wtravel
Re: efqDirectory

JP, thanks for the input. It will be best to have most of the feature requests right away so I can use them in the concept

I can think of a browser like structure, comparable to browsing dmoz directory, but then for assigning a category to a listing. Especially with more than 300 categories this may be a good idea. I can make it optional depending on the administrator's choice...

Martijn

dankam
  • 2005/3/17 19:48

• dankam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/26

hello

very intersting idea

i have request
- custom filed ( exp. price, 2'email, drop down menu, radio box ... ) this make module very flexible;
- one listing in more than one categories;

VideoDude
  • 2005/3/18 14:03

• VideoDude

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/6/4 1

Ok, so now I'll probably ask for too much... but hey, "nothing ventured, nothing gained." I suspect that this is one of those requests that when and if it happens, it'll happen much later in time.

I started thinking today that many of the places that I'll be listing on my site (restaurants, bars, galleries, theaters, etc.) will also be listing events to my site's event calendar. There ought to be some sort of integration between efqDirectory and one of XOOPS more popular calendar mods (like piCal). With this kind of relationship in place users could potentially, seamlessly, hop between directory listings and calendar listings.

Naturally this creates a difficult undertaking because it either requires tight coordination between the creators of two independent modules, or it would require efqDirectory to create its own calendar function. Maybe the latter would be easier... but regardless, it would be no small undertaking.

FWIW

kumzzy
  • 2005/3/18 14:30

• kumzzy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/9 4

hi guys im very excited for this module to be up but i got a question....has Xdirectory stopped its development and u guys are continuing it? or its a totally redesign "xdirectory" module?

kumzzy
  • 2005/3/18 14:43

• kumzzy

• Just popping in

it would be good if we are able to do a customise search for each indiviual category

Example....
Under Resturants Category
I am able to select Resturants+French Cusine+ West location+ $30 & above + 5 star restuarnt

Under Shopping Category
I am able to select Shopping+ Clothes + Designer +West location

wtravel

JP, I will keep it in thought. Are more users interested in this proposed feature?

Kummzy, basically it is a complete new module with many features that you can find in xdirectory also. A complete redesign is needed to be able to implement all the features requested in this topic, so it is better to build it up completely from the ground again.

Since many of the interested users already use xdirectory, I will work on an import script as well. I am not sure into what extend xdirectory will be developed further.

edited: I think flexible fields will be perfect for a flexible solution. Each category will require its own set of fields. It has a disadvantage though of making queries a bit slower because of the extra table and more records this requires.

Regards,

Martijn

VideoDude
  • 2005/3/18 15:05

• VideoDude

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/6/4 1

kumzzy... xDirectory got its start through the vision of BuilderB. He saw a need and took a good first step by releasing a version of xDirectory. I may be wrong here, but I don't think you can expect to see any additional releases of xDirectory from BuilderB. While he has continued to improve it for his own sites' uses, he hasn't appeared overly enthusiastic about sharing those changes with the rest of the XOOPS community. People have been requesting an updated release for quite some time now, but none has been forthcoming.

Given the fact that no new updates were coming from BuilderB, and the fact that a number of people have expressed interest in this exact kind of module, Martijn has "stepped up" and agreed to create a similar module named efqDirectory. Instead of reverse-engineering the work that BuilderB had already done, Martijn has opted to start from scratch. I think this is a very smart move since it gives us flexibility on the front end to design this module without the constraints of someone's previous work.

Martijn is requesting that interested parties please contribute to its development. More details on this to follow. So, if you see value in this, please consider making a small (or large) donation so that we can get this off the ground. Several members have already pledged support.

cmsuser
  • 2005/3/18 16:04

• cmsuser

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/15

i pledged my support also.... i will be waiting for more details.

kumzzy
  • 2005/3/19 7:54

• kumzzy

• Just popping in

icic no wonder I cant see some features in the xdirectory whichhttp://www.folsomliving.com/ has...ie: the coupon feature

deepsoul
  • 2005/3/22 20:36

• deepsoul

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/3/6 1

Halleluia! this is the module i have been dreaming about. Best of luck with the work!

Login

Who's Online

245 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 245

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits