tayling
Lunar Pages problems
  • 2004/6/30 22:12

• tayling

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/1/3 7

Hi Guys - have just recieved this email form lunar pages - any comments?
sylviap.com.au suspended

============== Message: ==============
Hello,

Your sylviap.com.au site has been suspended as the XOOPS installation was being exploited to launch an attack on another server. Additionally, we do not allow XOOPS on our servers because of it's server resource usage.
==============

What do you reckon? I have 10 XOOPS sites hosted by them - looks like i need a new home!!

brash
Re: Lunar Pages problems
  • 2004/6/30 22:20

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

Yep, if they are unable or unwilling to service your hosting needs, then there is no reason to stay with them.

brash
  • 2004/6/30 22:22

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Actually, if you have 10 XOOPS sites of decent size (1000+ visitors a day each) I would be looking at hosting your sites on a dedicated server.

tayling
  • 2004/6/30 22:34

• tayling

• Just popping in

Yes you are right - what do i need do you reckon? I am a little shocked by their attitude i must say.
Any help greatly appreciated

Regards

Tony

Big_Bro
  • 2004/6/30 22:39

• Big_Bro

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/2/26

They also sent a similar email to a friend of mine who hosts a simple and rather small ikonboard, placing him in some kind of server purgatory and calling him an "abuser." The site hasn't changed in style or traffic in two years, yet somehow they decided that they didn't like hosting it anymore.

Seems like Lunar pages is trying to cut some costs, look elsewhere.

Speaking of, any recommendations for a reliable and fast XOOPS host for a site with over 1,000 visitors a day? I see ads here all the time from hosting providers but I'd like to hear it from an end user rather than a salesman, anyone have a host they are very happy with and that can easily handle a moderate amount of traffic?

brash
  • 2004/6/30 22:41

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Depends on budget mainly, but a dedicated server in a datacenter will cost anywhere between about $50USD and $150USD a month I would think, depending on if you supply the hardware or not. If you are not already you may want to look at running something like Google Ads on your site as a low fuss means of countering the increased cost of hosting. You'll never get rich from Google Ads, but if you have enough traffic you should be able to have all your hosting costs paid for.

Basically you want to find a datacenter with a huge pipe that is closely linked to the major Internet backbone. Ususally the USA has the best deals due to the huge amount of competition and amount of avaialble bandwidth.

tayling
  • 2004/6/30 22:44

• tayling

• Just popping in

Yes you are right - what do i need do you reckon? I am a little shocked by their attitude i must say.
Any help greatly appreciated

Regards

Tony

brash
  • 2004/6/30 23:00

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Start googling

What you are looking for is your own server in a datacenter with backup (such as UPS & generator, on call tech, garanteed response times etc) who has a big fat connection directly to the Internet backbone. Obviously it has all got to be within your budget, but I'll leave that to you.

tayling
  • 2004/6/30 23:17

• tayling

• Just popping in

here is an email they sent yesterday
looks like phpbb may be a culprit - if I upgrade to 2.0.7 do yo uthink it might comply?

Hello,

Due to the increasing number of exploits in older versions of PHP-Nuke and phpBB, we are asking all our customers to upgrade to the newest version. It is important to ensure all scripts are utilizing the most recent versions. Upgrading will ensure the security of your site as well as the server.

If you are using either of these scripts, please log into your cpanel and use the upgrade option. After logging into your cpanel, click on “Scripts Library”. Click on the script you would like to upgrade and then click the upgrade button.

Please upgrade as soon as possible as we will begin monitoring the servers for older versions of the scripts in the next 24 hours.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Lunarpages Support

jw716
  • 2004/6/30 23:32

• jw716

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/1 2

I guess I had better check my mail and start looking also.
I use XOOPS with the IPB mod. Use about 5 Gb bandwidth per month. Only have 1 site.

Ya know, they just installed this fantastico and the way it is set up you can't add any of their programs without paying for another db (that would be 1 db per program) and some of the programs don't even use the db.
I wanted to try the form builder and tried to load it just to see how it worked.
Quote:
You have reached the maximum of allowed MySQL databases. Fantastico can not proceed with installations until you upgrade your account or reduce the number of used databases (for example by uninstalling a script).

I have 5 different prefixes in my db so I guess I will get a letter also.

Login

Who's Online

129 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 129

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits