domineaux
Theme issues that may affect you...later

Like everyone here I've tried many different themes. I've been excited to acquire some and later excited to be rid of them.

I've gone back to the XOOPS default theme. I now start and do all modifications starting with the default theme. I've got an old copy of Frontpage 2002 and I use the CSS tools in it to alter my style sheets starting with the XOOPS default theme.

Here is what I started to encounter. Mod builders use the default themes for their mods first, that is if they're wanting to assure complete compatibility with Xoops.

When theme builders create their themes separately from the XOOPS default they seem to miss fundamental things within the themes that are addressed within the default XOOPS theme.

The way around this is for theme builders to start with XOOPS default template and carefully work around it to maintain complete compatibility with XOOPS core, third party mods and hacks.

This can be a serious issue as so many new mods are being released, and theme builders just cannot build around all the mods. It is just not possible time wise to keep 100% XOOPS compatibilty and create from scratch a totally unique theme. I should mention there are some theme builders that really know their stuff, but they are the exception.

I've spent days trying to work around theme issues, because I was totally committed to make a certain unique theme workable with my sites. I spent over a week on one recently and then loaded one module with some interesting features. The title lines, headers and everything were a nightmare to configure throughout the site with all the other mods I had installed.

I finally gave up...started over with the XOOPS default theme and modified the CSS (style sheet). It is working well, the site looks great and I can expect every mod I install on the site to be compatible. That's a real relief.

----------------------

kahumbu
Re: Theme issues that may affect you...later
  • 2004/6/6 1:20

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

Quote:

domineaux wrote:
The way around this is for theme builders to start with XOOPS default template and carefully work around it to maintain complete compatibility with XOOPS core, third party mods and hacks.

Thanks for this observation. I am happy to tell you that the Documentation Team is working on a document that dissects the default theme. It is now in its final draft and might be released to the public soon.

Login

Who's Online

209 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 209

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits