Catzwolf
Re: WF-Downloads v2.0.4 Released
  • 2004/7/12 11:57

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

tedsmith wrote:
Thanks for getting this module out chap.

Not sure if its a bug or not, but I appear to be missing the wfdupdate.php file? I've done the rest of the instructions and opened my site, gone to modules\wfdownloads and selected update, and it appeared to update the database, and it works OK (except the second page of catergory links is still a bit untitdy and nothing like the first page of catergories that is nicely nested)

The file isn't in the zip so I doubt that my XOOPS site deleted it during the update.? Any thoughts

Yes, Try looking for wfdownloads/update.php

Liquid

Catzwolf
  • 2004/7/12 12:04

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

Talis wrote:
2 lil' buggies reported at Sourceforge.

Hi Talis:

Just had a look at the bug entries at sourceforge.

1. Files in blocks not showing for anon users.

This is working now, if you have a look at our website you will see these blocks listed and they all have the files listed there that should be (even if you are not logged in).

2. Admin buttons?

Can you give us more details on this one? Not exactly sure where in WF-Downloads you mean.

Liquid

Catzwolf
  • 2004/7/12 20:28

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Publish Bug Fix

If you are having problems with downloads not being approved after the My Download to WF-Download upgrade.

Please visit the WF-Sections website and download:

Published Big fix

Please follow the instructions given in the download area.

Talis
  • 2004/7/13 0:28

• Talis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

Quote:

This is working now, if you have a look at our website you will see these blocks listed and they all have the files listed there that should be (even if you are not logged in).

Not on my site they don't. I checked Group Permissions AND the permissions via the Admin Side of WF-Downloads.

Quote:
2. Admin buttons?

Can you give us more details on this one? Not exactly sure where in WF-Downloads you mean.

Just when you go into Administration for XOOPS - there's no WF-Sections button like there was before. Should I just uninstall and reinstall? Tried doing the update thing - maybe that's the problem.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/7/14 2:07

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

Quote:

Talis wrote:
Quote:

Not on my site they don't. I checked Group Permissions AND the permissions via the Admin Side of WF-Downloads.

This was an upgrdae from my_downloads? If it was there is a fix on the WF-Dection website or you can manually approve the files.

Quote:
2. Admin buttons?

Just when you go into Administration for XOOPS - there's no WF-Sections button like there was before. Should I just uninstall and reinstall? Tried doing the update thing - maybe that's the problem. [/quote]

Do you mean a lot of the admin button that where there have now gone in WF-Downloads or WF-Sections?

Stewdio
  • 2004/7/14 3:08

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

As you know, I would normaly go to the WF-Sections website with any questions I might have, but this one involves more people from many different areas of development and may garner a different or more complex answer depending on who gives it.

Heres my situation. I'm using newbb 1.2 (beta version) It's stable, I've fixed a few things and it runs good on a site I am still developing. Except for a couple features that are not yet in finished, this module is really shaping up to be the king of all XOOPS modules.

Heres the thing. It also comes with a xoops.js file, that works and is running the site now just fine as it is. It is required by newbb, unless I'm mistaken.

I have a problem. If I overwrite the existing (the now new xoops.js for newbb(18k)) with yours (12k) I will most assuredly loose all the info contained in my current .js file thereby breaking my forums.

Two things. What changes or additions have you made to the xoops.js file so that I can insert them myself? Secondly,(and more genericly) what sort of trend can users expect as respective modules come out with differing xoops.js files? Surely you can see where that will lead. Overwriting a core file with a different schema each time is going to be fire and brimstone for some people if they do not excercise some caution.

I'm not trying to play the ignorant fool here, I know that I could just as easily 'not' use the upcoming version of newbb, but as you can see, even if I do not, when the official release 'does' comes out, it will conflict with your module and overwrite your included .js, breaking downloads (potentialy). Is there another way around this, or is this the only means of using your .js script with future modules? (ie: newbb when it comes will overwrite yours and vice versa)

I know you say that the xoops.js is not really needed, but how dependant is our site on this file if these changes keep coming about? (Please pardon my programming ignorance, I produce content, not code)

This is just something I wanted to bring to peoples attention before a situation arises. Right now, it's safe to use the downloads module, but what will happen to it when newbb comes out? Will newbb find another way to tie in 'their' xoops.js? These are the things going through my mind.

For now I am holding back on this wonderfull and much needed download module, as my users are demanding progress on the site which is now running the latest version of newbb. I decided last week to give them some crumbs, now they want the whole pie. I promised them forums and thats what I'll give them. It works, it's important and it staying in play. The reason I am so strong on that point is that a new version of newbb will eventually be released and it is a much more powerful system then our current version. Carefull upgrades on my part will maintain it's integrety as the realease comes to final, which is what I was prepared to do for my users.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just a bit concerned on the differentiating xoops.js files as each subsequent release comes down the pipe. Stronger communication is needed between developers when things like this crop up. I'm just glad I spotted it now, not later.

Stew

(If this post dissapoints anyone, send me a PM and refrain from publicly humiliating me. I didn't appreciate it last time and I won't tolorate it again. I'm not a coder, I'm not in the industry and I don't attend conventions. I'm just a user like everyone else.)

Talis
  • 2004/7/14 9:49

• Talis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/24

Quote:
This was an upgrdae from my_downloads? If it was there is a fix on the WF-Dection website or you can manually approve the files.

No, I did a clean install of 2.0.3 and then updated from there.

Quote:
Do you mean a lot of the admin button that where there have now gone in WF-Downloads or WF-Sections?

Scratch this - I hit Update Module again and now there button seems to be there.

Marco
  • 2004/7/14 10:11

• Marco

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/15

@stew

you're right,

I had the same problem with include/groupermission.php file, which was used by wfsection 1.01 and newbbpro 1.03.
I had to modify name of functions declare in groupermission.php, and through the whole module. With chance, I do modify only 5 times !!!

this is a recurrent problem with big projects ---> have a strong development rules ?

Catzwolf
  • 2004/7/14 20:39

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

@Stewdio:

I can totally assure you, that if you do not use the modified version of xoops.js that WF-Downloads will function as it should.

The only issue is an admin side one. The 'show no image' may show the 'empty box with red square' at times and that is the only side affect of not using the modified js file.

Liquid

Stewdio
  • 2004/7/14 22:13

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

Thanks for the reassurance.I don't want little red x's on my site, period. Thankfully DaveL pointed out the code to me and I'll just add it to my xoops.js. Yet another file I have to keep tabs on when making upgrades to any module or core functions. Maintainence is starting to be a PITA.

</groaning>

Thanks for the speedy reply, good luck with the mod development. I'm looking forward your other project releases

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits