brash
Best practice for mass mailing users?
  • 2004/3/25 0:50

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Hi All,

Just wondering what the best mail config would be to handle mailing to 1000's of users at a time? The site I'm involved with is apprachin 5000 members and is wanting to send mass e-mails only about 3~4 times a year. The mail setup is currently set to PHP mail I think, and is currently getting a blank page after about 700 e-mails. Would using SMTP instead of PHP to mail be better for this, or are there any hacks to allow PHP to mail as many users as you want?

fluent
Re: Best practice for mass mailing users?
  • 2004/5/19 17:21

• fluent

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/11/22

I have exactly the same problem. Its really annoying that XOOPS dont have a fix for this yet, If The XOOPS team want XOOPS to do well, they need to allow sites to have more than 700 users... :/

Jonathan

Fritz
  • 2004/5/19 20:07

• Fritz

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/5 1

Is this a limitation of XOOPS?

I know that my host's mail server is set to restrict the number of emails that can be sent per account per hour. Could this be the problem for you?

Mithrandir

It is very likely that with a high enough number of users, the memory limit will be reached, thus making the server choke (or at least stop what it is doing on this page)

Just like it was necessary to change the way users are added to groups if there are more than 200 users (it goes to "find user" if there are more than 200 users when you go to edit group members)

Fritz
  • 2004/5/19 21:13

• Fritz

• Just popping in

Is it possible to select a sub-group of users as email recipients, then later select the next sub-group, send, and repeat the process until everyone has been a recipient?

To overcome the limitation of my mail server (250 emails per hour per account to discourage spamming) for a custom PHP web site I designed an email Queue that took a list of receipients and divided it into smaller groups. Then I created a Cron to check the queue and send out the next email to its group every hour.

Perhaps a future XOOPS module or core addition could do something similar to overcome such limitations, whether they be due to mail server limits or memory limits...

fluent
  • 2004/5/19 21:16

• fluent

• Just popping in

Its not getting as far as the sending the mail I think. Theres no limit being hit in the mail logs. Just XOOPS showing a blank page... Theres been quite a few posts about it in the forums but no solutions...

Mithrandir

It is possible to send mails to only one (or more) usergroup(s) via the "mail users" option in system admin.

A cron job scheduler would be an excellent addition to XOOPS - and your idea of an email queue seems like a usable solution to get around this problem with mailing many users.

Would it be possible for you to do something about this? I know you are setting up a XOOPS Site (your first?) but if you can look into what makes a cron job scheduler work, I'm sure others here can help with getting it working through XOOPS.

Mithrandir

Quote:

fluent wrote:

Its not getting as far as the sending the mail I think. Theres no limit being hit in the mail logs. Just XOOPS showing a blank page... Theres been quite a few posts about it in the forums but no solutions...
Do you have php debug enabled, when you try this?

fluent
  • 2004/5/19 21:21

• fluent

• Just popping in

Would just like to say in addition I dont think this is because of php memory limits.. Theres no errors given in my php log.

Fritz
  • 2004/5/19 21:26

• Fritz

• Just popping in

I set up the cron job using cPanel's built-in cron job scheduler. Beyond that I'm not much of a cron/linux expert. More of a designer, but I agree that a cron job scheduler would be an good addition to XOOPS, and would be willing to check into it when I get a chance.

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits