YourHelp
Re: The problem with Norton and Xoops
  • 2004/9/16 14:16

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

Norton I don't like at all it’s got a weird firewall hard to explain it’s too functional. I recommend panda www.pandasoftware.com go the full package there fantastic! No one dare to mess with the PANDA bear

JMorris
  • 2004/9/16 14:20

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I personally use a SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) Hardware firewall in my router, backed by ZoneAlarm 5.

If you get the Norton Internet Security Suite, it will have a firewall included. However, you can just get Norton AV by itself as well, which is what I run. I never liked Norton's firewall for the same reason you're having problems, it locks you out of too many sites. It can be configured to let you browse whatever, but it's anoying.

ZoneAlarm is rated equally with Norton as far as performance goes, but I've found it to be much simpler to explain how to use to non-tech-savy people.

Oh, big plus here... You can get a personal edition of ZoneAlarm for FREE! Just go tohttp://download.com/ and do a search for ZoneAlarm. When you install the program, select the free version.

I bought the pro version back when I had to use ICS on my network. With the exception of the ICS support, there's no real reason to get the Pro version unless you know nothing of securing your system.

YourHelp
  • 2004/9/16 14:23

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

Zone is better then Norton but I never went for it. I like my PANDA and panda basically says it all " STRONG ".

JMorris
  • 2004/9/16 14:30

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I've read good things about PANDA as well. The reason I recommend ZA is because it's free. That's a big selling point for people who just shelled out a chunk of change for me to go in and recover their systems from viruses and worms.

limecity
  • 2004/9/16 14:32

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

So panda has no problem accessing XOOPS unlike Norton?

I don't understand why some Users with norton are able to access the XOOPS site without any problem and some can't access at all.

They are not tech savy ppl and they only seem to know that
the name NORTON means ANTIVIRUS. and NORTON keeps away Virus. I am not very sure the version of Norton they installed comes with Firewall function.

YourHelp
  • 2004/9/16 14:33

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

Oh mate by all means if a person doesn’t want to spend money on security and wants a free one I highly recommend zone its good ive used it and it is excellent. But if you want a paid one I recommend f-secure or panda. Don’t go Norton it is a program that stagnates. Hell go zone before u go norton

YourHelp
  • 2004/9/16 14:33

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:
So panda has no problem accessing XOOPS unlike Norton?

PANDA HAS NO PROBLEMS WHAT SO EVER IVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH ANY SITES IT IS GREAT!

tedsmith
  • 2004/9/16 16:30

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

This happens because Norton Firewall blocks 'information about visited sites' in the web content settings of the FW. The way that a user can fix this is as follows :

Right click the icon in the bottom right of your screen that represents Norton Personnal Firewall and click on 'Norton Personnal Firewall' in the pop-up grey menu. Go to 'Options', then click the 'Web Content' tab at the top. Click on the 'Add Site' button at the bottom left and type in the name of the XOOPS site they are trying to use. e.g, www.lost-doggies.com and click OK. Once added to the list, highlight it with your mouse and and then look at the right hand pane. Where it says 'Information About Visited Sites', click the 'permit' button, and click OK. Then the user should be able to use the site without any bother.

Personally, I've added this as a FAQ, but may consider hard coding the change as suggested by the XOOPS lord Mithrandir above .... how though? The function is this...

function xoops_refcheck($docheck=1)
{
$ref = xoops_getenv('HTTP_REFERER');
if ($docheck == 0) {
return true;
}
if ($ref == '') {
return false;
}
if (strpos($ref, XOOPS_URL) !== 0 ) {
return false;
}
return true;
}

What do I change so that it alwasy returns true? Is it function xoops_refcheck($docheck=0) instead of xoops_refcheck($docheck=1)?

Dave_L
  • 2004/9/16 16:40

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

To disable the HTTP_REFERER check, add a line at the beginning of the function:

include/functions.php

function xoops_refcheck($docheck=1)
{
   [
color=ff0000]return true// disable HTTP_REFERER check[/color]

$ref xoops_getenv('HTTP_REFERER');
   if (
$docheck == 0) {
}

tedsmith
  • 2004/9/16 16:51

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Cool - done that. Thanks. When the new release of XOOPS is released, will this ammendment to functions.php cause any problems? In other words, if I had left it as it was, then upgraded to 2.2. when it comes out, the changes would just happen. However, now I have tweaked a setting, so could that mess up the upgrade when I do it?

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits