Re: XOOPS vs postnuke
  • 2004/6/19 13:48

• leason

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/18

Quote:
10. PN has more modules like pnFlashGames

Actually, now XOOPS has that too!

Thanks to Oliver's hard work you can now download FlashGames 0.9 RC1 from [url]http://pnflashgames.com/xoops[/url]. English support for the FlashGames module will be hosted from there, while German support will be at [url]http://tipsmitgrips.de[/url].

I am a hardcore PostNuke guy, but there are a couple of things about XOOPS I like better.

EMSguy
  • 2004/9/29 11:04

• EMSguy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/28

I have used PN for about a year here at www.911jobs.net. THis site has taken a lot of time and energy and runs rather slow compared to my new site www.code33.com My personal experience:

Xoops:

*User friendly
*More usefull modules
*easy to use
*Faster then my PN site
*ability to close the site
*More options to manage the site
*Better template and theme control
*forum is faster and more intuitive
*Installing modules is easier: since it doesn't take 18 hours to fix problems with modules : "debugger"
* WF-Channels is awesome!

PN is better at:

*More themes and modules developed (although try to find them on the PN site)
*Larger community to get info from: if anyone responds (community wide CMS problem with open source)
*tracking people that visit and http refers (at least I havn't found this on XOOPS yet.

Xoops can be the absolute best
Xoops can excell if it just added these modules:

1.Webmail(on its way), complete: webmail, pop, etc all in one module, with tons of features

2.Payment module (somewhat complete): subscriptions, donations (done), Shopping cart (somewhat done), and with as many gateways as possible.

3.Media player: Complete broadband solution for mpegs (all types), etc.

With these three modules and a little posting in PHPnuke and PN, XOOPS will become the premier CMS on the internet, I guarantee it!

You have already converted myself a hard core Postnuke webmaster.

If you want a laugh see my last PostNUke post here, I was very tired when I posted it.

flyingtux
  • 2004/9/29 21:22

• flyingtux

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/9/6 1

I could answer referring to my personal experience.
Xoops community produces a lot on interesting stuff. The problem is that, as often happens in the Open Source world, good piece of software are abandoned/not finished.
I and some other guys are actually working on a webmail module: it all started just for fun and, day by day, we're getting this close to what we imagine "it has to do".
This, and a lot of others projects, needs only the active help of XOOPS passionate people. The choose it's just on you. I choosed XOOPS because the core of the system is, to my mind, the best one out there.
So, let us all help this community to grow up!

m0nty
  • 2004/9/29 21:48

• m0nty

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/10/24

it's true, PN has more bigger community.. but PN has been around far longer. XOOPS is newer and the community is great and helpful at the best of times..

regarding the answers being sarcastic at times. IMHO well maybe they are, but only usually after the devs and people have answered the same questions repeatedly in different threads..

Xoops has a gr8 search function at top right of screen, and it works TOO.. lol people should use it more and maybe sarcasm in replies will become less & less.. lol

another thing i like about XOOPS is it's security.. the developers take this high in their priorities, altho this high level of security may cause some users problems, especially where some firewalls are concerned, but this is only a minority of users, and 1 that can be fixed if the users read up on how their firewalls operate.. but these issues are being addressed to, so that these minor issues can be overcome..

so on a plus note, I would go as far as to say as a core function and without having to add any other modules or upgrades to improve security, XOOPS is more secure than PN in it's out of the box state.. but sure you can nip over to nukecops and get security add ons for PN, but a lot of these aren't needed that much with XOOPS itself..

and like as said, more modules for PN but it has been around far longer.. the more it grows, the more modules will be released.. and this is happening more and more every month..

personally, i'm stickin with XOOPS :)

seolio
  • 2005/11/13 1:55

• seolio

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/2

I am not going to sit here and go on about the features and advanatges of each cms, but what I will tell you is:
I have tries PHP-Nuke, Post-Nuke, Mambo, Joomla, and Xoops, and guess what, I still use Xoops.

I'll tell you why, because it is easier to administrate than any of the above cms systems, also it has an easier template structure, so you can easily design and create your own templates, and one major factor is the amount of support.

I have had problems with XOOPS after trying to install things I have edited which I should not have done and it has messed the whole site up, so I post in the forums here on the XOOPS site, and within 10minutes I have a reply on how to fix it, one of the Core team members even took a look in the files of my site to help me out, and didn't ask for anything in exchange, I can honestly say after my experience that XOOPS is the best CMS/Portal I have used in a long time.

And I will continue to use it for years to come.

Get Xoops........Trust Me

seolio
  • 2005/11/13 1:57

• seolio

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2005/11/2

Quote:

seolio wrote:
I am not going to sit here and go on about the features and advanatges of each cms, but what I will tell you is:
I have tries PHP-Nuke, Post-Nuke, Mambo, Joomla, and Xoops, and guess what, I still use Xoops.

I'll tell you why, because it is easier to administrate than any of the above cms systems, also it has an easier template structure, so you can easily design and create your own templates, and one major factor is the amount of support.

I have had problems with XOOPS after trying to install things I have edited which I should not have done and it has messed the whole site up, so I post in the forums here on the XOOPS site, and within 10minutes I have a reply on how to fix it, one of the Core team members even took a look in the files of my site to help me out, and didn't ask for anything in exchange, I can honestly say after my experience that XOOPS is the best CMS/Portal I have used in a long time.

And I will continue to use it for years to come.

Get Xoops........Trust Me

Just thought i'd tell you all, just because my user registration says I have only been a member of this site for about a month, I have been using XOOPS for about a year now. Just because I havn't joined the site, you don't have to, to download the core files.

Jharis
  • 2005/11/13 5:16

• Jharis

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2005/2/13

Hm, you know this would be a good thread to turn into a Letterman top 10.

I don't suppose one of you guys that is familiar with XOOPS and PH would clean this post up and turn it into a bulleted list. Of course fleashing out details as needed?

Comparisons on XOOPS vs others get ask all the time. It would be nice to have this tucked away for those asking.

don (el paso)
motto - green chili for everything!

Login

Who's Online

187 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 187

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits