twitaman
WYSIWYG editor
  • 2004/7/30 1:39

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

I know there's no WYSIWYG editor with XOOPS built in but is there a decent add-on that I can use until there is one?

brian100
Re: WYSIWYG editor
  • 2004/7/30 2:10

• brian100

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/7 2

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking--but if you want some wysiwyg capabilities for editing articles or news--the spaw editor will work. It's worked fine for me with the wfsections module--but I believe it can work separately????

A few notes about this.
1)Wfsections generates some error messages at the bottom of my personal/experimental site. I don't mind on this site--but I wouldn't want to look so amateurish on my other site. I don't think the problem is with the spaw editor--Wfsections is still a little beta.

2)The spaw editor doesn't work (for me) in netscape/firefox. Works fine in IE though. I don't like to use IE, so I downloaded a firefox extension that lets me open a given link in IE.

3)wysiwyg has it's limitations and html isn't really all that hard. You're going to end up writing a little html at some point--why not just get your hands dirty.

4)I have generated some content in FrontPage. (wysiwg for dummies) and pasted it in. Tables can be a little tricky. Once you get them working right in a XOOPS article--it pays to make a template from that file. After you've got your template though--it ends up being easier just to open it in notepad and edit it that way.(You'll probably want a little color picker program, too--that's mainly what I use frontpage for).

5)Finally--lots of modules in XOOPS let you import your wysiwyg-generated html stuff in as an article.

Brian

brash
  • 2004/7/30 5:13

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

The SPAW editor only works with recent version (5.5+ I think) of Internet Explorer. There is a WYSIWYG editor by Samuels that is near completeion that works across different makes and versions of browser.

twitaman
  • 2004/7/30 18:57

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

Thanks. I actually know some html (at least enough to feel comfortable doing the basic stuff) but I've volunteered to build a website for a community based org that I belong to and I just want to make sure that the contributors can easily add content. Because some of these people have NO real tech skills of any kind beyond Word and email ya' know (we're talking grandmas in some cases) so a strong WYIWYG editor is probably going to be one of the major deciding factors on which CMS tool I finally choose. You could have a meltdown trying to decide which CMS to choose. XOOPS vs. ezpublish vs. Mambo vs. Mumbojumbo vs. not-so-ezpublish, +or whatever else is out there....

Login

Who's Online

364 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 364

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits