Mithrandir
Re: Advanced Downloads Module

What are you insuinaiting.... insinaiuiting... insanieting. What are you saying? ()

I already have my hands full with News, Team and Server Booking and a quick conversion of TPL League Stats is on its way soon (together with Ralf57)

Besides, I am not much of a wiz when it comes to file uploading - I am more of a database + controller guy

kotis
  • 2004/3/25 23:36

• kotis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/23

Server booking? Who needs such a module. Leave ot aside and take care of the downloads more first (which is a core module and is more critical)

Hmm... i think you need some time management here...

Lance_
  • 2004/3/26 0:01

• Lance_

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/1/12

If you get the TPLLeague mod out, you will officially become my God!! <

I was going to work on that one. When I learn how that is... lol

brash
  • 2004/3/26 1:13

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I think 99.99% of the coding challenged XOOPS members and users will share your frustrations kotis, myself among them. But stick around for a while and you'll soon realise that all available coders are more than accounted for with projects and moving XOOPS forward. Remembering that most of these coders do what they can, when they can, and in their spare time it's not hard to see how projects get orphaned.

This is unfortunate, but nature of the beast. As I see it you have three options:

(1) Risk going insane by asking people to do it for you, which may or may not produce results (more likely not if it is more than a 15 minute job).

(2) Pay a PHP programmer to make the changes you want to the module (Remember the bounds of the GNU license though).

(3) Start learning PHP for yourself so that you have the skills to make the changes you want yourself (this is the route I'm wanting to take, but haven't dived in yet).

Catzwolf
  • 2004/3/26 2:47

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

Mithrandir wrote:
MyDownloads RC1 IS a 2.x module - as the one in XOOPS 2.0.6, but with some added functionality and, as you have discovered, not working as it should.

Predator has written a heart-breaking story about this little orphaned module, which desperately needs a nice caretaker to turn it into a full-fledged, working module.

But alas, it is hard to find competent people with enough time on their hands to do such a job.

Erm... That little module I have decided to continue working on, its not that from from completion and since I am the one who started it and know the code, I think I should finish the job lol.

brash
  • 2004/3/26 3:10

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hey Catz,

If you wanted any help I think samuels has done a bit of work on the downloads module, so might have some relevant knowledge if he's willing to help. You can follow the progress of his mod in this mamoth thread.

Catzwolf
  • 2004/3/26 3:35

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

I think I will have finished this version before I got throu reading all that lol

I am trying to get this module finished so the XOOPS core guys can get the module site opened and I will let them decided what they want to do with it afterwords

kotis
  • 2004/3/26 6:28

• kotis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/12/23

Oh Catzwolf, I'm happy to see that you watch this thread and you are the coder of MyDownloadsRC... Excellent work you have done on that module... Please, please, finish it up...

If i can be of any help (debugging, design etc...) please let me know... I'm willing to do anything cause my site is live and our users are desperate waiting for the downloads section...

If you also need any more suggestions, i'm willing to help

Regards,
Kostas

Mithrandir

Quote:

kotis wrote:
Server booking? Who needs such a module. Leave ot aside and take care of the downloads more first (which is a core module and is more critical)

Hmm... i think you need some time management here...

For starters, the server booking module is running onhttp://central.booking.connectxl.be where more than 15 European Tribes 2 servers are managed, which has greatly helped finding a server for competition play

By next XOOPS release (or next after that or... well, they've said it for a while) there will be no such thing as "core modules" - instead there will (AFAIK) be a pack of recommended modules with the previous core modules and more. And again, I am already working primarily on one of those "core modules", namely News.

Time management would be nice, but running a company besides the studies AND doing several modules does take its toll.

i_mdiver
  • 2004/3/26 15:27

• i_mdiver

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/19

I'm going to chime in here... I'm very new to the entire XOOPS experience, and I really like the system as a whole... however I for one would REALLY like to see an honest to goodness upload module.

Uploader sucks (I can't get it to upload or download)

MyDownloads has an upload feature, but only if you link to it... How stupid for users that don't understand what that means, especially if their trying to upload something from their local drives.

CMS - Works for uploading, but needs some MAJOR work and cleanup. It's the only solution that works for me and my users at the momment, but it's hard to use, confusing (since the owners of uploaded files have to then assign permissions to let other use them), and it never REALLY lets you delete files.

Would someone PLEASE develop something, and something quick? I'm not a developer, I'm not a programmer, but I've got users that need EASY upload functionality, and perhaps a versioning system like CMS.

As the old saying goes... time is money, and although it sounds like most of the developers of XOOPS are busy with their internal projects, how does $100 sound for someone to do something?

-i_mdiver

Login

Who's Online

154 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 154

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits