ManXP
Google and indexing
  • 2004/5/27 16:59

• ManXP

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/8/14

I want to know, what should i make for XOOPS, if i want to get better page rank on Google? (Of course i want to see my web in the top pf search engines results lists). I saw mod, which ads normal News Title instead website name when user clicks on Read More (this is good for search engines) and i want to get more. Are there any mod, which can replace links such ashttp://www.domain.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=99999 intohttp://www.domain.com/modules/news/article99999.html or something? Cause Google can't make normal indexing of links such as storyid=111, it needs normal HTML links. Or please provide my any valuable info for this question and share your experience. Thank you.

ManXP
Re: Google and indexing
  • 2004/5/27 17:09

• ManXP

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2003/8/14

Hm, i found something interesting herehttps://xoops.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1292

tl
  • 2004/5/27 17:10

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

The following thread will give you some ideas of implementing pagetitle for each page.
Each page have it's own title would be nice

Also there is a hack you can use for pagetitles
eXploZ XOOPS hack

Please note that pagetitle hack will work only if you haven't enabled XOOPS cache feature. If you had module cache enabled, then none would work.

Herko
  • 2004/5/27 17:21

• Herko

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2002/2/4 1

If Google can't deal with those links, howcome it has indexed over 40.000 pages from this website?

ALso, in the next major release, there will probably be a good url rewrite engine included.

Herko

tl
  • 2004/5/27 20:28

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Google does not have any problems indexing XOOPS sites.

As of ranking by Google, without a pagetitle hack, everything from XOOPS is shown as

sitename - module name

This does not help in ranking. All relevant information is listed under "site name - module name" and is treated as secondary by Google ranking system. Google has given pagetitle more weight in ranking.

I hope the XOOPS core developer would consider caching pagetitle by header.php. The pagetitle hack becomes useless once the modules cache has been enabled.

limecity
  • 2004/5/27 21:19

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

DOes google index the XOOPS gallery page?

How do i make the images.. searchable in google?

xantius
  • 2004/6/8 18:10

• xantius

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/17

I'm trying to figure out how to get google to pick up pages on my site that have no links to them as well as how to get google to pick up the newest articles I have posted on my web page. How does this work? Do you have to have links for googlebot to be able to find everything on your site? Any suggestions?

sikey
  • 2004/6/8 20:02

• sikey

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/4/29

Xanthius: you can use thishttp://digart.be/maketxt/ to make a list of all urls on your site...

sikey
  • 2004/6/8 20:15

• sikey

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/4/29

Quote:

I hope the XOOPS core developer would consider caching pagetitle by header.php. The pagetitle hack becomes useless once the modules cache has been enabled.

ARe there any plans to put this in the core or is there anyone able to make a hack?

jctsup1
  • 2004/6/26 19:50

• jctsup1

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2002/5/23

Guys -

I used to think that Page titles were important for ranking but now I'm not so sure. Been using XOOPS for a long time now & when you do a simple search for IIS on Google, my site comes up #6. The point is that your ranking is based on a lot more than your page title. Google & the other major search engines do use page titles but they primarily base ranking on content and how relevant your site is to the search term. I am also constantly updating my meta tags - not sure is that helps or not.

I have a question about Google caching. I know its relatively easy to restrict google & the other engines from caching the site. Wouldn't the normal SOP be to restrict caching so that the users always have to come to the site instead of viewing a cached copy of our site? Wouldn't this in the long run increase traffic?

Login

Who's Online

156 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 156

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits