tomfoley
CBB/NEWBB - File Structure Question
  • 2012/5/28 23:50

• tomfoley

• Just popping in

• Since: 2011/3/26

Hi all,

I'm using NewBB 4.0 and Xoops 2.5.5 unmodified from SVN. I have 700 forum members and all going pretty well. However, certain members are being dumped to the site's error 404 page when they attempt to edit one of their own posts.

- File permissions are set correctly.
- Forum Preferences are set for no time limit (0) for modifying/deleting posts.
- When I log in as administrator I can edit the post without problems.

I *think* the problem is somehow related to the file bb_reads_forum file. I see no entries there for those affected. Therefore I'd appreciate if someone could explain the purpose of this file, and how it may impact user edits.

The URL in question is of the format
http://[SITENAME]/modules/newbb/edit.php?topic_id=1508&post_id=12907

Thank you for any assistance.

- Tom

Mamba
Re: CBB/NEWBB - File Structure Question
  • 2012/5/29 3:29

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Please use 4.3 from XOOPS SVN (Alfred's Branch), and tell us if it works for you.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

tomfoley
  • 2012/5/29 3:38

• tomfoley

• Just popping in

Thanks Mamba,

I wasn't aware of 4.3 and will be happy to install and report back.

- Tom

Mamba
  • 2012/5/29 4:00

• Mamba

It is still Beta 2, but it's pretty stable. I hope, Alfred will fix the few remaining minor issues soon.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

tomfoley
  • 2012/5/29 6:00

• tomfoley

• Just popping in

I'm afraid that didn't work out too-well on first attempt at least :(

Replacing NewBB 4.0 with 4.3 prompted me to update the module which I did. I also updated the system module, cleared the smarty caches and deleted browser cookies for good measure. Navigating to the forum I got the main menu, and saw a much-improved layout. Very pleased.

But once I selected a topic to view I got a system 500 error. I was still able to get to the module preferences from control panel, made sure they were ok, did a sync but to no avail. It may well be something trivial but not having scheduled any downtime I went back to 4.0 which still has some sort of permissions problem. At least users can add and reply to topics, they just can't edit them.

Ideally of course I'd like to have the latest and greatest version of NewBB and am willing to try and debug it further, but where do I start with a 500 error? As I say the forum main menu appears, selecting a topic (viewtopic.php) is where the error occurs. Where might I find an error log to assist me? Of course I'm on a shared hosting plan and don't have root.

tomfoley
  • 2012/5/30 10:04

• tomfoley

• Just popping in

Just in case a casual reader of this thread might be under the impression that the story ended there and I was left hanging you'd be wrong. Way wrong!

Mamba contacted me off-forum and offered to take a look at my setup. I was only too-happy to send him login credentials, after all it was surely just a minor trivial issue that needed fixing.

You know how "taking a look" can end up being a task that can age you prematurely and take on a life of it's own. Well such was the case here. Three hours later however I had a fully-functioning forum that exceeded my expectations!

So, I'd like to publicly acknowledge his generosity and expertise, and express my gratitude. Community spirit is wonderful but this was way above the call.

Hopefully in turn I'll be able to do similar for others at some point, and yes, a donation to Xoops is in order and I would encourage others to do similar.

Many thanks,

- Tom

Mamba
  • 2012/5/30 16:29

• Mamba

Quote:
So, I'd like to publicly acknowledge his generosity and expertise, and express my gratitude. Community spirit is wonderful but this was way above the call.

You're very welcome! I'm glad I was able to help.

Quote:
Hopefully in turn I'll be able to do similar for others at some point, and yes, a donation to Xoops is in order and I would encourage others to do similar.

That's what we are always hoping for - that our help it's "paying forward", and the users we've helped will help other users in the future.

And yes, we always appreciate donations to our non-profit XOOPS Foundation!
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Anonymous
  • 2012/5/30 18:50

• Anonymous

• Since:

Good to hear the problem was solved! As I am considering the same kind of Newbb upgrade I am curious what went wrong and what the solution was. Are you willing to share with us Mamba?

Mamba
  • 2012/5/30 19:18

• Mamba

Quote:
I am curious what went wrong and what the solution was. Are you willing to share with us Mamba?

No, it has to remain a secret!

Main thing was that somehow there was a conflict with the new name of a class "User", that Alfred renamed to newbbUser. After changing back to "User", it work OK. While I was there, I addressed couple of other issues, like replacing Google Buzz with Google Plus.

Of course, all of this will flow into the NewBB code - I've already updated some of that but there is still couple of issues I need to address.

Feel free to test the current 4.3 Beta code from XOOPS SVN, and let us know about any issues.

Support XOOPS => DONATE

Mazarin
  • 2012/5/30 20:07

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

Just to clarify, is this Alfred's work with CBB that is now renamed/merged/whatever with NewBB into NewBB 4.3?

Login

Who's Online

148 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 148

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits