many left, we released it. Now you complain that there are bugs??

There will ALWAYS be bugs. Be glad that we make releases that fix them to keep your sites stable and safe, instead of insinuating anything to the contrary!

Herko

Dave_L
  • 2005/8/15 20:26

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

And just because a new version is released doesn't mean you have to upgrade immediately.

Before upgrading a production site, I prefer to wait a while, and monitor the forums and bug tracker for problem reports.

It's preferable, of course, to upgrade a test site to the new version, and report problems yourself, so that they can be addressed, but not everyone has time to do that.

Speed
  • 2005/8/15 20:34

• Speed

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/18

Thank you for the frequent updates, upgrades and fixes. I'd rather see the project always moving forward than sit stagnant for months between monolithic changes. The changes for 2.2.x are significant. We all knew that some modules may not work as intended. The only way to get them working 100% is to use them and report the issues.

If working through bugs doesn't appeal to you, then don't be an early adopter. The XOOPS devs definitely maintain support for earlier known stable version. This posting is a great example -- security fixes are coming for both 2.0.13 and 2.2.1 with next update.

Why isn't the XOOPS site updated to 2.2.x yet? I'd reckon the devs are just a tad bit busy working. Sure it's nice to know the chef eats his own food. But not if it gets in the way of cooking dinner for the rest of the customers.

Keep up the great work! I'm looking forward to the module "packs" and the 2.4 release!

davidl2
  • 2005/8/15 20:49

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

I am also glad to have frequent updates. As for not updating Xoops.org ... the site is still being rebuilt after a bad hack attack.... so I would imagine that it is more important to have everything recovered first!

thank you for your hard work everyone... some people round here actually appreciate it!

Herko
  • 2005/8/15 20:50

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

When we're moving to 2.2, we'll be making some requested changes to the site as well. That requires a lot of planning and preparations. That has to go beside that silly thing we call real life

Seriously tho, in a few weeks we'll be in full swing working on this. I'll get back to you when I return from my vacations in about 2 weeks!

Herko

JimLunsford

Quote:

Herko Coomans wrote:
Quote:

Methis wrote:

Yes, it means we have an active development programme and project and an active community hunting for bugs as well. No more and no less...

Lets not make this into some insunuating match of who can be the most vague about this. XOOPS 2.0.x is stable, and has been for a LONG time. Now we have added many many many requested features in 2.2, gave them to the community for testing and bughunting. When there weren't many left, we released it. Now you complain that there are bugs??

There will ALWAYS be bugs. Be glad that we make releases that fix them to keep your sites stable and safe, instead of insinuating anything to the contrary!

Herko

I have seen you and Mith say many times that you guys gave the community features that they requested as if to say you asked for the bugs so we gave 'em to ya! That seems to be the party line answer to all who say that 2.2 shouldn't have been released so soon. Why can't you guys own up to the fact that it shouldn't have been released when it was? All of this makes me wonder if the XOOPS Japan move to break away from this place was the right thing for them to do. Did they see stuff like this coming and run when they had the chance?

xgoof
  • 2005/8/15 21:23

• xgoof

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/4/28

Herko Coomans wrote:
Quote:
When we're moving to 2.2, we'll be making some requested changes to the site as well. That requires a lot of planning and preparations.

Seriously tho, in a few weeks we'll be in full swing working on this. I'll get back to you when I return from my vacations in about 2 weeks!

Sounds great... looking foreward to an even better site, thanks. And... have a nice vacation.

davidl2 wrote:
Quote:

I am also glad to have frequent updates.

Couldn't agree more. Nice to see things moving - bugfixes and security, new features... why would you not want theese...? just to be able to say: "well, we only had one upgrade for 2 years...!" Hmmmm.. ?? Great !

Login

Who's Online

242 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 242

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits