Hennessy
XOOPS and server load
  • 2004/2/18 12:27

• Hennessy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/28

I have had my site running for 90 days now and it often has 50 -60 user online at one time. At this point in time I have experienced little depreciation in server response time (I am using the cache feature) but am just wondering what the 'theoretical' limit of the XOOPS core would be as far as online users goes.

I am just worried that as the site expands (considering that it has only been live for 3 months) whether I will reach the limit of Xoops' efficiency - keeping in mind that I realise a lot of it has to do with server specs.

BTW, I should point out that this is in no way an attack on the XOOPS developers. In fact I was very impressed that XOOPS worked faultlessly over my biggest weekend - well over 500,000 hits in 2 days on a virtual host. It is just a question that jumped into my head - if she is this good.. how much can she REALLY take?

Cheers.
Heno.

Mithrandir
Re: XOOPS and server load

We have yet to find a "ceiling" which can be directly tracked back to XOOPS.

Usually bandwith or server specs hit the ceiling beforehand. Xoops.org has rather constantly 40+ users online with a total of 15000 registered users and I have heard of people having several times this amount of users online.

The devs are in no way saying that XOOPS doesn't have a limit - and it could very well have one, since it IS dependant on PHP and MySQL + webserver - but how high it is, we do not know.

carnuke
  • 2004/2/18 15:53

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

Just ot of curiosity How do you achieve a hit rate of 500,000 in 2 days after 3 months online on a new site???

Richard

carnuke
  • 2004/2/18 15:57

• carnuke

• Home away from home

• Since: 2003/11/5

bump

Hennessy
  • 2004/2/19 1:14

• Hennessy

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/10/28

I am not sure what you mean as to how to get 500,000 hits. But I can give you the circumstances of those two days.

I have a site dedicated to drag racing and it was one weekend that we were covering a major meeting. So over the two days the site was hit quite heavily as people checked in to see updated results from the two days of racing.

If you are asking how the site became that popular in only 3 months... I guess all I can say is that I found a market opportunity, and the site is now the leader in this market.

I hope that answers your question. I was not really sure what you meant by it.

Cheers.
Heno.

(and I find it odd that you bumped after only 4 minutes! )

ylw633
  • 2004/2/20 2:29

• ylw633

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/19

I have the same question as the post originator. At first our site was on technolojik.net but was being kicked out because they say we used too much resource. At first we thought it was technolojik.net that is providing bad service and put too many sites on one server even though we are on premium plan.

We then moved to lunarpages.com and is on their premium plan as well (but still a shared hosting plan) for about 3 months, however, we have recently been warned our site that uses XOOPS is giving server a big load. Our site currently has an average of 500k daily hits, and at most would have over 150 users online. Our busiest hours has an average of about 30k hits.

I am really frustrated and don't really know if it's XOOPS problem because we didn't experience a high server load until recently (at least not being warned) and we have turned off session, turned on cache, and even closed our forum ever since. However sometimes the server still spikes up to a very high load (like over 60).

I don't want to admit it's XOOPS problem but it's the second time we have been warned by our host. Is there any issue with 2.0.6 using too much resource? Or is it really the limit of XOOPS?

By the way, their server is linux 2.4.20-28.8smp with 4 CPU, and recently their /var partition is at about 90% full. Our XOOPS is configured using persistent connection and have about 35MB of MySQL database size. Our cache for forum and news pages are set to 30 seconds.

Can somebody help us and see if there is anyway we can do to reduce resource taken by XOOPS?

Much appreciated!!

Dave_L
  • 2004/2/20 4:40

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

Have you tried turning off persistent connections?

ylw633
  • 2004/2/20 5:09

• ylw633

• Just popping in

i thought turn on persistent connection will help performance?

since we have 150 people online at the same time wouldn't it be a lot of overhead in opening/closing connections if not using persistent connection?

please advice

Dave_L
  • 2004/2/20 5:30

• Dave_L

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/11/7

I haven't personally experimented with it, but I've heard that persistent connections use a lot of memory. I suppose it depends on what kind of resource limit your hitting: processor, memory, or something else.

ylw633
  • 2004/2/20 5:43

• ylw633

• Just popping in

i think it's processor since memory utilization is no more than 50%, even swap is less than 1% on that server.

Login

Who's Online

164 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 164

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits