DonXoop
Re: Allow Spaces in Username Hack (easy!)

I haven't done this hack and don't plan to but I'll put in my vote to Not put it in the core or at least a config to not allow spaces. I never liked spaces in things like this or files names etc. An underscore "_" is a better alternative IHMO.

Brad
  • 2004/5/5 12:28

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/4

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:
I haven't done this hack and don't plan to but I'll put in my vote to Not put it in the core or at least a config to not allow spaces. I never liked spaces in things like this or files names etc. An underscore "_" is a better alternative IHMO.

Don -

Why? Why do you not want spaces in a value that is display only? Do you, personally, not like the look of it?

DonXoop

Maybe I'm too paranoid but it reminds me of file names with spaces and strange characters which I really don't like. That whole "My Documents" and other Windowsy schemes that are actually not stored as it appears.

Maybe no problem but it just smells of trouble and requires some serious checks for any security issues. Maybe display only but at login time it does matter, it makes me a bit nervous.

I just hope it is an option and not default in the future.

edit-> How about presenting the Full Name field if one is available? Hmm, that would require a little more overhead.

Brad
  • 2004/5/5 14:19

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
Maybe I'm too paranoid but it reminds me of file names with spaces and strange characters which I really don't like.

You are paranoid.

Quote:
Maybe no problem but it just smells of trouble and requires some serious checks for any security issues. Maybe display only but at login time it does matter, it makes me a bit nervous.

You are paranoid. Oh wait, I already said that.

There are no security issues that I could even begin to imagine. That is, no more security holes than currently exist (if any) in allowing names without spaces. A space is just another character like "a" or "b" or "c"; it's " ".

The rules for spaces in user name would/should be that the name can not start or stop with a space and there can never be more than one consecutive space.

Pretending that a period represents a space...

"Brad.Jones" - Good.
".Brad.Jones" - Bad.
"Brad.Jones." - Bad.
"Brad..Jones" - Bad.

Dave_L
  • 2004/5/5 15:11

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I agree that spaces are ok in usernames, subject to the restrictions that Brad noted.

The usernames are not used as filenames. They're merely fields in the database like topic subjects.

Some people like using their first+last names as usernames, and it's more user-friendly to support that.

Brad
  • 2004/5/5 16:47

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
Dave_L wrote:
Some people like using their first+last names as usernames, and it's more user-friendly to support that.

Yeah, you could have been "Dave L" instead of "Dave_L". I'm sure that's what was in the back of your mind, haunting you.

DonXoop

I still don't like it...

Dave_L makes enough sense to me.....

OK Dave L, I mean Dave%20L... same thing..

Dave_L
  • 2004/5/5 18:05

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

Brad
  • 2004/5/5 18:41

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
DonXoop wrote:
Dave_L makes enough sense to me.....

Yes, but in the real world, how often do you see someone write their name and last initial as "Dave_L"? In the real world, most people would write "Dave L", hopefully with a period after the "L".

There's no valid reason that XOOPS should differ from the real world in this case. Doing so adds complexity for the average user.

Brad (having fun with the bold tags)

Dave_L
  • 2004/5/5 19:00

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

Actually, I started using "Dave_L" (on the internet) several years ago, and have stuck with it out of habit. Also consider that I've been programming computers since the 70s, and feel perfectly comfortable using _ as part of my name.

But the average visitor to your XOOPS site may be a "normal" person who prefers to use the same name he uses off the internet, without being forced into a naming convention for the convenience of a programmer or web administrator.

Login

Who's Online

142 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 142

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits