skenow
Re: module to integrate phpgedview into my xoops site
  • 2005/9/21 14:53

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

I've finally found the privacy function that was causing my problems! I'm running through the module installation and configuration steps now. Should be ready for you in a day or two.

skenow
  • 2005/9/25 3:42

• skenow

• Home away from home

I have added a patch on the PhpGedView project page - you will need to download the complete PGV 3.3.5 distribution and the patch. There is a brief pgvxoops-readme.txt in the patch about modifications made and basic installation instructions. There is also a readme.txt in the PGV 3.3.5 package about its configuration and use.

My testing environment -
Xoops 2.0.13.1
PHP 4.3.x
safe_mode: ON
register_globals: OFF
Xoops Protector 2.52 installed and active
Install directory: modules/pgv

Just a warning - the themes included with the PGV 3.3.5 WILL BREAK your XOOPS theme!

Link to patch

Link to PGV 3.3.5

This is pretty complete, as far as functionality goes, but better integration with XOOPS can (and will) be made. On the list of things to do is to expose the PGV blocks as XOOPS blocks, and use XOOPS permissions and notifications.

Let me know how this works for you.

nbecu
  • 2005/9/27 10:42

• nbecu

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/9/16

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this nice work.
I'm just an end user and though I really enjoy XOOPS I don't really understand the code structure and all that.

I've download and installed your patch and for the moment it didn't work with me. I have blank pages as soon as I click on a pgv admin link or on the pgv module on the user menu.
For the moment I've installed pgv separetly from XOOPS and I enjoy it ; but I'm looking forward for having it as a XOOPS module so that members can access to this functionnality directly.

I'm sorry that I'm not of a big help for you, as I'm not a programmer (yet ).

Only thing I can say is that the "General Configuration" link has a spelling erro. It should be editconfig.php and not editcongig.php.

Cheers

Nicolas

skenow
  • 2005/9/27 13:50

• skenow

• Home away from home

Nicolas - thanks for checking it out and finding the spelling error. I have updated the file and uploaded the correction.

Which version of Xoops?
Did the installation complete successfully?

I also took a look at your site and found your link to phpGedView - there is some code at the top of the pages I don't think should be there.

Thanks again!

nbecu
  • 2005/9/28 15:08

• nbecu

• Just popping in

Hi Steve,

I'm on XOOPS 2.0.13 (not 2.0.13.1 but I guess it doesn't make any difference).

Thanks for the new patch. I've installed it.

This time as well as last time the installation worked perfectly. I don't have any " database connect error message and popup " as mentionned in your readme. But the thing is that all links of the module leads me to a blank page (I've activated the module again on my website so that you can see by yourself).
(I also didn't install the themes files, thinking it wasn't compulsory. It isn't, isn't it?)
(one more thing, for uploading files on my server, I first uploaded the phpGedView 3.3.5 files, and then the pgvXoops files so that your files overwrite the others. Was I write?)
(one more thging again !! I've put all files in a folder called "pgv" , not "pgvxoops" as in your patch)

Regarding the stand-alone version of phpGedView that I installed on my website, I have those codes since I tried installing french, spanish etc... languages. I've aloready tride uninstalling them but I still have those codes. I need to get a better look at it.

Cheers

Nicolas

skenow
  • 2005/9/28 15:57

• skenow

• Home away from home

Nicolas -

Thanks for trying again.

You are correct - upload phpGedView first into modules/pgv, then upload the pgvxoops files into the same folder, overwriting existing files and adding the new files.

Unless your database happens to be 'xoops' and there is no username and password - you should get some error. Seeing that you don't, try this - open the config.php in the pgvxoops patch, and edit the $DBNAME, $DBUSER, and $DBPASS entries to match your installation. Edit the $TBLPREFIX to be your XOOPS table prefix plus '_pgv_'. (Just replace the 'xoops' default with yours. Change the $CONFIGURED value to false, if it alreay isn't.

The additional themes are optional. The Standard theme is included in the main zip file.

The module is not assigned to anonymous users on your site - I just registered to get access. You're right, again - just a blank page, but the URL is correct.

I am testing the install on another server today and will report anything I find.

nbecu
  • 2005/9/28 16:15

• nbecu

• Just popping in

Quote:
Unless your database happens to be 'xoops' and there is no username and password - you should get some error.

Well It happens that my database is called 'xoops' . Tables are then xoops_pgv_blocks etc...

I'm gonna try the trick you suggested

skenow
  • 2005/9/28 16:29

• skenow

• Home away from home

I just uploaded this to another server and went through the installation and configuration completely. I even got the db connection error (my db is named differently) and pop-up.

You might also check if all the pgv files uploaded completely to your server - a corrupted (or missing) file would cause the php scripts to abort and not display the page correctly.

Also, I have only worked with the themes using the XOOPS included themes - default, phpkaox, and x2t. Other themes may not play well with pgv. If everything else you try doesn't help, change your theme to default and see what happens.

good luck!

nbecu
  • 2005/9/28 16:35

• nbecu

• Just popping in

Quote:
open the config.php in the pgvxoops patch, and edit the $DBNAME, $DBUSER, and $DBPASS entries to match your installation. Edit the $TBLPREFIX to be your XOOPS table prefix plus '_pgv_'. (Just replace the 'xoops' default with yours. Change the $CONFIGURED value to false, if it alreay isn't.

OK, I just tried all that and didn't make any difference. Tables are created (at installation) and removed (at uninstall) if I put the password and dbname or not.

Even more strange, I tried putting a dummy name to DBname and TBLPREFIX, but it keep on installing tables with the name xoops_pgv_...
It looks like it doesn't make any difference

skenow
  • 2005/9/28 16:45

• skenow

• Home away from home

The dbname, dbuser, dbpassword, and tblprefix in the config.php are only used once the module is installed. Because this patch deals mostly with authenticating users by using the XOOPS users, PGV still uses its own config file.

You can also turn on PHP debug in your general preferences to see what might be happening when you load the page. I know there are some warnings about missing files, but that's OK. XOOPS looks for language files in a specific folder, and PGV uses language files differently.

Login

Who's Online

273 user(s) are online (190 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 273

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits