Herko
Re: Mambo winning on PR-field now
  • 2005/3/25 11:32

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Let me try and give you some of my cents for this discussion

I think there are 3 things that we (the community, under the XOOPS Foundation banner) should do.
A. First and foremost is to create a Marketing and Communications team operating as the Corporate Communications department for the Foundation. This means that this team will set the communication standards (like the corporate image) and coordinate all activity. This team will operate on the basis of a communications roadmap, where the goals are set, the activities to reach those goals are defined, and the milestones are defined. The Foundation will try to provide the resources for this.
B. There are two major marketing 'challenges', the first being the XOOPS 2.x system. This is the current system, and there is a LOT of ground we can cover with what we got. What I see in a lot of discussions on non-development issues like this, is that the solutions turn into development issues (like the Lite version). Lets focus on what we do have instead of what we don't have, and make the best of that. I think we'll discover that 70% of the goals we set can be achieved with what we do have... So, lets make XOOPS 2.x known to the world! I like the idea to 'go out there' and initiate the attention. I think Mambo did that as well, and it certainly helped them.
C. The second major marketing challenge will be the next version of XOOPS, currently codenamed XooSphere. With this version, we can do it right from the start, and build a great marketing and promotion programme around it. Relaunching xoops.org powered by the new system, the launch of the system itself, comparisons, merchandise, essentially a whole marketing and promotion campaign. If we start this now, with a few people dedicated to making this work, then I think we can really make a big jump PR wise.

So, if you feel you want to take up one of these challenges, let me know

Oh, btw, the one who will lead the team in A. will be part of the management team for all of XOOPS, as the communications aspect of every part should be taken into consideration.

Herko

luciano
  • 2005/3/25 11:58

• luciano

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/3

Right, what we have is a great cms... so great that the ones using it in a corporate environment wish to keep it secret

davidl2
  • 2005/3/25 12:48

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

In principle, the idea of a "lite" version is very good - a standard version with a set of standard modules (perhaps not the most advanced in each area, but the simplest to use) which will install the modules as a one quick install.... but still the full version of XOOPS otherwise ...

LazyBadger

I see the needs not in Light, but - in "Special" Edition... some way...
F.e - after install (extended) user can select "Default Configuration" from predefined set
- Corporate site
- Community site
- Intranet site
- Personal homepage
and different sets of modules will be installed "automagically", instead of current situation "empty site with nothing ready"

luciano
  • 2005/3/25 13:03

• luciano

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/11/3

I believe strongly in a lite version as a promotional item, but as Herko Coomans wrote: first things first. What I don't believe in is a special version. It is already extremely difficult to determine wich modules should be in a standard version as every users has his/her own needs.

Herko
  • 2005/3/25 13:07

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Ok, people. From XOOPS 2.1, there will no longer be a default core+modules release, it will be core only, and/or core+preconfigured modules and themes for a specific use. This has been discussed a long time ago, so lets keep this thread on topic: what can we do in PR and marketing (read: not in development!) to promote what we already have??

Herko

wtravel

I am interested in joining the Marketing & Communications team. Currently I am doing a study in marketing and this seems like a perfect opportunity to combine theory with practise.

The discussion should initially be about the foundation on which the XOOPS strategy is based. I think the examples mentioned in this post should be considered by the team as well, but I suggest we create a new topic for them to be discussed.

We have a well functioning XOOPS version, but in order to let the world know it is here we need a good marketing plan for it. Also we need a marketing plan for the new system, as well as a strategic concept outlining the goals of the XOOPS foundation. The strategic concept should be the first concern of the XOOPS foundation. Based upon that we can start on the marketing plans.

I hope with the devotion of a group of marketing minded people we can boost recognition and popularity of xoops, as well as improve the product.

Martijn

JasonMR
  • 2005/3/25 13:44

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Got this link from Damaster, should serve as inspiration. It's about the brand consultant Barry Sheppard, and how he helps companies keep their edge (cutomer attention).

Mambo has been doing well, because the have been working on a brand. If there is a team, that will be dedicated to marketing, they should first analyse what they have done, and learn from them.

XOOPS, the name, is brilliant as and for a brand. Well, I love it (a statment often read in the forums, may I point out).

----

What is XOOPS?

What does it stand for?

Where does it want to go?

Less abstract, what do core developers believe they are working on?

----

- logo/maskot
- internationalisation/international coordination!!!

----

Can we learn from the recent Firefox campaign?
What may we addapt?

Just a few thoughts, after a long day, late at night...

siweb
  • 2005/3/25 14:10

• siweb

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/2 1

Go to OpensourceCMS and compare demo versions of Mambo and XOOPS. Which one would you choose. Mambo of course - packaging makes product. What you'll see when you first visit Mambo demo - You get almost everything what average user will need with default installation. Look it has Remember me option , how nice of it, and all those RSSes I heard about ... o and PDF... There is no need to take a look at administrator side, I fell in love on first sight.

Please, make XOOPS look beautiful and usable on first sight.

davidl2
  • 2005/3/25 14:22

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

And also the default style is... errr.... not visually impressive (sorry!)

Login

Who's Online

118 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 118

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits