Ifrit
Comments on forum.
  • 2004/5/24 21:27

• Ifrit

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/7/6 8

Ok i am no coder, i am no programmer, i have no idea if this is possible so dont shoot me down if im asking for the impossible

Here goes:

I dislike the current xoops' news comment system, i really do :P

So i was wondering, is it possible to... i better type in an example because i cant explain myself heh...

I login as my site's administrator, i type in a news article, great.
At the same time, a new topic is created on the Forum module, at a predestinated forum under a predestinated category.
This new topic is just like the news article that i posted on xoops, it has the same title and the same content.
Then if a user clicks the 'Comments?' link under every news article, the user will be redirected to this newly created topic on my forum, and in here he can comment all he wants about the news, all of that already inside the forum

This way all the news on the site would have it's own topic on the forum, where users could discuss more openly about the news.

Please tell me i made myself clear

Ps. Either this or direct me to where i can get different comment systems.

~Is it possible? Thanks!

limecity
Re: Comments on forum.
  • 2004/5/24 21:40

• limecity

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/7/6 0

Oh.. a nut in a nutshell..

you want to link the NEWS comment as a discussion in the forum?

Here's a idea for u..
maybe you can hack the template of the news index page..

In the current News module..
you have READ MORE and COMMENTS

If you are capable of hacking, you add another Link there..
DISCUSS IN FORUM , link it to one of your forum categories where is redirects the user to the new topic form directly.

you might want to create a new category called News Forum. All the comments on news will be centralized there.

hope u understand what i am trying to explain here.~

Brad
  • 2004/5/24 21:43

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2003/12/4

You made yourself clear enough to me, though that doesn't help any.

I too would like what you've asked for. However, it would mean that the forum become core-ly integrated with XOOPS and that's probably not going to happen. If I ever get my new website of the freakin' ground, I may look into this more as (as I've mentioned) I'd like to have the comments system replaced by the forum.

Ifrit
  • 2004/5/24 21:50

• Ifrit

• Just popping in

catscity:
I have done so , yes my 'Comments?' link thingie does link to my forum, i can manage that, but what i was looking for was a link directing to an automatically created topic, XOOPS would create such a topic each time i posted a news article, so that the commenter would be directed exactly to the spot where he can comment.

Only because i believe it would be rather awckward to have the users browse to all the news related topics in this News Forum category just to comment.

Thanks~

Brad:
I figured as much, how have you countered this up until now? I mean what have you done, if you have done anything?

I just dislike the way the comments are displayed, it looks like the forum gets embedded into the comment area. Maybe ill just edit away with it's template to make it look less like that.

Thanks~

Brad
  • 2004/5/25 2:59

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:
Ifrit wrote:
I figured as much, how have you countered this up until now? I mean what have you done, if you have done anything?

I just dislike the way the comments are displayed, it looks like the forum gets embedded into the comment area. Maybe ill just edit away with it's template to make it look less like that.

I haven't done anything yet. When I finally do get around to looking into it, I think I'll try to tie the comment system directly to the forums. I dislike how anti-conversation (some may disagree with me) the comment system is. Sending comments to the forum will result in more robust conversations, in my opinion.

Ifrit
  • 2004/5/25 20:01

• Ifrit

• Just popping in

I share the same idea, maybe this could be something added extra to a next release i dunno, i hope so.

irmtfan
  • 2004/5/26 13:12

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

fabulous
i think this feature not impossible without share database between other modules and newbb.
yeah maybe can use this for sections comments, gallery comments ,mydownlods comment, ...

kahumbu
  • 2004/5/26 14:45

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

This is definitely possible but this setup would have to be a customization procedure per site. Adding this within the 'default' XOOPS installation would defeat the purpose of a modular implementation of features as you have 1 module dependent on another. Some XOOPS site will not have forums, some will use other forum mods like phpBB or IPB.

The comments system is part of the core (I think) and it allows other modules to have a comment system even without newbb.

But, honestly, I think this is a really nice feature to have.

Brad
  • 2004/5/31 13:07

• Brad

• Not too shy to talk

Yes, perhaps a newBB administration option where you can tell it to hijack the comment system away from the core.

kahumbu
  • 2004/5/31 13:34

• kahumbu

• Documentation Writer

• Since: 2003/8/23

I think instead of hijacking or pulling data into NewBB, the script developed should be 'pushing' data into NewBB. A one-click procedure within the News Module could just extract the title, the lead paragraphs into the NewBB tables. This script can then be ported to other modules.

Login

Who's Online

185 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 185

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits