JMorris
Re: why use css instead of tables?
  • 2004/6/10 16:41

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

That's why I upgrade the software on every PC I touch and do my best to educate every client so that they are at least reasonably comfortable with using their machine. What I was referring to is the older and/or uneducated people who do not have the benefit of people like us to educate them.

Also, there are people who refuse to learn. Regardless of your efforts to educate them, there are those who will continue in their ignorant bliss. Consequently, when their ignorance creates a problem, you have to fix it again, and tell them again, and the cycle continues....

I agree with you. However, when dealing with people, you do what you can, where you can, and make accommodations for the rest. If it were any different, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Therefore, I choose to code primarily for compatibility.

BTW, my initial comment was a general statement and not directed at anyone in particular.

Stewdio
  • 2004/6/10 20:37

• Stewdio

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2003/5/7 1

I agree with you 100%. It wasn't my aim to disagree, I'm just elaborating more on your points.

Your right, we all do what we can, where we can; when ignorance is bliss, it truly is folly to be wise.

Getting back on topic, I would like to see the further development of content layout through the use of CSS. With CSS 3 just around the corner, in a couple of years the measure of a good designer will be in their CSS abillities.

This prospect has made me realise that there is an alternative, and I can be rid of tables for good. I for one look forward to learning the power of CSS.

JMorris
  • 2004/6/10 22:01

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I haven't had a chance to read up on CSS 3. I'll have to research it.

<!--return to topic-->
Reasons I prefer CSS over tables:
>>>------------------------------->
Speed
Accessibility
Simplified design
Design Potential
Consistancy

shaxs
  • 2004/6/10 22:12

• shaxs

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/6/1 2

ive started to read up on css and divs and I am deciphering code in other peoples themes and learning a lot. Its harder for me to visualize what its all going to look like as opposed to using tables

Login

Who's Online

147 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 147

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits