Herko
Re: Commisioned Modules
  • 2004/6/30 10:23

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Here's my 2 cents in this. What will a poll add other then the vague notion that people are willing to donate for specific development? There are some complexities that we have to take into account here.
For instance, who decides the requirements? Who owns the code? How is support organised? Are they modules or core features? Who will do the coding (especially if they are core features this is important).. etc. etc.

This isn't meant to discourage you from doing this at all. But if we're going to do this, we should do it right. I'd like to have a request-and-offer module where people can request a module be developed, people can sign in for this development, pledging their financial support (but not actually paying yet), and developers can sign in for the development work. Thus, you can see who wants to pay for what and if it is feasible.
I also like to limit thiss to module and theme development, and exclude the core. Core development sponsorship is also possible, but I'd like to take that to a corporate level, in stead of a community level. This because of the complexity of the material and the time nessecary to work on this, making it difficult for a community to fund.

Anyone up for making the request-offer module??

Herko

brash
  • 2004/6/30 11:42

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I think a request-offer module is a great idea Herko! It would also help in eliminating double up of module development.

One question though about core feature requests, are you suggesting to remove the opportunity for the community to fund a core enhancement altogether? The reason I ask is I would love to see the XOOPS banner management system developed so that it can become a real source of revenue for larger sites. As it is I feel it is just a bit too simple in its functionality and reporting to be seriously considered for a larger site.

Herko
  • 2004/6/30 12:20

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Quote:

brash wrote:
One question though about core feature requests, are you suggesting to remove the opportunity for the community to fund a core enhancement altogether? The reason I ask is I would love to see the XOOPS banner management system developed so that it can become a real source of revenue for larger sites. As it is I feel it is just a bit too simple in its functionality and reporting to be seriously considered for a larger site.

By default, yes, that's what I am suggesting. This is because I feel that the core development should be independant of commercial interests as much as possible, and for the reason stated, that working on the core is complex and has many consequences. So, I can see exceptions to this happen, of course. But only with good planning and core dev team involvement.

As for the banner system, I don't know why it's in the core anyway. I think it's a relic from the *nuke past XOOPS still has. If you can commission a decent banner module, then that would be great (as well as make the core banner system depreciated )

Herko

intel352
  • 2004/6/30 14:10

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

i've been wanting to work on a payment class useable for paypal and other payment systems, so this might be an extra goal that i could aim for

i'm thinking (regarding the request module), have a multi-step procedure. modules/addons get requested, requests are cleaned up or expanded upon by a team monitoring the module, and then posted for review. a general price range estimate for the end result would be determined by qualified individuals on the monitoring team, as a guideline of what to expect.

users will 'sign up' showing their interest in using this module/addon, feedback on features, and interest in paying for this module/addon

once the pay pledges have reached the estimated cost, the module could be put 'on the market', whether on xoops.org or something like scriptlancer, with a note that the estimated range is the max of what we're willing to pay for the work.

once a dev signs up showing interest with an approved bid, the pledges are called in, and donations would be made to a XOOPS donation acct which would be managed separately from regular XOOPS site donations (a pool of money, if you will). the XOOPS core team (like herko or whoever does it currently) would be admin over the funds , and development on the module/addon would then begin

how's that sound?

Herko
  • 2004/6/30 16:14

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

Sounds nice, but personally, I'd go for a more open approach:

- Someone posts a Request for Features for a module development project. This request has an initial description of the module's purpose and wanted features. This initiator will be the Project Leader, and in charge of creating a decent set of requirements the developer can use to write his/her quote to.
- Anyone willing to pledge financial support (and/or relevant code), can add additional features to the list, these can be edited by the Project Leader. Also, this person can request to become the project leader and take over the task of creating a good requirements document.
- When the idea for the module is clear enough, a workflow diagram for every group of relevant user is created. What will each group (admin/moderator/registered user/visitor) be able to do, and what will happen if they go this way or that way? This will make it very clear what needs to be done.
- A developer may say he/she's interested in doing this project, and gives an estimate of the price. All module development projects are fixed price.
- The project participants then know how much they are short, and can begin a focussed attempt at recruiting more participants, or they may choose to enlange their own financial contribution.
- The developer can accept the job for the set requirements and for the fixed price. Then both parties can make arrangements on deadlines etc.

Herko

Herko
  • 2004/6/30 16:16

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

A very nice example of a workflow diagram can be found here. This is Hsalazar's work for the smartFAQ module, and makes very clear what happens, and developers know exactly what to create.

Excellent work, this

Herko

ullone
  • 2004/7/1 16:14

• ullone

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/24

Quote:

davidl2 wrote:
Following on from this post:
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&topic_id=21570&forum=4

Would any module developers be interested in developing modules for money? How would the ownership be effected, with the "rules" of GPL etc...?

This isn't just for myself - although I do have a few small things I would love to see... but although I don't mind spending out a little towards them ... but then of course the code is available for free for other people.

Perhaps a nice big "Project commisioned by" credit throughout the code? :)

Ideas and thoughts people?

As for myself - I would love to see:

A membership module (almost 2 projects are completed - so thats good!)
An improved forum (again - NewBB is getting a facelift - so this is not needed)
A Fan-fiction engine.... perhaps it is possible for a customisation of WF-Sections? Or one of the review modules?
A discography module ?

I'm interested. ...

rudycash
  • 2004/8/3 19:56

• rudycash

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/12

Commissioned modules is a great idea.I have recently paid to have Xdirectory to be modified and was more than happy to pay to get the functionality I needed but then my sites earn me money.

I think you could have a commissioned modules forum. Someone one could post the details of a module they need. The devs could post an estimated price and then site owners could contribute to a fund. Once the target is met then that module gets made and released to all. I would be more than happy with this system.

Any one want to start on my photo print ordering module?

www.rudycash.co.uk
www.findaphoto.co.uk
www.findaweddingphotographer.co.uk
www.findaweddingvenue.co.uk
www.findaweddingsupplier.co.uk
www.findaweddingphotographer.net
www.inomproject.com
www.charliebigpotatoes.net/rudycash
www.googlefear.com

tom
  • 2004/8/3 20:13

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

Hi rudycash,

I was just talking about this with a developers, I know other systems do something simlar.

A XOOPS freelance site maybe?

rudycash
  • 2004/8/3 20:34

• rudycash

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/12

Exactly - like freelancer.com or whatever its called. Someone could set up a site just for this- it would benefit everyone in the end.

you would naturally get more commercially viable modules.

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits