ccunltd
Re: Registration/Membership Management Question
  • 2004/6/29 14:30

• ccunltd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/10

Mister B,

This was great information and help me a great deal. I followed the instructions to the T and only had two problems that I hope you can help me with.

1. In step 2, I made all required changes in both users.php and findusers.php files, but when I go to member search the changes do not show up. It searches work.

2. When I got to step 3, I could not find the define information to change in the user.php file. Was I suppose to add this information?

Site:http://austineastalumni.com/html
Thanks
ccunltd

Herko
  • 2004/6/29 15:43

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

Quote:

Fritz wrote:
I am getting closer to working on a membership module, but feeling hesitant about spending the time on it when I know the next XOOPS release is going to have more membership options built in.

Can anyone give us a more specific idea what new membership data features will be included in the next release? Plus, I'm hesitant to ask about timeline, but...

Thanks!
Fritz

Well Fritz, I think I can answer this one for you.

The next version of XOOPS will be 2.2 (where 2.1 will be the beta release, following tehe Linux Kernel versioning), and this is expected to be released... after the summer There's nothing more I can say about release dates, simply because I don't know how much time the developers will be able to put into this, and I know the developers don't know this themselves either.

As for possibilities with membership options, I can say this: the 2.2 release will have a major refractoring of the core, making it more flexible then it is, a big step towards a more Object Oriented design. This also means that many features in the content management layer of the system will not be added in this version, because doing too many things at the same time tends to make the risk of breaking things bigger
But, since this is an important feature, and a fossil from the *Nuke days, I think it will be dealt with in 2.2. I know I'll do my best to make that happen

Herko

dheltzel
  • 2004/6/29 17:44

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

Fritz,
I'd like to work on the membership module with you. Do you have an account on module dev forge yet? I've requested one, but haven't gotten a response yet. Perhaps we should just use PM/email to collaborate until we have the basics completed.

Waiting for 2.2 would probably be a bad idea. If we get a good enough module together, it might just become an official module. I don't think this sort of thing ought to be part of the XOOPS core, a module is better.

Is anyone else out there interested in working on this? PHP/Smarty experience is helpful, but if you just have good ideas, that could help also.

Dennis

damjam
  • 2004/6/29 21:39

• damjam

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/30

Yes Fritz, I'd say custom content is my primary interest. I have in mind that the admin would have the option of adding fields available to registrants and give them each a name. These would be in addition to the fields already offered in the core. Then the user would complete all or none of those fields and could come back any time and update their profile. They could also check which info fields they'd like displayed publicly along with their name on any posts they make anywhere on the site like forum, news, comments, etc. Some of the information they could choose to display would be dynamically generated from the db. That's it in a nutshell.

My use for this would be to allow users to add information about their various bicycles they ride, their favorite rides or trails, and special accomplishments or interests. With each bike they could upload a pic and select which is their primary bike. Then that pic would display along with their name and stats. The data that would display would come from a training log/calendar where they could log daily mileage and planned events. Maybe the mileage could be displayed to the public as a bar graph representing accomplished vs. goal mileage.

I'm not a gamer but I think some sort of user stats display and profiling might be useful on gaming sites too. I can also imagine community sites devoted to music, movies, and other sports where the members might want to display stats. It seems it would add 'stickiness' to any such site because members would return frequently to log their mileage, scores, favorites, whatever and would check to see how they stack up against others -- a little friendly competition ya know.

The module we've been talking about would be a profile module. It would work in conjunction with other modules where the data is actually input. Or maybe they're one in the same. Dunno. Lets keep talking.

I'm interested in helping with this development however I can.

I'm more of a web designer than a developer. But I have a lot of conceptual ideas. I like to say I can read PHP but I can't write it. With enough patience and brain energy, I can modify a script to make it do what I want, but so far I don't have it in me to create scripts from scratch. I just looked at the Smarty site and read some tutorials there so I think I have a slight grasp on that too. I'm pretty good with English and XHTML and CSS. So if you could use my help, put me on the dev team.

Fritz
  • 2004/7/8 15:01

• Fritz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/5 1

Dennis and DamJamJim,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. Things have been crazy the last couple of weeks.

Before we continue, you should know that I am not an expert PHP coder either. I do alright so far, but I've only really been writing apps for less than a year. I am a designer who learns to do whatever I need to get the job done.

As such, I admit I'm slightly daunted by the size of this project, because I'm short on time at the moment. If I can find a quick and easy way to accomplish my immediate need for my client, I may have to do so.

That said, perhaps we should determine how we will communicate if we go forward and discuss the scope of the project in more detail. Since I've not worked on a virtual development team before, I'm taking suggestions as to how to begin. Email? Module Dev Forge? Chat?

dheltzel
  • 2004/7/8 19:17

• dheltzel

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/1/8 1

Quote:

Fritz wrote:

That said, perhaps we should determine how we will communicate if we go forward and discuss the scope of the project in more detail. Since I've not worked on a virtual development team before, I'm taking suggestions as to how to begin. Email? Module Dev Forge? Chat?

Module Dev Forge would be ideal, as it's desigend for that, but getting an account there is problematic, so I suggest we do email. Here's mine: XOOPS at fishroom.net

I have my first XOOPS module nearly completed and so I have some PHP/MySQL experience. This doesn't seem to big to me, but I'm not sure if the scope we are envisioning is the same.

In any case, everyone who wants to help, send me an email and I'll setup a small mail list for the discussions.

Dennis

koertzen
  • 2004/7/9 0:30

• koertzen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/22

I am also very interested in this. I'm working on my first module right now, currently at version 0.1. It is a contacts module that I plan to link to membership. (I am new at PHP, but it is working flawlessly! :)) I also plan on creating custom and various profiles. One of my clients has a need to have different information displayed for different purposes. I don't want to create multiple modules, but plan on having it all generate from the same location.

I have also applied for access to the XOOPS Dev Forge but have not heard back (only applied today).

Thanks all. I look forward to working with you.

Jeff
Seattle, WA

damjam
  • 2004/7/9 12:32

• damjam

• Just popping in

Quote:

dheltzel wrote:
Quote:

Fritz wrote:

...perhaps we should determine how we will communicate if we go forward and discuss the scope of the project in more detail.

In any case, everyone who wants to help, send me an email and I'll setup a small mail list for the discussions.

Dennis

Email is fine w/ me and if we get something going we can move to dev forge(?) Mine is jimbeach at oklahomacycling dot net

damjam
  • 2004/7/30 21:35

• damjam

• Just popping in

I ran across this post awhile back and it sounds like it might work for my current needs until 2.2 comes along with something better.

Has anyone else tried this? Good results or bad? Does anyone have any reasons to avoid this hack?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Quote:

I have edited the files serving the user pages. Rather than going through and recoding, I have tried to keep it simple by changing the use of existing fields (ICQ, AIM etc) which were beyond the needs on my site. I have amended the following:

1. In ../language/english/user.php change

define('_US_ICQ','Organisation');
define('_US_AIM','Department');
define('_US_YIM','Address');
define('_US_MSNM','City');
define('_US_LOCATION','County');
define('_US_OCCUPATION','Post Code');
define('_US_INTEREST','Phone');

2. In .. /modules/system/language/english/admin
users.php
findusers.php

change
define("_AM_ICQ","Organisation");
define("_AM_AIM","Department");
define("_AM_YIM","Address");
define("_AM_MSNM","City");
define("_AM_LOCATION","County");
define("_AM_OCCUPATION","Postcode");
define("_AM_INTEREST","Phone");

3. In ../user.php

define('_US_ICQ','Organisation');
define('_US_AIM','Department');
define('_US_YIM','Address');
define('_US_MSNM','City');
define('_US_LOCATION','County');
define('_US_OCCUPATION','Post Code');
define('_US_INTEREST','Phone');

4. in ../edituser.php

Find
if ($op == 'editprofile') {

About 23 lines after this, a line begins $icq_text
From (and including) that line, change the first and second number in brackets to increase the size of the text box appearing for users (I have used 40, 100 as default for all).

5. In MySQL, in xoops_users edit the field size to 100 (or whatever you set at maximum in 4 above) for ICQ, AIM, YIM etc. that you have amended (to allow for more text to be entered)

There you go - it is rough and ready but it does the job for registration and is already linked into the core XOOPS system.

ccunltd
  • 2004/8/3 12:27

• ccunltd

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/10

damjam,

This has worked well for me at my site. I have not had any problems to date.

Login

Who's Online

201 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 201

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits