Nick-
PHP SafeMode :: Pros and Cons
  • 2004/7/28 1:04

• Nick-

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/23

Hey everybody,

I've recently run into some restrictions having safemode on. I just wanted to hear from all you other XOOPS users what your experiences have been with safemode. I know there are generic manuals, FAQs, and documents on safemode, but I want to hear it from other XOOPS users: What are the pros and cons of disabling safemode?

You see, I want to install xcGallery but it doesn't like safemode at all. The script won't detect there are files in albums and all those kinds of fun things. The gallery is a very important part of a new site I am making and I don't really like any of the alternatives out there. xcGallery seems to be very feature rich and the best integrated with XOOPS.

So I need to decide, do I turn off safemode or force myself to use another album system? Getting feedback from people who may have had to deal with this kind of thing in the past is much more comforting than jumping blindly into a decision.

Thanks for any time and help you guys can give,
Nick

P.S. I'm on a shared Linux environment.

djsckizo
Re: PHP SafeMode :: Pros and Cons
  • 2004/7/28 1:17

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/5/9 8

Yeah, coppermine hates Safe mode, as I have also discovered. The Invision Board mod acts a little funny with it too, but I think it has a work around for that in it.

Personally, I left one host because they have safemode on and refuse to turn it off...and the fact that they use Ensim and I hate Ensim with a passion Mel Gibson couldn't imagine.

What will be your purpose for using xcgal? What I mean is, will it be a massive blow to your site if you don't use it?

(I use xcgal)

Nick-
  • 2004/7/28 2:07

• Nick-

• Just popping in

Quote:

djsckizo wrote:

What will be your purpose for using xcgal? What I mean is, will it be a massive blow to your site if you don't use it?

(I use xcgal)

I'm making a site to promote maps for a game. There will be videos and screenshots of each map. The whole point of the site is to let you view the map before you download it. I was wanting to give each map its own album and add images to it, also letting my moderators add images.

Basically if there are no images, there are only videos - dialup users won't like that much. But you can also see some quality in raw screenshots that just isn't there when you watch a video but is there when you play.

So I'd have to say that screenshots are at least 40% of the website.

On a different note, my host would gladly turn them off, however I just worry what the affects could possibly be, since it is a security feature.

Nick

djsckizo
  • 2004/7/28 3:03

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

MyAlbum sounds like it would work fine for that type of thing. I use MyAlbum on one site, and xCgal on another site. MyAlbum is great because it is only an image gallery without the extra features that xCgal has, like private albums, the ecard thing, stuff like that. It would be needless for what you want to do. I'd say to go with MyAlbum.

Nick-
  • 2004/7/28 22:37

• Nick-

• Just popping in

Hey dj,

I decided to keep at it with XCGal and uninstalled and reinstalled it. I uncommented the safemode line in one of the files like the readme said, before installing. Now it seems to be working, unless there is some functionality that isn't working that I just can't see right now.

I think I'll stick with this unless I see some major problem arise. Thanks for the suggestion though, it'll be my fallback if something goes wrong.

Nick

djsckizo
  • 2004/7/28 22:54

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

I'm not sure if this is a drawback of php safe mode or Ensim, because my host with safe mode on (host4students.com) used Ensim and all of my other hosts have always used CPanel. Now, with the Ensim host I was always unable to delete or even copy uploaded media via FTP. With CPanel, I never had that problem but it had safe mode off, so I don't know if it was a problem with Ensim or Safe Mode. I'd suggest testing that first before commiting to something.

:)

Nick-
  • 2004/7/28 23:54

• Nick-

• Just popping in

I run CPanel and I've never had any problems. Maybe I'm missing what you're saying?

Nick

djsckizo
  • 2004/7/30 2:17

• djsckizo

• Just can't stay away

On the ensim one, I was able to upload pictures, but when I tried to back them up with an ftp program, it always told me I didn't have permission. I would change their permissions and everything, and still no luck.

On the Cpanel one, that never happened.

Ensim also had Safemode on but I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Login

Who's Online

221 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 221

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits