Anonymous
Re:Cant post in forum or update profile
  • 2004/11/28 15:53

• Anonymous

• Since:

I mean, if i follow your instructions to disable it in my XOOPS source code :)

jegelstaff
  • 2004/12/15 15:56

• jegelstaff

• Module Developer

• Since: 2004/7/2 2

For details about the how's and why's and wherefor's of this, check out this FAQ topic:

https://xoops.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=9

There's a detailed comment (copied from another useful forum post).

--Julian

mongrel
  • 2005/1/30 4:54

• mongrel

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/15

Hey, all!

So nice that so many people have already asked so many of the questions that I have! Unfortunately, I am SUCH a newbie to XOOPs and PHP that often I really don't understand the answers (or is it that I don't understand the questions?)

I see that Mithrandir supplied the directory, file, and even the line number that is to be sought when "turning off" the HTTP_REFERER. But after the lines:

function xoops_refcheck($docheck=1)
{
$ref = xoops_getenv('HTTP_REFERER');
if ($docheck == 0) {

that he cited, there are these lines:

return true;
}
if ($ref == '') {
return false;
}
if (strpos($ref, XOOPS_URL) !== 0 ) {
return false;

What needs to be changed so that Norton Internet Security quits blocking my users' posting and profile changing?

***EDIT***
You know what? If no one answers this, that's okay. I think I don't much mind it if my members have to do a little extra work to configure their firewalls. If someone can and does answer this Q, I do thank you, though, cuz I would like to know the answer.

Mongrel

mustangv8
  • 2005/2/21 16:36

• mustangv8

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/16

I intalled a new firewall and got this problem since then. I made the modification on the functions.php file as you described and turned off my firewall but nothing changed. When I log in I get the mesage "Thank you for logging in, Nickname" but the page reloads as if I was logged off.
I had no problem logging in Xoops.org so I guess the problem is coming from my website not my firewall.
Any idea where the problem can be?
I have the latest version of Xoops.
Thank you.
My website

m0nty
Re: Cant post in forum or update profile
  • 2005/2/21 17:21

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

the modification to functions.php isn't required if you know how to configure your firewall..

as long as it isn't blocking http referring and cookies, XOOPS shud login and function.

most firewalls i have seen/used do actually state clearly in their settings screens that blocking these can stop some sites working..

however, if you really must do this then i'd suggest re reading the FAQ as it states clearly what needs to be edited.. but beware, you are reducing the security of your own site by removing the referrer check, and attacks via XSS and other methods are becoming more and more frequent.. so be warned!!

@mongrel, i registered on your site and activated the account no problems, but am unable to login..

can you put the functions.php back to how it was originally (unedited) and try again to see if that works.. i think maybe you have edited it wrong..

mustangv8
Re: Cant post in forum or update profile
  • 2005/2/21 17:51

• mustangv8

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/16

I already received emails from my visitors having the same trouble. I can change my firewall settings but can't ask other users to do the same. I have other websites and I can logging in all of them with no problem. I don't know much about php but there must be a way to fix this problem with no sacrifice to the security of Xoops.

massacre
  • 2005/10/5 21:10

• massacre

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/10

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
It is possible to completely turn off that check by going to include/functions.php around line 137:
function xoops_refcheck($docheck=1)
{
        return 
true//<-- Insert this line here

$ref xoops_getenv('HTTP_REFERER');
    if (
$docheck == 0) {

How do we do this on XOOPS 2.2 Mithrandir? I don't recall seeing an administrative option, but it seems that it's written that way and the code is different in 2.2. I'm no PHP jockey (still learning) - so I'm not sure how to do it.

zippylad
  • 2005/11/21 19:51

• zippylad

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/10/16

yes, how do you fix this in version 2.2?

In my situation, people can start the registration process and get to the confirm page. But when they click finish to confirm, they get the same HTTP_REFERER_BLOCKED error...

Any help is appreciated!

coops
  • 2006/1/20 20:59

• coops

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/6/15

Quote:

If you mean, how your site will be affected if your users' firewalls are blocking their HTTP_REFERER? The banner thing is the only element, I am aware of.

And resetting your password: see this thread.

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits