Mithrandir
Re: What do you think about new login in Xoops 2.2

Quote:
does XOOPS 2.2 check for duplicate display names?

Yes
"When you can flatten entire cities at a whim, a tendency towards quiet reflection and seeing-things-from-the-other-fellow's-point-of-view is seldom necessary."

Cusix Software

addicti1
  • 2005/7/20 15:31

• addicti1

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/7 4

My delima: I am running a website where my members need to keep their real names private. They rely on their user names to be shown. Their real names are poping up everywhere and they are very nervous about this change. I think some may even remove their membership.

I am reading everything really fast so forgive me if I missed something.....but is there quick fix for this? Please help!

I will continue reading.

davidl2
  • 2005/7/20 15:50

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

They could use an alias?

My name, for example, is not david - but eric blair....

thoughtscape

I think that there are a number of different, but related issues balancing usability, security and flexibility.

1: The autologin hack -- From a usability standpoint I like autologin, but I don't like it from a security standpoint. For now, I would keep it as a hack -- if you want to implement autologin, use the hack. In the long term, I would like to see autologin as an option. I wouldn't mind if it was an installation option -- you can either install XOOPS with autologin or whithout with lots of warnings about the risks and probably some information about how to mitigate those risks.

2: User Ids -- I don't like user ids. I prefer using email addresses for login purposes. That gives the user one less thing to remember -- what user id did I use for that site again? I know that there are hacks out there to implement an email address logon, but I think that this should be part of the core. I would also like to see it as a configurable option. That way you can either use email address for logon and not require a user id or you can require a separate user id.

3. Display Name vs. Real Name -- I like being able to distinguish between real name and display name. We don't have to require the display name. We can default to show either the user id (email address?) or the Real Name if no Display Name is given. And again, make this configurable. I think of the Display Name as being like an text avatar -- I can use one or not. Couldn't it be part of the extended profile?

4. What do display? -- Regardless of what we use to logon (user id or email address), we should have the ability to specify how the user is identified within the site. Even better, let the user specify what should be displayed and provide a default value.

Just my two cents.
Keep up the great work.

James

addicti1
  • 2005/7/20 16:05

• addicti1

• Just popping in

(They could use an alias?
My name, for example, is not david - but eric blair....)

I need a quick fix that I can utilize myself, not something I should make my members change. Thanks for the suggestion though.

phppp
  • 2005/7/20 16:26

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

addicti1 wrote:
(They could use an alias?
My name, for example, is not david - but eric blair....)

I need a quick fix that I can utilize myself, not something I should make my members change. Thanks for the suggestion though.

A temporary solution perhaps stupid:
create a new field "truename" and set proper permission to it; Ask your members not use "realname" but the "truename" field.

kaotik
  • 2005/7/20 16:27

• kaotik

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/2/19

addicti1: I don't have a solution for you, but for anyone else reading this:
Don't use 2.2 on a live site yet!!! This version is for testing ONLY !!
www.kaotik.biz

addicti1
  • 2005/7/20 16:35

• addicti1

• Just popping in

Kaotik: I know, I just got so excited, damit. Can I change back to 2.0.13 by update???

gtop00
  • 2005/7/20 16:38

• gtop00

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/11/13

I personally fully agree with Methis;

What I would like/recommend is:
For public sites with no "secret" data: As XOOPS 2.0.x, loginname as displayname, username option

For private sites with secret data: loginname as displayname, loginname & username both must (default). If admin decides for a specific site, username = displayname.

I respect Miths and everybody else’s consciousness about security, but simplicity and flexibility should also be considered since they are also XOOPS best advantages.

I would also like to comment the extended profiles module in all. For me it seems too complicated; I still try to understand how it works. I don’t think that it would be easy to be administrated by normal XOOPS users (no programmers) like myself! That’s my first impression – but let me play around with it some more…

Peekay
  • 2005/7/20 16:38

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

@addicti1
I understand your concern, but can you clarify where user's real names are appearing?. I got the impression that an existing member with a login name of 'poogle' would automatically get a display name of 'poogle' when you upgrade. I thought their real name would only be shown if they entered it as a 'display name' as a new user (or changed their profile)?

Quote:
2) Username/displayname - used for displaying the user's name, when upgrading to XOOPS 2.2RC2, your users will get the same login name as username
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits