wtravel
Re: Spread Xoops Preject : Intrested people,please post here!

Simeon,

Thank you for your reply. I realize that a lot of activities by the several instantiated teams have not been given much attention yet on this website. How to improve the website is one of the things we are working on, so your suggestion is a good help for us.

About the firefox campaign, we do not share the same goals as firefox. It does not mean we should not use a few of their tactics, but we are to create a custom made XOOPS marketing plan.

alitan
  • 2005/6/12 18:09

• alitan

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/14

@Herko + Wtravel:
I totally agree with you about creating an action plan. Basically, what I said in my last few post was just an idea, and of course we can even think of better ways to market xoops. Definitely we need an action plan , thus this should be our first move.
About joining the marketing group: Sure, I'm OK with that. It is obvious that if we work in a group, is better than me or you guys working alone.
@Simeon:
Although XOOPS foundation is not a company like Mozilla, XOOPS is an open source project and so, when we are putting alot of our free time on this, why not at least we encourage others to use such a great programs.
Well, if we can't have the same amount of budget as Mozilla, it doesn't mean we can't try.
Alitan {{<<>>}}

simeon
  • 2005/6/12 21:55

• simeon

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/18

Quote:

wtravel wrote:

About the firefox campaign, we do not share the same goals as firefox. It does not mean we should not use a few of their tactics, but we are to create a custom made XOOPS marketing plan.

i agree with you.sure looking at working merchant strategies is a point to start from if the own empirical values doesn´t allow to build something from zero.and sure the most popular marketing plans are based on old tactics to get the users interessted in something.but as you already said a own flaire is needed to work out and show the personallity of xoops.

i think corporate identity is an important thing in marketing although it seems to be lost sometimes in "younger" merchandising.but if you take a look at some of the popular companies you see that they spend much money to build a specified look where every little thing is recognizable by the user.sure it bringt the feeling of an older situated and professional look rather than a young an sporty one but i think professionallity is much more important then a fresh juicy look cause XOOPS shouldn´t be or becomes a toy for everyone.you know what i mean?
only my opinion.

i´m pleased if some of my ideas can help bringing XOOPS a step forward and i hope i (and every other who is interested) can further put thoughts into it.

@alitan
i don´t think XOOPS is unable to grwo up and build something very large.i only wanted to say that it is not the same like what mozilla does with FF and there´s no need for XOOPS to compare with it.xoops got an own life and its more important to stand out against others than to copy a way to apparently success

alitan
  • 2005/6/12 22:05

• alitan

• Quite a regular

Well, based on what I believe, the next stage after building a CMS, is marketing and promoting it. Whether we use others' way or create our way for marketing, it is a necessary step for us. I don't think even making advertising products is kind of copying from Mozilla, since Mozilla definitely has copied from some one else too.

Will_H
  • 2005/12/27 23:37

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I know this is a very old post, however;

@Simeon

The idea that XOOPS create an "image" that targets a specific consensus is hypocritical in its very nature. Not to be offensive, and not to demean your beliefs. To display XOOPS in such a manner would give the impression that it were not flexible enough to suit the needs of the "average joe" user. It just seems to me that XOOPS is that unique entity that would do well to market itself as flexible.

I feel that XOOPS should be marketed as a society.

At first it may sound ridiculous.

The community here is so versatile, the users are so helpful. To display XOOPS as anything less than a UTOPIAN content management sytem, capable of meeting the needs of any user, would do it an injustice.

These are just my views, I am not trying to cause a scene.

Jharis
  • 2005/12/28 0:21

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Quote:
I feel that XOOPS should be marketed as a society.

This is the way Ubuntu a very popular linux distro is doing it.

The Ubuntu project has several good concepts about it.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

MadFish
  • 2005/12/28 0:39

• MadFish

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/9/27

Quote:
a start page where i can select my language and will be guided to the accordingly support site

Good idea.

Will_H
  • 2005/12/28 23:51

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I think that the startpage is a great idea as well. After all, this community is bigger than just xoops.org. Every little bit helps, and anything that would tie the communities together would be especially beneficial. Those world maps that allow you to select your region are very nice and have served their organizations well. Allowing companies such as sony and microsoft to support an international userbase without having to create a seperate micro-mexico support from scratch.

Currently, this community is stretched very thin, my XOOPS related bookmarks occupy atleast half of my current list. This would obviously still occur to prevent navigation. However many of the existing bookmarks have been created because of these forums. Sources such as ibdeeming and all of the others; provide great XOOPS related content that many of the users may not know about.

I think that the overall concept is to create an enviroment that is easy to grasp for anyone that wants to take part in this experience. While giving all users the ability to contribute, regardless of the obvious language barriers that do exist.

Its more than just a concept, its become a revolution. XOOPS is the reason i dont go out anymore. It has become an addiction that must be satisfied. While this may sound absurd to many people it brings me great joy to be involved in any way. If my role is putting in a couple posts to help new users, or test flying a new release. Its all about growth.

When speaking of growth it is imperative to consider navigation. View XOOPS as a ship, if you will. Every ship has functions that are necessary for it to sail succesfully. However without navigation that ship would inevitably lose course.

This is why we create market strategies.

The key to market strategies is declaring your market.

Without first knowing where it is that you want to go, it is impossible to plot your course.

alitan
  • 2005/12/29 4:03

• alitan

• Quite a regular

Wow, This topic is 6 and half months old, I wouldn't think anybody would respond to it anymore! It seems the link in my signiture isn't that useless at all.
My Persian Xoops Project:
http://www.MPXP.org

damaster
  • 2005/12/29 5:08

• damaster

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/11

Sounds like people is discussing same stuff for months but without results...

Some things never change!

P.S. When Compared to Joomla (project & discussions here)!
I like people more than machines or money. But that's me!
Lets do something good and great: Lets do open source!

Login

Who's Online

149 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 149

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits