MikeFalcor
Re: Module for Happy Birthday Greetings
  • 2005/7/17 4:37

• MikeFalcor

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/21

I have translated a French XOOPS module (I randomly came across it while browsing the web) that gives this function. It gives you (the Admin) the ability to add a block to your page that shows the birthdays of users FOR THAT SPECIFIC DAY and also shows a link to send them a PM. I haven't really tested it FULLY, but I was able to set my birthday as the current date and it showed up in the block. Now, another function os this module is that the user is AUTOMATICALLY sent an email from your site basically saying 'Happy Birthday' but this remains unconfirmed as of yet. All I know is that I didn't get an email when I set my bday as the current date, however this means nothing since midnight didn't roll around after I set it.

It also adds another link under the 'User Menu' as 'My Birthday' witch takes you to a simple page to set your birthdate. This info is then stored to the DB.

If you would like it I can rar it up for you and attach...

Let me know!

LazyBadger

Why not use Bithday module, which already exist?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Webmaster of
XOOPS2.RU
XOOPS Modules Proving Ground
XOOPS Themes Exhibition

MikeFalcor
  • 2005/7/17 5:20

• MikeFalcor

• Just popping in

Just did a search for 'birthday' and I came up with nothing in the Mod Rep...which is why I translated (what I shoulda said) this French module for use on English sites in the first place.

fooups
  • 2005/7/17 8:18

• fooups

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/12

The original modulewas originaly called "anniversaire" (french word for birthday) and was written by Solo71.

You can download an improved version here (french and english languages)
Quote:
Amélioration:
- Meilleur intégration dans XOOPS 2
- Nouveau bloc plus léger
- Lorsque vous éditez votre date, il ne remet plus tout à zéro mais appelle la date précedemment introduite.
- Modification de la table mysql. Elle ne sauvegarde plus le pseudo, afin qu'en cas de changement de pseudo ça ne pose plus de problèmes.
- Les années commencent à 1930
- Ajout qu'en cas d'échec d'insertion dans la base de données, il y ait une redirection

A venir
- Intégrer les templates
- Permettre de choisir l'année de départ.

very quick and dirty translation (by myself, not babelfish :
Improvments:
-better integration in XOOPS 2
-a new block, lighter
-when you edit your birthdate, the module doesn't "reset" your old birthdate anymore but recall the last date.
-modification on the sql table. It doesn't save the pseudo anymore (no problem with that)
-Years start now on 1930
-if there is an error while inserting data into the table, you are now redirected

-to come:
-template integration
-enabling choosing start's year

Cheers

DarinAllan

Can someone plz explain how to install this module I dont understand where to upload it to eg. modules? or other help would be appreciated .... cheers.

fooups
  • 2005/7/31 7:12

• fooups

• Just popping in

Hi and welcome on XOOPS.org forums,

you must download the module, unzip it and rename the folder"xoops2-mod_birthday_v1_02" by "birthday". Inside this folder, you have a folder called "system \205 mettre ds system de xoops": just put what it contains in modules/system/template.

I don't know if this module is XOOPS2.2 compatible or not.

Cheers

DarinAllan

Excellent Thanx!

DarinAllan

Ok did what you said: and get this >> 'Module File for Not Found!birthdays' also the Image does not show up in the modules area. Any ideas?

MikeFalcor
  • 2005/7/31 15:30

• MikeFalcor

• Just popping in

If you would like my birthday mod, let me know...I'll take it straight of my site, without the DB of course...all you need to do then is upload it to YOUR modules dir... Sound easy enough?

- No renaming
- No modification needed
- No translation needed (assuming you use english)
- Nothing to 'fix'

Up to you...let me know

fooups
  • 2005/7/31 17:22

• fooups

• Just popping in

Quote:

DarinAllan wrote:
Ok did what you said: and get this >> 'Module File for Not Found!birthdays' also the Image does not show up in the modules area. Any ideas?

Strange, it works fine when I tested it. Did you make a mistake? Do you know how to install a new module?

cheers

Login

Who's Online

168 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 168

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits