solo71
[XOOPS] Designing a default module pack for Xoops Core
  • 2006/7/25 6:25

• solo71

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/1/29

I'm opening the discussion here as following the 2.0.14 version. This latest XOOPS version does not include any modules anymore. Why not create a XOOPS module pack.

I know this discussion has been already leaded somewhere else in the past. I think that with this new politic, we need to open it again.

So here are my questions:

1) Do we have to include module along with the core files, or do we create XOOPS module packs?

2) What kind of module and which module would you suggest to include?

metropolis
Re: [XOOPS] Designing a default module pack for Xoops Core
  • 2006/7/25 8:10

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

Quote:

1) Do we have to include module along with the core files, or do we create XOOPS module packs?

I always liked the included modules along with the core files. All other CMS/Portals I know do at least come with a basic set of modules.

But I wouldn't focus too much on this point, I could also live with extra module packs as long as they are easy to find and not hidden deep within the structure of this website.

This - btw should also be the way language files should be offered.

Quote:

More or less what was in the previous 2.0-releases:
- News
- Links
- Downloads
- Polls
- FAQs
- Forum

and additionally
- a real content module where you add content, since this is a CMS. The old sections module is not very handy for that.
- Shoutbox
- Guestbook

jensclas

Gosh Solo...this depends so much on what people want to do with their sites and their target audience it could be really difficult...

but I have an idea...at least a 'basic concepts pack' useful for new xoopsers containing some basic and commonly used modules like
-news - because it is the most basic of 'content' we could use
-forum- it's a popular communication tool and a good one to learn the issues of site management, securitym groups and permissions
-downloads - good for learning to use your ftp program well
-faq's - a nice simple module suited to almost any topic - either on how to use a site as a registered user or on the content of the site
-image manger/album in a simple version.
-back up module (can't recall the name right now) - but because we keep reminding ourselves to 'backup' this is an 'essential' tool.

But if you were to package a beginners pack you would also need to have read me files that address the needs of beginers, directs them to the documentation and tutorials etc.

Once a new user got the hang of these modules they would then be better prepared for more complex modules...some of which I use and some I don't. I read about a lot more modules than I actually use!

So much of creating a good site is about discovering which modules best suit your needs. It would be a hard task to choose one module over another for a package unless maybe you 'themed' the pack somehow...

I don't know...just running ideas off the top of my head here now...
Gamers pack
Multimedia pack
Community organisation pack
Ecommerce pack
Information/resource pack

But then again I would be really careful that these modules had appropriate review files because the process of download, install, try, discover it does or doesn't do what i think has been very time consuming....but great learning see....i can't make up my mind on this one! I learned so much doing this even though it took heaps of time that in the end it has been a worthwhile process....

davidl2
  • 2006/7/25 9:51

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

Why not simply an updated version of Miths original sets - as they contained a good spread of modules?

Herko
  • 2006/7/25 14:31

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

I vote against adding the packs to the core files. There were good reasons to split them, among the biggest is the upgrade path. Keep them all separated, but provide easy access to the packs from the core.

If an update is released for the news module, does that warrant a 2.0.15 release for the core (where no core files changed)? No.
If the core is updated to 2.0.15, does that mean the news module has to be updated as well? No.

Its that simple. The problem at hand is ease of availability and trustworthyness of modules. That is a repository issue, not a core development issue.

Don't try to solve things that aren't the real problem

Herko

Bender
  • 2006/7/25 18:52

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Module inclusion:
I am against the reinclusion of the modules into the basic package. Its still easy to create a mess with the modules included.

Check this thread for a very recent example.

Module pack:

Basicly a good thing but only if you find a team (really should be more than one person) to take care of that. Its pointless to just create one package now if after that no one feels responsible for keeping it updated later.

To make one thing clear: This should not be the core developers!
Since currently we don´t have that many of them and every additional task asked from them will delay the next XOOPS version. Since moving ahead to the next XOOPS version is a basic requirement to allow getting more developers involved again it should have absolute priority.

Hopefully though we can get some life into the module repository soon with the new site being online and allowing submissions again.

Just my 2cent.
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

jensclas

Although i didnt say it exactly Herko and Bender have nailed some others things I was thinking of writing Specifically...the job of updating modules if needed, maintaining the packages, waiting for the new module repository. I agree that if this were to be done it would need to be a team - and not in the core download either...

metropolis
  • 2006/7/25 21:34

• metropolis

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/15

I can understand, this might be difficult to handle, but to my mind, the core developers MUST take care of some default modules as well.

The core itself is isolated and useless without modules. It may be fantastically designed and programmed but if 'nobody' uses it, it is a waste of time and effort.

I would like to emphasize that XOOPS needs both sides - good programmers AND users. Since there are too many other CMS on the market, I don't think XOOPS can afford to concentrate only on a sophisticated core and don't care about the applications. And I am not very convinced with the way it is now, where there are hundreds of modules. Some well maintained, some maintained sometimes and dozens just existing since XOOPS 1 and spread across (at least) ten different sites/repositories.

Bender
  • 2006/7/25 22:10

• Bender

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/3/10

Quote:

metropolis wrote:
[...]
The core itself is isolated and useless without modules. It may be fantastically designed and programmed but if 'nobody' uses it, it is a waste of time and effort.

Why would nobody use it? Yes it might be a small obstacle for some users to grab the modules they want first but every product has a learning curve and even with the need to download the modules prior to installation i sincerely believe this is not going to cause a big impact on XOOPS overall.
Of course its allways better to have it more easy so actions like creating module packages or improving downloads, descriptions and docs are very welcome.
But when it comes down to it - an upcoming webmaster that is not able to master this should probably start with something else then xoops, joomla, drupal or such and maybe better use a forum with an attached news section.
(this is not meant in an arrogant fashion but seriously some work is expected whereever you go)

Quote:
I would like to emphasize that XOOPS needs both sides - good programmers AND users.

Agreed ... and it has both.

Quote:
Since there are too many other CMS on the market, I don't think XOOPS can afford to concentrate only on a sophisticated core and don't care about the applications.

As long as there are quite active developers i think its very far fetched to say that XOOPS doesn´t care about applications just because the core devs are not maintaining some included modules.

Again ... if priority is not put on the current core development it will take longer to allow a larger base of core developers to join and contribute to XOOPS development because until the basic core refactoring is done this is not going to happen. A price i personally don´t wanna see paid for assigning modules back to core development.
(despite the fact that it would be their choice and i don´t see that happen anyway )

Quote:
And I am not very convinced with the way it is now, where there are hundreds of modules. Some well maintained, some maintained sometimes and dozens just existing since XOOPS 1 and spread across (at least) ten different sites/repositories.

So is this your application to join the file repository team?

Something more general along the lines of this topic:
Anyone wanting to help out on the modules situation:

Please add descriptions for modules on the docs site so we can have one place with good descriptions and links for modules. rowd put a lot of work in the long requested docs site. Time to use it ...

Module database on xoopsdocs.net
Sorry, this signature is experiencing technical difficulties. We will return you to the sheduled signature as soon as possible ...

giba
  • 2006/7/26 1:07

• giba

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/4/26

Quote:

solo71 wrote:
I'm opening the discussion here as following the 2.0.14 version. This latest XOOPS version does not include any modules anymore. Why not create a XOOPS module pack.

About this question, please , look release module for approve

XoopsPoll - Multi-blocks, very hacks and more

Tested in XOOPS 2.0.14

Original in portuguese Novo Release do XoopsPoll - Multi-Bloco e tem mais

I know this discussion has been already leaded somewhere else in the past. I think that with this new politic, we need to open it again.

So here are my questions:
Quote:

Yes

Quote:

All basic modules.

- News (very Important)
- Downloads.
- WfSections or Smartsections.
- XoopsPolls
- MyLinks or SmartLinks
- Cbb - Fórum
- Profile (for version 2.14)
- SmartPartner or equal.
- XoopsProtector (very important)
- Mypage (by Hervet)
- MultiMenu (very important)
- XoopsEditor (very, very, important)
- Wiki (various options, one is oficial)
- Xmail ( rss )
- XT-Conteudo ( rss, double)
- Members On-Line by XT (for me very important)
- RW-Banner (The best module XOOPS for banners XT) My opnion, please.
- XoopsGallery or XcGal (fotos, very important)

Themes.
-------

5 (five) themes in pack.

Thanks Solo, my time is very small.

sorry for my poor english, rs

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits