DonXoop
Jabber authentication via Xoops?

I'm looking for a decent chat module to go with a new X site I'm doing for a car club. The ChatMX has some problems and not ready for prime time so I'm looking at alternatives. I want to stay away from the so called Free messenger services and prefer to have control over things on my end.

Jabber seems to be fast, secure, and Open. I think there is a way to authenticate against SQL. I even found a jabbernuke project. I'd be happy to simply authenticate against XoopS so users don't have to signup twice. It doesn't have to be a full module but of course that could happen too.

Anyone using Jabber out there with their X user base?

Thanks from the cold White North.

DonXoop
Re: Jabber authentication via Xoops?

Doing a search for Jabber I found my own post....

Bumping this back up.. Anyone doing or interested in Jabber integration? I'm currently using FlashChat and that works pretty good and is soon to be even better.

But I'd like to also look at Jabber with XOOPS integration. A good headstart might be Class.Jabber.PHP

For me it must be secure, fast, run on nearly anything. Jabber and XOOPS fit the bill. Authentication from XOOPS to Jabber should be possible. Then I wonder about a direct connect to Jabber without first logging into XOOPS (very useful). I think I'd want authentication from either direction...

And a happy almost Spring to all!

mikeytheman

i don't know if this of any help...but i wanted to add a web-based jabber client so that i could access my im services from school without having to download everything every time...and came acrossWebMessenger..not sure about porting it to xoops...but that might work maybe?

lavaburst
  • 2004/7/23 20:47

• lavaburst

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/6/13

I just hooked up a chat room to my XOOPS site and it uses a module called IRCMod 2.0

The nice thing is its integrated with XOOPS and IRC so it will use their XOOPS username (if they are logged in of course)

I think using Jabber is a good idea too, but im very partial to IRC since its been around for 15 years and works so well.

You can find the IRCmod 2.0 module here:

Link

(It does require Java)

there are many irc servers you can use (for free)

you could try irc.efnet.org in the settings.

and set your own channel name (make sure the channel doesnt exist already, you can create ANY channel on IRC)

Also, i edited the default username because it was in french (Visiteur??) .. I changed it to Visitor??

You can see it in action here:

hyperpod.net/modules/ircmod

vinit
  • 2004/8/2 7:35

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

ya i would also like to see jabber with xoops... this will allow providing messenger services to the mebmers of the site....

Cool idea.. has anyone got any clue or idea about how we can do this...

vinit
  • 2004/8/2 17:00

• vinit

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/1/10

http://jabbernuke.com/ is one site that offers Jabber for php nuke.. do we have somthing like that for XOOPS also ???

jmass
  • 2004/8/2 17:07

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I would love a Jabber XOOPS module. As far as I know there is not one. I will look at the nuke mod and see if it within my abilities.

JMass

jmass
  • 2004/8/2 18:13

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

The nuke mod looks like it just launches standard webmessenger. It does not link authentication or anything... I think that should be very easy, but I would want more. XOOPS auth would work for both.

The trick is that the jabber server you are connecting to has to access the XOOPS DB. I think that would be a requirement.

I will work on seperate auth then go from there.

JMass

mikeytheman

does it use the webmessenger link that i provided above? cause it has it's own database tables...to keep track of the users preferences and transport settings...as well as authentication to whatever jabber server it's connecting to (which does it's own stuff)...so you'd only really need to transfer over the messengers tables and such..i think...i was thinking of trying...but i'm not even close to understanding...anything about any of this lol

cgranade
  • 2004/8/4 2:36

• cgranade

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/13

If you could tell XOOPS to use another source for userauths than the XOOPS DB, then you could connect both XOOPS and jabberd to the same LDAP server, and hack the XOOPS register link to create LDAP accounts, as well as hack jabberd to do the same.

Login

Who's Online

83 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 83

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits