daddystu
Re: Action Item #4 - rolling the ball
  • 2005/2/2 22:55

• daddystu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/25

I like the wordbook - thanks for that. It has categories and the cross-linking seems good.
It would be straightforward enough to populate it with a list from excel etc...I think i will run it on our site and see if the teachers like it (or actually use it )

in trying to synch our wavelengths, it seems to me that what I was looking it is really a sub-set of a full XOOPS terminology reference such as you are making.

The terms I am concerned about are specifically those that I feel need to be standardised to prevent inconsistency and confusion. i.e. we need to help developers of modules by 'asking' them to use this term and not that term for their UI and admin UI elements, labels and references.

Hence, compare current modules, propose a 'standard' term.

These items that need to be standardised, though would of course appear in a full reference work.

Preferrably, the reference would contain those terms we would rather were not used as well, with an entry to that effect.

Maybe the wavelengths are not so dissimilar, it might be good to consider categories for the terms...

general
UI specific
SQL specific
admin specific

etc...

jorgebarrero

Take a look at this dummy page (NOTE: It does nothing, is just to ilustrate the idea)

http://www.virtualpeople.com.ve/xoops/Example/index.htm

I am considering to start a series of recomendations on look and feel including the terms to be used, how to mantain consistency of language among modules.

The first sugestions is to change the way that modules are selected (I placed a Menu)

The second is to include a name below each module (so that when you change a module's name you can remember the used one.

The third is to include a big title with ne name of the module (When you select the name at the left, this is the exact name that sholud appear)

The forth is to include a breadcrum & the language used.

The fifth is to arange the options in a "Menu style" acording to logical groups.

The sixth is to display the "pannel", with tags on the left and variables on the right. But, any explination is at the rigth side (not at the left). This is a good idea borrowed from Noah Module.

What do you think?

jensclas

As someone looking from the nebie perspective I love it!

Re different wavelengths...I understand what you are saying. I will take a look from the perspective of standard/recomended terms...It has a major impact on translations..which is why some Module read me files are confusing as unusual english terms are used for common tasks.

eg The best word in english for setting the foundation of a module is probably 'Preferences'or 'settings' rather than options. We are used to 'preferences' and 'settings' in almost all programs we use. It is a matter of which one might translate the best. My guess would be preferences - it infers user choice more clearly. Perhaps we could ask for the standard phrase: preference settings. Preference infers choice, settings infers you need to tick boxes or enter something.

Cheers

jorgebarrero

Ok

With all this Ideas, lets start with the System Module. Lets go deep into standard terminology. Lets take each and every piece of it and work it out.

We cah have an Excel sheet with all used terms (actua), the ones sugested, then the definition and the comments.

This is a good module to start with. All modules should follow this one.

I will make a spreadsheet with all terms and post it here.

daddystu
  • 2005/2/4 12:40

• daddystu

• Just popping in

Quote:

I am considering to start a series of recomendations on look and feel including the terms to be used, how to mantain consistency of language among modules.

The first sugestions is to change the way that modules are selected (I placed a Menu)

I like having the option, I like the visuals of the icons but when I have a lot of modules, the menu is a great space saver...undecided sorry.

Quote:

The second is to include a name below each module (so that when you change a module's name you can remember the used one.

Yes please!!!! This alone is great.

Quote:

The third is to include a big title with ne name of the module (When you select the name at the left, this is the exact name that sholud appear)

This too, is a must.

Quote:

The forth is to include a breadcrum & the language used.

The fifth is to arange the options in a "Menu style" acording to logical groups.

The sixth is to display the "pannel", with tags on the left and variables on the right.

The language selection is an excellent idea but I am not sure that is the best place for it...
Also the breadcrumb information does not fit the flow. I think it causes confusion/detracts.
In the example, your panel reads [General Settings]

How about the panel takes the name of the option that has been chosen. [Preferences : General Settings] this , with the larger styles, takes your eye to things directly and reduces confusion.

Quote:

But, any explination is at the rigth side (not at the left). This is a good idea borrowed from Noah Module.

Yes, I think this is much cleaner. Even better would perhaps be the ability to turn this on / off but we digress....
Quote:

What do you think?

I like it...

daddystu
Re: Action Item #4 - System Module terminology
  • 2005/2/4 12:44

• daddystu

• Just popping in

great, thanks jorge.

jorgebarrero

Ok

I will make another dummy with your suggestions to see how it looks.

I will make a clone to compare.

I will sugest away to select the module saving space ad displaying the icon at te same time.

About the language selection I agree.

About turn on/of the help text (wonderful this is team work you know).

The breadcrum, probably turn on/of also is a good idea.

As soon as I have the changes made... I will put them on the web

On the other hand take a look to this uncomplete file and comment it.

http://virtualpeople.com.ve/xoops/Example/SystemModuleTerminology.xls

The idea is to complete this with the other two spread sheets posted before

thanks

Jorge Barrero

jorgebarrero

I made a dummy No 2 on this address

http://www.virtualpeople.com.ve/xoops/Example/index.htm

see if this fits your expectations

jensclas

Wow...I like how this is prgressing.

I am not sure what you mean by breadcrumb - but I will catch on.

The sub items menu is a place where more can be added - in particular for the purposes of definitions. For example in the preferences screen we have these terms/choices:

gzip compression
session
debug mode
Comment display
nested
flat
threaded
cache

These are the kinds of terms I was defining. If we don't include them now they may be missed. So once you get to the point where we have established a full list of items and subitems we then have a word bank for creating definitions.

I like the new look admin page - much easier for a newbie to see what they need to navigate to.

I have come across a couple of modules with this kind of navigation and they are easier to use as a result. Perhaps this could be part of the 'standard'.

The other side we need to look at is what appears in a 'read me' file. This is where I find the most variation in style and content.

i'll let you guys work on the hows...let me know what terms/definitions you would like me to hunt down and write.

Would you like me to run a bit of a comparison of read me files?

Cheers Jenny

jorgebarrero

Sorry I put the old address on example 2

this is it

http://www.virtualpeople.com.ve/xoops/Example/index2.htm

Jorge

Login

Who's Online

138 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 138

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits